Torque app : (O2) readings

Posts specific to the 2.0 litre NA engine

Torque app : (O2) readings

Postby klam » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:11 am

guys,

I think I need some explanation on the o2 readings from the torque app via the obd2 connector (elmxxx).
On idling the values are the following
Intake 5.1psi
MAF 3.2g/s
Revs: 845
Load: 2.4%
o2s1Eq: 1.0
Timing Advance: 14.0
Throttle 10.2%

What I'm curious about is
- the throttle opening seems right?
- although the equivalence ratio seems to be right, but the voltage on the parameter: o2 volts bank 1 sensor 2 : swings from 0.1 to 0.8 but not in any periodic matter... most of the time it sitswell below 0.5.
- AFR ratio on idling is 14.6, but while driving it goes up to 22 and down to 10 or less..
- regarding the 02 sensor settings in torque app in the Test Results section, I couldn't get ANY reading to give a nice sinus! Basically only that could come close to it would be the O2 1x2. Anything other than that is just not right, but even values from this parameters are definitely nowhere near the sinus graph ;) Isn't the 02 1x2 the post cat sensor ? shouldn't that be steady? Is the catalyst ok ?

I've uploaded some values from the short trip I've made (the engine was warmed up before the trip).

What I need would be someone to have a look at the data (will do another trip with more settings and could send it) and explain if there is anything ok.

I have a multimeter, how could I test the sensors (both the front and rear) with it? Where should the probes go and what should be the values ?

Cheers,

M
klam

Car: Subaru Liberty 2006 4GEN MY06 2.0R

Re: Torque app : (O2) readings

Postby bigBADbenny » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:29 am

Good questions and I hope an expert can answer them all.
I just wanted to ask some more:
What do you mean by sinus?
Does your car have any particular issue you are trying to diagnose?
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby klam » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:00 pm

sorry for not being clear enough... sinusoidal wave is something I was expecting from the o2 voltage readings, but the graph I get is very arbitrary. first of all I think what I need to get cleared for me is the :
o2 bank 1 sensor 1 - it's the a/f sensor right? (pre-cat o2 sensor)
o2 bank 1 sensor 2 - it's the rear o2 sensor (post -cat)

To my knowledge the voltage readings from the front sensor should in graph should look like sinusoidal wave. This is for o2 sensors, the A/F sensors work slightly differently (?) I believe in A/F sensor's it's the equivalence ratio that is the proper measurement of how well it works (?). Maybe it's all bs what I say here but I'm learning on the go.
The rear 02 sensor's voltage should be stable, which would indicate the catalyst working just right. Mine (O2 sensor 1x2) swings rather frequently... anyone can confirm theirs?

the issue I have is the occasional flatspot, that comes... an rarely goes. clearing memory clear the problem for a while and then it comes back. no error codes. there is a dedicated thread for it. I'm focusing on the sensors again, as I think they might be fkn the ECU up, could be as well issues with the throttle body (position sensor) or knock sensor perhaps. but I've order new coil packs haha.. it's like fishing with dynamite.

funny part was, I've disconnected both o2 sensors and car was going perfectly fine ;) (not while the flatspot was present)
klam

Postby bigBADbenny » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:21 pm

For me the flat spot/hesitation on acceleration cure was cleaning a dirty MAF and getting a tune.
I have torque and can make logs / which parameters do you need?
bigBADbenny

Postby klam » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:27 pm

nah.. there is far more to it than MAF. it's more like a phantom problem where we are trying to find it, but without any apparent success. I reckon MAF is ok as that one gives proper readings based on the values in the mechanics manual. btw, I've cleaned it and it definitely didn't solve it. Few of us replaced it just to find out it didn't make any change. it's a long story and we start to think it's the ecu (our ECU is not tune-able!) along with some tiny mechanical problem no one seem to be able to locate. Mechanics don't give a shit as they could haunt it for two weeks without any success. I for example, am going to sell it (75%). poor fella who is going to get it, but I've had my time with it, it's someone else's time.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=17376&start=135.
klam

Postby klam » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:42 pm

btw I've just ordered vag-com 409.1 cable to get the SSM or freeSSM to run some tests on it.
klam

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:52 pm

klam wrote:guys,

I think I need some explanation on the o2 readings from the torque app via the obd2 connector (elmxxx).
On idling the values are the following
Intake 5.1psi
MAF 3.2g/s
Revs: 845
Load: 2.4%
o2s1Eq: 1.0
Timing Advance: 14.0
Throttle 10.2%

What I'm curious about is
- the throttle opening seems right?
- although the equivalence ratio seems to be right, but the voltage on the parameter: o2 volts bank 1 sensor 2 : swings from 0.1 to 0.8 but not in any periodic matter... most of the time it sitswell below 0.5.
- AFR ratio on idling is 14.6, but while driving it goes up to 22 and down to 10 or less..
- regarding the 02 sensor settings in torque app in the Test Results section, I couldn't get ANY reading to give a nice sinus! Basically only that could come close to it would be the O2 1x2. Anything other than that is just not right, but even values from this parameters are definitely nowhere near the sinus graph ;) Isn't the 02 1x2 the post cat sensor ? shouldn't that be steady? Is the catalyst ok ?

I've uploaded some values from the short trip I've made (the engine was warmed up before the trip).

What I need would be someone to have a look at the data (will do another trip with more settings and could send it) and explain if there is anything ok.

I have a multimeter, how could I test the sensors (both the front and rear) with it? Where should the probes go and what should be the values ?

Cheers,

M

Intake means you have around -9.5InHg of vacuum at idle as the sensor is Absolute pressure not relative to sea level etc so a value of 14.65 or so is 0psi which is roughly what you should see under full throttle
Throttle is normal as that is actually the idle control motor, as the DBW system uses the throttle to regulate airflow for idle.
Load and g/sec correlate, you should find 75g/sec is roughly 100% load :)
KiDo Racing Tunes Info: HERE

Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people
KiDo_Tuning

Car: Subarus + Nissans

Postby bigBADbenny » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:42 pm

Expert^ :mrgreen:
More banter:
So the preFL flatspot is felt and you're looking to find it via logging?

I had a major stumble when I got my postFL stock at 150k (fixed with MAF clean & tune), then just a hint occasionally doing 2nd gear pulls to 60 (kind of a flutter sensation), and none at all on my new tune...

And iirc the Wrx of a certain gen had a type of stumble fixed by inserting a DIY fuel damper: +2-3ft of fuel hose added to the in lines.
bigBADbenny

Return to 2.0R engine specific