I need clarity

Posts specific to the 2.0 litre NA engine

I need clarity

Postby Aidan13 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:48 pm

I recently contacted a tuning company with regards to upgrading my 2005 liberty gt turbo...

I got this response

"As mentioned the Gen 4 Libertys have many different turbo combinations so it is difficult to know which one will fit without actually seeing it. As far as reccomendations, we generally only reccomend the biggest standard issue turbo, VF series or TD series.
The Verso tune is the only tuning option we can provide, which is not always compatible with the early version Gen 4 Libertys"

Did the liberty gt single turbo come out with more than one turbo option? I don't have the previous twin turbo setup, so I presumed a typical turbo upgrade would be achievable. Also any suggestions on tuning options? I want a custom dyno tune if I upgrade the turbo and everything else along with it...

Any feedback/past experiences please

Cheers
Aidan13

Re: I need clarity

Postby zch91 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:23 pm

04-06GT are twinscroll

Manual = TD04HLA
Auto = VF38

Don't know what they are talking about saying early gen4 can be hard to tune. Probably talking about the NA gen4
zch91
-stickered-

Car: MY04 GT Premium - Silver 5EAT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15397

Postby Aidan13 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:14 pm

He must be trying to fob me off.. Might not want the money I guess.. I don't doubt an answer until I get my facts right first. I can only find american crap, which is throwing me off..

Does anyone have a 2.0 litre 2005 australian liberty workshop manual in PDF format?

I would like to know what turbo people have upgraded to on an Australian GT Liberty, and furthermore what up-pipe/down pipe were required? Has anyone upgraded the turbo and then used a process west TMIC?

Cheers
Aidan13

Postby zch91 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:30 pm

Where abouts are you located? Perhaps someone can chime in with a recommended workshop closeby.

USDM and AUDM Pre-facelift service manuals here
http://www.tangcla.com/temp/bl5/reference/

Have you considered steering away from the twinscroll and going Single scroll? Like the 07-09 GT Liberty

Really depends what sorf of goals you are aiming for and your budget
zch91
-stickered-

Car: MY04 GT Premium - Silver 5EAT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15397

Postby fibble » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:28 am

Maybe think about starting with just a tune on the existing 05 GT set up - you will definitely notice the results....

If you definitely want to go for a turbo upgrade, then the most painless option is a single scroll conversion. This will involve a new up pipe (twin into single), a new down pipe (to suit the new turbo) and supporting mods (better TMIC, Injectors and Intake).

You'll find some tuners in the "Tuning" section.....

Here are some links to start you off.....

viewtopic.php?f=56&t=23558

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=21584

"Search" is your friend......... :wink:
fibble

Car: GT

Postby Aidan13 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:39 pm

I will definitely be changing the turbo.

I would like to change tmic to processwest as I don't want a fmic setup.
Vf34 isn't a drastic upgrade really?

Cheers
Aidan13

Postby fibble » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:57 pm

Aidan13 wrote:Vf34 isn't a drastic upgrade really?

Cheers

Not sure if your question indicates (a) surprise that a VF34 is fairly straight forward or (b) is a view that the VF34 is not a major upgrade.....

If its (a), assuming you have a stock 05 GT, you are probably looking at around $6,000 for the full conversion - assuming that everything is new and supporting mods are high quality (eg. PW TMIC, good TBE, etc). :?

If its (b), while a VF34 is not the biggest turbo you could fit, it is one of the best for driveability in a 2.0 and anything bigger would be laggy, and might push the friendship with your pistons, rods, etc... :wink:

There are also might be other similarly sized alternatives to a VF34 from other manufacturers...
fibble

Car: GT

Postby Aidan13 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:37 pm

Ok thanks

Most importantly leaving money values out of things, I was chasing personal opinions on turbo upgrades.. Thanks for everyone's input... I am more than capable of the install but what im after is a suggested clear route in terms of parts etc tried and tested. If I had an xr6 turbo for example I can quite easily source suggested parts right down to the turbo part number.. The liberty is proving otherwise... Maybe too many options, plus people always ask what is your goal and budget... Not really the point... More a case of what has worked and what hasnt

EDIT:

I got a GTPS01 turbo, Process west TMIC, 740CC injectors, Dump pipe with high flow cat, catless up pipe, GFB recirc blow off valve, Walbro 255 pump and now I'm going to tune the ass off it..
Got rid of the Xforce exhaust, sounded shit. Stock cat back fitted for tune..

Cheers
Aidan13

Return to 2.0R engine specific