PLEASE HELP !!

Posts specific to the 2.0 litre NA engine

PLEASE HELP !!

Postby slushie » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:00 pm

hey everyone,

i need some help with my liberty .. it keeps switching off on me!! i've taken it to the mechanics and a service has been done also the spark plugs were changed.. worked fine for a few weeks and now its still switching off..

i've recently noticed that when i switch the car on or when im sitting at the lights.. and i just SLIGHTLY press the accelerate the rpms handle falls to 0 and the car swithces off.. its sooo annoying going to take off at the lights and then just switched off on me..

also theres a problem with the rpms around 2000 its like the car lags or loses power and then eventually will take off when it gets closer to the 3000rpms..

i'll be taking it to subaru, but not till the 10th april.. anyone know what could be causing this?? also just wondering what does the dyno machine actually do/test??

thanks guys :D :D :D
slushie

Car: MY05 Sedan

Re: PLEASE HELP !!

Postby teK-- » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:53 pm

manual or auto transmission?
MY04 2.5i Safety 5MT Sedan "Project Locomotive"
..: JDM Subaru-AVO-Whiteline-Bilstein-Swift Springs-Cusco-Rallitek-GT Brakes-Remsa-K4RT30Y-Blitz-Philips-Défi-STI-Sabelt-Redline-Alpine-Polk Audio-Kenwood-Dynamat :..
teK--
-stickered-

Postby slushie » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:55 pm

it's auto ..
slushie

Postby teK-- » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:04 pm

did you mention the stalling/hesitation issue when the car went in?

There are many causes I can think of aside from spark plugs, has the check engine light ever come on?
..: JDM Subaru-AVO-Whiteline-Bilstein-Swift Springs-Cusco-Rallitek-GT Brakes-Remsa-K4RT30Y-Blitz-Philips-Défi-STI-Sabelt-Redline-Alpine-Polk Audio-Kenwood-Dynamat :..
teK--
-stickered-

Postby slushie » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:22 pm

the service was done a few weeks back (maybe a month or so) at that moment there wasn't really a problem with the hesitation that has only recently started..

The engine light's never come on ..

but what does the E/T 0:00 (in the display section) mean? I'm not quiet sure what that is but it has flashed about 2-3 times at 0:07 i think it was .. i don't know if thats anything related? I don't know much about cars lol
slushie

Postby teK-- » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:11 pm

E/T is the trip time. I.e. how long you've been driving since you started the engine.

To be honest with the limited symptoms you have it may be worth taking the car back so they can check all the obvious causes; we are otherwise going on a game of charades trying to work out what it is :)
teK--
-stickered-

Postby smythie » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:16 pm

When the info display flashes up E/T 0:00 does it then return to the previous time or does it start counting again? If the latter I think that is valuable information for people when you ask them to solve your problem. Usually that elapsed time counter only resets when the Engine starts
Flag Bitch

MY06 3.0RB
smythie

Car: MY06 3RB - Blue

Postby slushie » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:25 pm

umm i'm not quiet sure if it continues or starts over i havent really been paying attention to it because i didnt know what it was and also because i always leave it on the temp..

i'll definately be taking it to Subaru but like i said that wont be until like 2 weeks time so i thought might as well give it a shot on here and see if anyone else has had the same problem or might know whats causing it..

thanks anyway guys, much appreciated :D
slushie

Postby Nizmatik » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:54 pm

Hi Slushie,

I can probably only comment on the '2000rpm' issue as it seems to have been brought up a few times for 2.0R owners. I own a 2.0R (Manual) myself, and also experienced the an issue with the car 'lagging' in between 2000rpm and 3000rpm. Apparently it required a ECU reset - which I managed to do by disconnecting the battery, held the brake pedal for 20 secs then released. On my model, all the presets on my Stereo disappeared which indicated the reset was done.

Unexpectly the issue was resolved after this? I literally did not have the issue after this, and the problem was definately there before the reset. This may or may not work, I got this advice from other threads on regarding the same issue. Would this affect your 'cutting issue' I wouldn't know though.

Nizmatik
Nizmatik

Car: Subaru 2006 2.0R Manual

Postby soobcontingency » Sun May 02, 2010 6:51 pm

Hey Slushie,

Have encountered almost the same issue here with mine. Mine doesnt choke but has the surging issue between 2 and 3k rpm. I have had the "latest" software applied to my car by the subaru dealer however with varying degree of success. It is related apparently specifically to the engine management software and is a problem subaru knows about, according to them only the 2 litre models in the liberty are affected, not the 2.5. To quote the tech at soob, 95% of them we can fix, 5% fall into the unfixable category. For now I have little in the way of surging issues but the cars overall power is down and the fuel consumption is way up. Interesting to note that vee dub are having the same problem with their polo range only worse as the motors are dying completely and requiring replacement. Taking mine back again this week for the 4th time. :angry2:
soobcontingency

Car: MY07 Liberty 2.0R

Postby slushie » Mon May 03, 2010 6:51 pm

Mine has actually gotten worse. The problem i'm having now with it is that when I turn it on and i put it into reverse it will just turn off without me even moving the car just putting it ins reverse. Im so over this car. I've taken it to Subaru twice and they can't find the problem. The first time they put it on the dyno machine found everything is working okay, went for a drive with one of the mechanics and ofcourse it didn't happen then. The second time i had to take it in because my engine light turned on and automtically shut off my cruise control, they fixed that up but still can't find the problem with the shutting down. So looks like I'm going to be wihtout a car for a few days as I now have to leave it with them. Not having a very good experince with Subaru at the moment.
slushie

Postby soobcontingency » Tue May 04, 2010 6:14 pm

Is it still under warranty?
soobcontingency

Car: MY07 Liberty 2.0R

Postby slushie » Tue May 04, 2010 7:24 pm

I don't have a clue. It's a 05 model so I would assume it would have 5yrs?? But the last owner didn't have any paperwork so I guess not. I'm leaving it with Subaru this week so I guess we will wait and see what happens. :(
slushie

Return to 2.0R engine specific