Please help - ecu faulty? 06 liberty

Posts specific to the 2.0 litre NA engine

Please help - ecu faulty? 06 liberty

Postby premier » Wed May 08, 2013 9:04 pm

Hey guys,

I bought an 06 liberty 2.0R about 3 months ago from a dealership in Perth.
The car had only done 80,000kms when I bought it and she is in immaculate condition.
Ever since I bought the car I have had some very weird problems with it.

Firstly I had some serious acceleration problems - Initially, I would be driving the car in cruise control mode - then randomly the cruise control would turn off by itself, and the cruise control light on the dash would flash.
Then after a few days more the car just randomly lost all power whilst driving at about 90kms/h - it had no acceleration at all. The car would idle but backfire and spit over 2k revs - practically wouldn't drive.
The car ended up at a Perth Subaru dealership. They determined the cause to be SILICON (in goo form) found in the fuel tank blocking the fuel pump pick-up. The reason for silicon being found in the fuel tank was believed to be from somebody using silicon as a gasket to seal the access hatch to the fuel pump/tank - and excess dripping into the tank. To be honest I didn't believe it for a second.

Got the car back for a week, then the same problem happened again. The car gets sent back to Subaru - and they tell me they think they perhaps didn't get all the silicon out of the tank.
So anyway I get the car back and she drives mint - and does so for about 5-6 weeks.

Now, earlier this week - I was driving the car in cruise control mode - and bang - it turns off again by itself and the light starts to flash.
When I got home I decided Id do the old ECU reset by disconnecting the negative terminal - hoping the problem would go away and never come back.
Good news the light is off and car seems to be driving ok - for about a day.

I start the car this morning - and this time I get the ABS light flashing!
Then I get in the car this afternoon on the way home from work, thankfully the ABS light is gone. But then about 15 minutes into the drive the cruise control light is back on flashing again! and I wasn't even in cruise control mode!

I've taken the car back to Subaru tonight.

Can anybody shed some light as to what the fuck is going on with my car?? PLEASE?

My guess is faulty ECU? I'm really hoping Subaru can fix what ever it is once and for all.
premier

Car: 06 liberty

Re: Please help - ecu faulty? 06 liberty

Postby Kekotic » Wed May 08, 2013 9:10 pm

Cruise control has nothing to do with it. When the car detects a fault it will disable cruise control and also use the cruise light as a warning indicator aka Check Engine Light (CEL)

You can connect OBD2 cable to the connector under the dash and read the CEL code. All the CEL codes are listed in the workshop manual (not user manual) which can be found around on these forums somewhere.
Kekotic
-stickered-

Car: MY07 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13066

Postby zch91 » Wed May 08, 2013 9:19 pm

I know that if your 02 sensor is on the way out, it'll throw a CEL when cruising (at a constant speed)

As Kieran said, get an OBD2 scanner and go from there.
zch91
-stickered-

Car: MY04 GT Premium - Silver 5EAT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15397

Postby d-chang » Thu May 09, 2013 12:09 am

+1 to what the guys above have said... I have the same car as yours mate and my car randomly has flat spots when accelerating... but thank goodness that hasn't been happening for quite a few months now... but I have been getting the engine light and cruise flashing.

I've looked on eBay and have found an OB2 scanner for around $100... there are cheaper ones but this is the one my mechanic uses... and because I live north of the river and my mechanic is south... bit of a trek to travel all the way to find out its something that has come up again... (in my case faulty 02 sensor..)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Launch-Cread ... dd6&_uhb=1
Below car has been gone for quite some time now... blew bottom end bearing and dealership screwed me! Now driving 2008 WRX with ~65k kms on the clock. Only has cat back exhaust and tune by KiDo at the moment! More to come... but slowly!

Purchased recently (12/11/2013), already with: Stage 2 Pedders lowered springs, rear Whiteline sway bar, Advan Racing TCII 18x8 wheels, k&N pod filter, custom 3" exhaust system from turbo back with Magnaflow mufflers. ECUTEK tune of some sort (hopefully soon to be fixed)..... now FIXED!! Now KiDo Tuned!
Added: HID kit, EZ lip equivalents to the front and sides, and various LED treatments, oem boot spoiler, [LGT WRC] plates, GFB Respons BOV for extra Pssscchhh! --> Gone... I couldn't afford it's heart transplant... but keep a look out, as it will come back on sale soon!
d-chang
-stickered-

Car: MY05 Liberty GT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=15749

Postby Kormoran » Thu May 09, 2013 3:58 pm

d-chang wrote:+1 to what the guys above have said... I have the same car as yours mate and my car randomly has flat spots when accelerating... but thank goodness that hasn't been happening for quite a few months now... but I have been getting the engine light and cruise flashing.

I've looked on eBay and have found an OB2 scanner for around $100... there are cheaper ones but this is the one my mechanic uses... and because I live north of the river and my mechanic is south... bit of a trek to travel all the way to find out its something that has come up again... (in my case faulty 02 sensor..)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Launch-Cread ... dd6&_uhb=1

A $15 OBDII bluetooth adapter and torque on android works a treat for checking/clearing codes etc!
Kormoran

Car: MY06 Liberty 2.0R 5MT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17776

Return to 2.0R engine specific