Test Drove a Liberty

Posts specific to the 2.0 litre NA engine

Test Drove a Liberty

Postby deeps » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:59 am

Just test drove a Liberty MY07 2.0R liberty. Was a really nice drive, loved the engine sound, and nice experience all around.

First question, the clutch pedal felt very stiff. Is this normal or does that mean it's on the way out?

Also, shifting into third, there was a slight grind. All other gears were fine. Is this a synchro problem? How much would it cost to repair?

Regards
deeps

Car: Subaru Liberty MY07 2.0R

Re: Test Drove a Liberty

Postby teK-- » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:20 am

Yes the clutch pedal is quite firm in our cars, it is not a fault.

Depending on how long it's been since the transmission fluid was changed there might be a slight grind into some gears; perhaps ask the seller when the last time it was changed? Also our manual transmissions are very picky as to the fluid type as well. Castrol Multitrax and Syntrax works well except for much higher mileage cars.

Have you driven the 2.5i? It may be worth that little bit more over the 2.0R as it is much less lethargic.
MY04 2.5i Safety 5MT Sedan "Project Locomotive"
..: JDM Subaru-AVO-Whiteline-Bilstein-Swift Springs-Cusco-Rallitek-GT Brakes-Remsa-K4RT30Y-Blitz-Philips-Défi-STI-Sabelt-Redline-Alpine-Polk Audio-Kenwood-Dynamat :..
teK--
-stickered-

Postby Hobber » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:25 am

I was about to make the same post about the 2.0 v the 2.5i if you can its probably worth stepping up a bit.

Subaru stopped selling the 2.0 after 2007...

However be wary of a Grey 2007 2.5i at auction in the coming months... I should post the VIN here so people know the car to avoid :)
Hobber

Car: MY10 GT Premium

Postby nytrojen » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:26 am

teK-- wrote:Yes the clutch pedal is quite firm in our cars, it is not a fault.

Depending on how long it's been since the transmission fluid was changed there might be a slight grind into some gears; perhaps ask the seller when the last time it was changed? Also our manual transmissions are very picky as to the fluid type as well. Castrol Multitrax and Syntrax works well except for much higher mileage cars.

Have you driven the 2.5i? It may be worth that little bit more over the 2.0R as it is much less lethargic.

That said... it's still quite lethargic... maybe I should hook up an electric vac to the intake and set it to blow? DIY electro turbo!
nytrojen
-stickered-

Postby teK-- » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:13 am

I don't know if your expectations are just high Avon, or whether your 2.5i is in need of a decent tank of fuel and a good service. Although mine is no speed demon it is actually pretty brisk for driving around town. It's only on the straight, open road that I wish I had more powahhh for overtaking :)
MY04 2.5i Safety 5MT Sedan "Project Locomotive"
..: JDM Subaru-AVO-Whiteline-Bilstein-Swift Springs-Cusco-Rallitek-GT Brakes-Remsa-K4RT30Y-Blitz-Philips-Défi-STI-Sabelt-Redline-Alpine-Polk Audio-Kenwood-Dynamat :..
teK--
-stickered-

Postby deeps » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:38 am

Unfortunately 2.5's are too old or too many km's for my liking

The 2.0R wasn't what I call powerful, but it seemed powerful enough. Back in the day I was more concerned about fast cars etc. but i've got over that phase, and as long as the car isn't sluggish, i'm ok with it. Plus, the manual guise seems reasonable.

The transmission fluid hasn't been changed..

I did some reading, and yes, it seems the clutch is normally heavy, so that's not an issue.
deeps

2.0 was always gutless

Postby GTB Liberty » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:41 am

I would never purchase the 2.0. The 2.2 NA was gutless enough.
MY08 Liberty GT Spec B Manual SEDAN | TEAM White | Verso tuned @ ASG 240 Hp & 372 Nm hub dyno| STi | BBK M turbo | GriMspeed | Brembo | Valentine V1 | ECUdatascan | PROVA | HKS | Zero Sports | Phat Performance Parts | ACME | Whiteline | Enkei | Dixcel | Cusco
" . . . and on the 8th day God made Subaru . . . on the 9th supposedly the V8 . . . and on the 10th turbo lag so the V8s would think they had a chance "
GTB Liberty

Car: MY08 Liberty GT Spec B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?t=5714

Postby nytrojen » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:20 pm

teK-- wrote:I don't know if your expectations are just high Avon, or whether your 2.5i is in need of a decent tank of fuel and a good service. Although mine is no speed demon it is actually pretty brisk for driving around town. It's only on the straight, open road that I wish I had more powahhh for overtaking :)

Oh don't get me wrong, driving around town it's a gem. As soon as i get onto open roads and plant the foot though... there's that sudden sense of disappointment and a deep longing in my loins for MOAR POWAAAAAR

That said, it IS coming up to its 100k service. Been counting down the weeks, lol. I just wanna get it over an done with an celebrate the milestone! Birthday cake maybe?

Also: I think the manual cog-shifter would make a fair bit of difference at least to the feel of the driving involvement. Even driving my Aunt's little Yaris is more enjoyable simply cos it's a manual, compared to my dad's (still on it's way) auto Yaris
nytrojen
-stickered-

Postby deeps » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:21 am

I think i'm going to purchase it, it's from a dealer, and has warranty, (extended, not the basic) and so if the synchro's are worn, i can get them done under warranty. Clutch is not covered as it's an AWD, but as mentioned above, it is meant to be stiffer than other vehicles.

Everything else is in good nick, the driver armrest is a little wrinkled, which seems to be a common subi problem. 4 new tyres, so guess i'll go ahead with it
deeps

Postby klam » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:09 am

I wish I'd seen this before I've bought mine MY06 2.0R. It lacks a go a bit but it's not really that bad. Anyone up to buying mine? : )
klam

Car: Subaru Liberty 2006 4GEN MY06 2.0R

Return to 2.0R engine specific