2004 Liberty GT Central locking issues

Posts specific to the 2.0 litre NA engine

2004 Liberty GT Central locking issues

Postby BlessedKarma » Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:06 pm

Good afternoon

I have a 2004 LIberty GT which started having central locking issues about a year ago. Both front and rear drivers side doors would longer unlock or lock using the central locking but the passenger side of the car worked fine.

About 6 months later all 4 of my doors stopped unlocking and locking with the button on the key and i have been using my key to manually open the driver's door since.

What could the issue be? i find it odd if all 4 lock actuators have all failed within a year of each other. I have replaced the battery in the keys as a first step but obviously, this was not the issue.

Could it be the central locking module or something else causing the locking on all 4 doors to fail?

the boot still opens fine with the button on the key. This is starting to do my head in as i don't even now where to start with diagnosing this.

Any help would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
BlessedKarma

Car: 2004 Liberty GT 5Spd

Re: 2004 Liberty GT Central locking issues

Postby bigBADbenny » Thu Aug 03, 2023 5:53 pm

Usually the door actuator motors fail…
Or the plastic casing that locates the motors in the door lock actuator assembly bursts open meaning the motor worm drive won’t actuate the cog that moves the lever that actuated the lock.

Without removing the door lock actuators to inspect them it’s hard to tell which failure mode it is.

However you can potentially use a multimeter to test the drivers master door lock switch master lock button.

That the boot still opens with the key suggests it’s not an issue with the wireless security.

Either way, fixing the actuators or replacing them is fiddly but possible.

Eg eBay motors, scrape any old glue from the housing joins, clean the mating surfaces with iso or thinners and use lock tite super glue and hold the asst together with small woodworking clamps till cured.

You might find your replacements at the self serve wreckers. a local partout or new online.

Pre and Postfl actuators have different polarities, I simply cut and reordered the wires.
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Return to 2.0R engine specific