Radiator upgrade time! Gen 3

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre NA engine

Radiator upgrade time! Gen 3

Postby greenlib69 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:53 pm

Ok so my OEM plastic tank radiator decided to crack, I've been researching possible full aluminium radiators,

I have read this thread from SLI [url]http://sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=19469&p=222151&hilit=radiator#p222151[url]

And are looking to purchase a dual core aluminium radiator as well as some aesthetically pleasing red silicone hoses :)

[url]http://cgi.ebay.com.au/52mm-aluminum-alloy-radiator-Subaru-Wrx-STI-GDB-GD8-GDA-/290532043694?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43a50f2bae#ht_1535wt_905[url]

Now what I need is some opinions on whether I should get a 42mm or 52mm radiator and the difference in size and fitments to go with, both are the same price.

Thanks for any comments or help. :)

BTW my car is a MY99 GEN3 BE5 Liberty RX (EJ25 non-turbo)
MY99 Metallic Green Manual Gen 3 Subaru Liberty RX Sedan
Mods: X-Force exhaust cannon tip, Aluminium Sports Radiator, Kart boy short shifter
Planned mods: Suspension Bushes, Custom Struts and Springs or Billies
greenlib69

Re: Radiator upgrade time! Gen 3

Postby sheppo9 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:48 am

Your car is MT? If it's an auto it won't work - unless you get a cooler for that aswell.

I've got one of those same ones in my car, the wide version. It's alot thicker than the O.E one, and as such, when you bolt on the fan's and shrouds (you need bolts to suit, stock comes with coarse screws which don't work), it sits alot closer to the pulley's.
My A/C fan blades (the R/H side one) where touching the top radiator hose (I checked all this before I actually drove the car) so I ran without that fan for a while then got a slimline fan to replace it.
The main cooling fan (L/H side one) is maybe 2mm from touching the A/C idler bracket, I filed the bracket down abit for more clearance, but I'm thinking about swapping this for a slimline fan too - but then will need some sort of coolant reservoir too.
There's also an overflow nipple on the upper LH side of the radiator, you'll want to cap/seal that.
Take out the plastic drain plug (LH lower) and swap it for a brass/metal version - the plastic deteriorates.
Check the overflow nipple (where the cap goes) and make sure it's tight - mine wasn't, lucky the neighbour has a TIG and fixed that up.
I also used the O.E (new) radiator cap as the ASI one looked abit dodge.
It obviously takes alot more coolant (think it was 8 or 9 litres) so allow for that too if your on a budget.

If I bought one now, I'd get the 42mm one to save on the hassles with the fans.
sheppo9

Car: An Outback

Postby greenlib69 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:04 pm

Yeah its a manual, any idea where to get those extra parts for it, if I go the slim version?

OK so this radiator ain't too bad,

I also checked out a cooling pro radiator on Just Jap for $299

Seems alright, though $100 more its still affordable, should I go with the Cooling Pro or Ebay?

[url] http://justjap.com/store/product.php?productid=16852 [url]

Thanks for the reply.
Mods: X-Force exhaust cannon tip, Aluminium Sports Radiator, Kart boy short shifter
greenlib69

Postby sheppo9 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:45 am

Just get the 42mm ASI one - peeps on Rexnet think Justjap buy these and rebrand them anyways.

Which extra parts? If you get the 42mm one, all you really need is a rubber cap to suit the upper LH nipple (can't remember what size it is, 8mm at a guess) and a brass/metal drain plug (could even put a short bolt in it) on the lower LH side.
sheppo9

Car: An Outback

Postby greenlib69 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:35 am

Hey man,

Put my order through, went with Just Jap coz I bout some hoses off em too, and I don't really trust ebay :P ah well

Anyways I'll post some pics up when I get it installed later on in the week,

Had to compromise on blue hoses :( haha

Thanks sheppo for the help, it was greatly appreciated :)
greenlib69

Postby greenlib69 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:07 pm

OK fitment was good though OEM radiator cap didn't fit, drain hole already had a metal tapet which was nutloc'd,

Silicone pipes seemed pretty shitty, definitely spending correct money on factory ones in future, they also need to be trimmed to fit,

One more thing to note air intake will be obstructed, I slowly melted it to fit,

Side note: Watch out for electrolysis in radiator, main factor of "cheap" aluminium radiators failing before or after manufacture warranty... Shall be isolating radiator during the week :)

Pleased with it so far... Just the bare metal tends to get hot especially theses last few humid days! :shock:

Btw I recommend getting a clamp for the overflow nozzle and hose as coolant has leaked out a little.
Attachments
My Liberty with new radiator + hoses2.jpg
Pipes and Radiator
My Liberty with new radiator + hoses2.jpg (194.87 KiB) Viewed 4722 times
My Liberty with new radiator + hoses1.jpg
Dirty Engine Bay (overall look)
My Liberty with new radiator + hoses1.jpg (218.57 KiB) Viewed 4722 times
greenlib69

Postby migoreng » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:22 pm

Nice radiator and hoses. Did you have to ground it and what brand? I ordered a golpher full alloy 26mm core. Hopefully it will work fine. My new plastic radiator one lasted 2 weeks before getting a hairline crack.

Bad luck for me. Lol...
migoreng

Car: Liberty B4

Return to 2.5i engine specific