Shifting gears : clatter sound from front

Posts specific to the 2.0 litre NA engine

Shifting gears : clatter sound from front

Postby klam » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:00 am

guys, I've just recently noticed, that once shifting gears, an annoying sound (I can't describe it well it's something between bang / clatter) is coming from the front of the car, especially when releasing the clutch pedal hence the car is getting quicker push forward. This is especially noticeable at 1,2,3rd gear as where the push is quite noticeable. And the sound is produced only once. If I try to drive granny style then I could avoid it a bit. It feels like something is lose, I've made sure the suspension strut mounts are properly tightened and so is the locking nut, won't move an inch, but I still think this is a source of the problems.
I was thinking it could be clutch related, but the sound is "stereo" from both left and right sides, something I could hear it when driving over the speed bumps, but not always.

Car is 2006, 125K kms on the clock, suspensions not changed yet I reckon (second hand).

where shall I look at next? thanks
klam

Car: Subaru Liberty 2006 4GEN MY06 2.0R

Re: Shifting gears : clatter sound from front

Postby bigBADbenny » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:21 am

Any clicking when turning? CV's...
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby klam » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:55 am

bigBADbenny wrote:Any clicking when turning? CV's...

nope, not when turning... cv boots were replaced 2 months ago but one never knows!
klam

Postby klam » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:23 pm

well, friend of mine had a look and he said he checked all the bushings, cv's, boots, silentblocks, suspension etc etc, but everything is pretty my ok (no cracks, loose stuff and so on). What he did as well was that he detached the engine from the dock bone and tried to reproduce it, and the sound was gone. hence he reckons it must be somewhere behind the firewall. you can reproduce this problem with quickly releasing and pressing the clutch pedal, and there is this sound...he also said that they tried to listen to it, and from within the engine bay one can't hear, whereas from the inside the you can. so apparently it's not the engine, nor clutch, nor suspension related...
any ideas what it could be??
klam

Postby SubaruDIY20 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:40 pm

did you ever find out what it was @klam?
SubaruDIY20

Car: LIBERTY WAGON 2006

Postby bigBADbenny » Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:40 am

Based on the test above, I’d guess the stock engine pitch stop mount was worn out.

The bushes in mine were well cracked at 250k km, replaced with an STi grpN type.
I also did the grpN gearbox mount at the same time, no major increase in NVH with the stock engine mounts...
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Return to 2.0R engine specific