2.0R (EJ204) vibration/tremble when stopped and 2000rpm

Posts specific to the 2.0 litre NA engine

2.0R (EJ204) vibration/tremble when stopped and 2000rpm

Postby lz2nkm » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:59 pm

I have very strange issue with my 2.0R car (EJ204 engine) which I'm not sure if it's normal. When the car is stopped and I rev the engine, I feel tremble around 1800 rpm, which increase maximum at around 2100 and then gradually goes away when I increase the revs. It's like the engine goes in some king of resonance. It's not so bad but It's somehow noticeable inside. When the engine is cold It's there but a lot less intensive. When the car is in driving mode that issue is not there at all - just pulls without any tremble in that rev ranges. I tried another 2.0R (MY08) and I can feel the same tremble but it's less intensive (maybe like mine when the engine just started). I don't think it's something with spark plugs as the car starts fine, pulls good, no issues at all. So can you tell me how are yours, is that normal for these engines and I feel it a bit more because there is some engine mount which is a bit aged or something like that?... Never have opposite engine before.
lz2nkm

Car: Impreza 2.0R 5MT MY06

Re: 2.0R (EJ204) vibration/tremble when stopped and 2000rpm

Postby bigBADbenny » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:23 pm

Get hold of a Tactrix or BtSsm and log your inlet and exhaust avcs vvt angles.
Otherwise log cylinder misfires, if that's an issue, twist the pins on the coil pack loom plug connection or replace the affected coil pack.
Or it could be related to shagged engine/tranny mounts...
If you're in Melb I can help out. :)
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby lz2nkm » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:22 pm

bigBADbenny wrote:If you're in Melb I can help out. :)

I wish to visit Melbourne someday, but I am far, far away from Australia. :)

Anyway, I have cable and checked the logs already but no issues. This engine have only inlet AVCS but the cams move synchronous all the time. Also when the car is not moving they stay at 0 degrees, no matter the revs. There are no misfires, and generally no issues found in the logs. Car runs fine, that's why my doubt was going on the engine mounts.
lz2nkm

Postby lz2nkm » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:26 pm

So this morning I started it on -11C (it's cold up here), and I noticed that when it is cold the tremple is feel above 3000 to 4000, but not on 2-3k rpm. When it's hot the max intensity is feel at 2250 rpm, begins around 1900 and it's fades away to 2600. Maybe that is normal tremble from that engine. When I drive it it's very smooth.
lz2nkm

Return to 2.0R engine specific