Clutch noise?

Posts specific to the 2.0 litre NA engine

Clutch noise?

Postby stefan9155 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:45 pm

Hey guys,
A family friend has been learning how to drive manual on my car, so he's pretty new to it all. He seems to be pretty heavy on his foot. The problem is, every time he takes off there's a grinding noise. He seems to accelerate at high revs while the clutch isnt fully released. Is this some sort of protection or is there a problem? The noise is like grinding two pieces of metal btw. Thanks
19" HRS Rims 2.25" Magnaflow catback exhaust Carbon Fibre Grille Genuine Momo Gearknob
stefan9155

Car: MY05 Liberty 2.0R

Re: Clutch noise?

Postby teK-- » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:05 am

Slap some sense into him before he wrecks your car. He sounds like he's slipping your clutch something chronic (leads to heat buildup and accelerated wear).

A good test to take him on is go to a deserted carpark which is flat, then tell him he can't use the accelerator. he must get the car to engage 1st gear without stalling the car. Once he can do this repeatedly without stalling, then he can start using the accelerator to move the car ONLY once his foot is fully off the clutch pedal. That should be some good discipline and will give him a good feel of when he should start adding gas.
MY04 2.5i Safety 5MT Sedan "Project Locomotive"
..: JDM Subaru-AVO-Whiteline-Bilstein-Swift Springs-Cusco-Rallitek-GT Brakes-Remsa-K4RT30Y-Blitz-Philips-Défi-STI-Sabelt-Redline-Alpine-Polk Audio-Kenwood-Dynamat :..
teK--
-stickered-

Postby Sentinel » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:56 am

teK-- wrote:Slap some sense into him before he wrecks your car. He sounds like he's slipping your clutch something chronic (leads to heat buildup and accelerated wear).

A good test to take him on is go to a deserted carpark which is flat, then tell him he can't use the accelerator. he must get the car to engage 1st gear without stalling the car. Once he can do this repeatedly without stalling, then he can start using the accelerator to move the car ONLY once his foot is fully off the clutch pedal. That should be some good discipline and will give him a good feel of when he should start adding gas.

That's the way I learnt!! :good:
Memoirs of Sentinel:
GT-B | Black | Wagon | Manual | Brembo's | 19"x8 Blaque Diamond Wheels | Tein C/O's w EDFC | Custom Interior | PHAT Zorst | WL Sways | STi Stuff...
Sentinel
-stickered-

Postby sheppo9 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:58 am

Sentinel wrote:
teK-- wrote:Slap some sense into him before he wrecks your car. He sounds like he's slipping your clutch something chronic (leads to heat buildup and accelerated wear).

That's the way I learnt!! :good:

By getting slapped?
sheppo9

Car: An Outback

Postby Sentinel » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:24 am

LOL! :oops: Nah not that bit! haha. :D
Memoirs of Sentinel:
GT-B | Black | Wagon | Manual | Brembo's | 19"x8 Blaque Diamond Wheels | Tein C/O's w EDFC | Custom Interior | PHAT Zorst | WL Sways | STi Stuff...
Sentinel
-stickered-

Postby mihai » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:32 pm

is it like a chirp?

when i got my car it made this 'chirp' sound when releasing the clutch at high revs.

turned out to be an issue with the dual mass flywheel and i took it back to subaru as it was a manufacturer defect. My entire clutch assembly was replaced under warranty, however some people have been lucky to have theirs replaced for free out of warranty.

cheers
Michael
[New: MY11 FPV F6 | Winter White | Pioneer DEX-P99RS | Alpine PDX-F6 | Alpine PDX-M12 | JL Audio 12W7-AE ]
[Old: MY07 2.0R | Urban Grey | 5 MT | 6000k HID | LED | Alpine IVA-W502E | Alpine PDX1.1000 | Alpine PDX4.150 | JL Audio 12W7v3 | Focal KRX2 ]
mihai

Car: MY07 Liberty 2.0R + MY11 FPV F6

Postby stefan9155 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:01 pm

Yeah it's a chirp noise when releasing the clutch at high revs, I just realised, didn't know how to put it into words. I'll take it into Subaru as soon as i can. Thanks buddy :)
19" HRS Rims 2.25" Magnaflow catback exhaust Carbon Fibre Grille Genuine Momo Gearknob
stefan9155

Car: MY05 Liberty 2.0R

Postby teK-- » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:20 pm

Let us know the outcome Stefan. When I first got my Subie I had that chirp sound a few times when I slipped the clutch too much from higher revs say about 4500 or so. It was either slip the clutch or I would risk lunching my gearbox; well that was my logic anyway. I thought the noise was normal?

Haven't been game to try it again since, now most of my launches if I need to get away quickly are at 3000 with a little bit of slip hehe.
MY04 2.5i Safety 5MT Sedan "Project Locomotive"
..: JDM Subaru-AVO-Whiteline-Bilstein-Swift Springs-Cusco-Rallitek-GT Brakes-Remsa-K4RT30Y-Blitz-Philips-Défi-STI-Sabelt-Redline-Alpine-Polk Audio-Kenwood-Dynamat :..
teK--
-stickered-

Return to 2.0R engine specific