Turboing

Posts specific to the 2.0 litre NA engine

Turboing

Postby BlindAuror » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:34 pm

Hey all,

I am very interested in turboing my 01 Liberty. I have found a turbo kit online but before I went ahead with anything I thoughts i'd come and discuss this with other owners. Bit of back ground info I'm not an 18 year old that just wants to turbo his car to get that sweet power or whatever. I am looking at this because I can do the work with some mechanic mates so the cost will be down. I just wanted some info if anyone else has done this and if they encountered anything major issues (upgrading clutch, brakes or drivetrain). If this is a fools errand and I shouldn't do it then please explain exactly why.

Thanks in advance.

Joel
BlindAuror

Car: RX 3GEn

Re: Turboing

Postby Adrian2627 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:03 pm

It's certainly doable and there are a couple of ways to go about it. The first is what you are looking at and buying a turbo kit and retrofitting it to your current engine. With the BE/BH the ECU could be an issue as I don't think they were a case of just reflashing a new tune.

You'd have to go with an aftermarket ECU like a Haltech, Motech, etc. There are a few to choose from so you'll have to do some research. You'll also have to work out an intercooler system be it a stock style top mount requiring a new bonnet, a front mount which will require a bit of body work, or a water-to-air which a few guys have run successfully.

You'd then have to look at the exhaust and as you're going to have to have a dump pipe fab'd as your kit probably won't fit any off-the-shelf pipes. You'd have to upgrade your fuel system as well to cope with the extra demand. That's just all the bolt on bit and what you'll need before you even look at rebuilding your engine to suite boost. The standard comp ratio was something like 10:1 so you'd be looking at very low boost, 4-6psi max on 98 and not much more even on E85.

If you're prepared to do it and do something a little different then go for it. Personally, I'd go with an EG33 or EZ30 and be really different as the 2.5 is notorious for eating head gaskets.

The other option is to grab a halfcut from a JDM STi Impreza or even a BL/BP Legacy. From 04 or 05, GDB E i think, the ECU was tunable and a half cut usually comes with everything you need including a nice 6 speed and matching R180 diff. You're still going to have to do fuel and exhaust but at least the engine is built for boost with lower comp ratios, strengthened rods, etc. It's arguably the cheaper and easier way to go and you'll be able to use more off-the-shelf parts.

With either you are going to have upgrade brakes, suspension, and cooling and then get it all engineered so there's going to have to be a lot of planning and number crunching before you even spin a spanner.

Good luck.
Adrian2627

Car: BP5F (MY09) Legacy 2.0 GT Spec B

Return to 2.0R engine specific