MAF Cleaning

Posts specific to the 2.0 litre NA engine

MAF Cleaning

Postby klam » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:40 am

Well, I've taken out the MAF sensor and hesitated a bit, as it's not like the sensors I've seen on couple of photos, so just want to make sure it's ok to spray the cleaner over the holes in this MAF ? :D There are sort of wires with something like conductors attached to them so hopefully it's alright to spray it. Honestly I didn't expect it to be that enclosed, is there anything I should take apart ? thanks ;)
Attachments
maf1.JPG
maf1.JPG (117.42 KiB) Viewed 5879 times
maf2.JPG
maf2.JPG (132.89 KiB) Viewed 5879 times
maf3.JPG
maf3.JPG (117.48 KiB) Viewed 5879 times
klam
 
Posts: 145
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:55 pm
Location: Sydney
Car: Subaru Liberty 2006 4GEN MY06 2.0R
Real name: Michael

Re: MAF Cleaning

Postby zch91 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:38 am

I am no expert but im pretty sure the little red bit with 2 wires on the ends is the bit you want to be cleaning
User avatar
zch91
-stickered-
 
Posts: 2662
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:12 am
Location: Darwin, NT
Car: MY04 GT Premium - Silver 5EAT
Real name: Zach
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15397

Re: MAF Cleaning

Postby Kekotic » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:41 am

Even though my MAF looks different and has the actual MAF sensor far away from all the little capacitors and shit, it's still recommended to spray up in to the hole where the capacitors are. So I cannot see it being a problem on your one provided you turn it upside down so that it can all fall back out of the hole.
User avatar
Kekotic
-stickered-
 
Posts: 6436
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:46 pm
Car: MY07 Liberty GT Spec.B
Real name: Kieran
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13066

Re: MAF Cleaning

Postby jaydece » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:48 pm

chaotic2050 wrote:Even though my MAF looks different and has the actual MAF sensor far away from all the little capacitors and shit, it's still recommended to spray up in to the hole where the capacitors are. So I cannot see it being a problem on your one provided you turn it upside down so that it can all fall back out of the hole.


I think you'll find they are not capacitors?

They are probably some type of element? resistor or thermo resistor either hot wire or cold wire ability... :)

and as posted in another thread? this is not your MAF sensor? thats the intake temp sensor....your MAF sensor is located by 2 wires and thermo resistors inside the other cavity
Attachments
MAF.JPG
MAF.JPG (46.39 KiB) Viewed 5859 times
Last edited by jaydece on Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~JUSZTN~

** Our Turbo Lag Gives Those v8's A Chance **

Past - MY07 Liberty TBSTI 6SPD Sedan
265kw atw on P100
290kw atw on E85(fuel pump limited)


Past - MY16 Audi S3 Sedan

Present - MY18 Audi RS3 Sedan (His)
Present - MY17 VW Tiguan 162 R line (Hers)
User avatar
jaydece
 
Posts: 1625
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:21 pm
Location: VIC, Berwick 3806
Car: Audi S3 8V 2016 6SPD DSG
Real name: Justin
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=11864

Re: MAF Cleaning

Postby Kekotic » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:55 pm

Whatever the hell they are they are in there and I spray them.
User avatar
Kekotic
-stickered-
 
Posts: 6436
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:46 pm
Car: MY07 Liberty GT Spec.B
Real name: Kieran
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13066

Re: MAF Cleaning

Postby jaydece » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:07 pm

chaotic2050 wrote:Whatever the hell they are they are in there and I spray them.


Better to know what your spraying then just spraying for the sake of it .... :wink:
~JUSZTN~

** Our Turbo Lag Gives Those v8's A Chance **

Past - MY07 Liberty TBSTI 6SPD Sedan
265kw atw on P100
290kw atw on E85(fuel pump limited)


Past - MY16 Audi S3 Sedan

Present - MY18 Audi RS3 Sedan (His)
Present - MY17 VW Tiguan 162 R line (Hers)
User avatar
jaydece
 
Posts: 1625
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:21 pm
Location: VIC, Berwick 3806
Car: Audi S3 8V 2016 6SPD DSG
Real name: Justin
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=11864

Re: MAF Cleaning

Postby Kekotic » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:08 pm

jaydece wrote:
chaotic2050 wrote:Whatever the hell they are they are in there and I spray them.


Better to know what your spraying then just spraying for the sake of it .... :wink:


I was told by Bruce to spray it, because he was shown by former STi docklands head mechanic Sharpie to do that.
User avatar
Kekotic
-stickered-
 
Posts: 6436
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:46 pm
Car: MY07 Liberty GT Spec.B
Real name: Kieran
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13066

Re: MAF Cleaning

Postby jaydece » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:16 pm

chaotic2050 wrote:
jaydece wrote:
chaotic2050 wrote:Whatever the hell they are they are in there and I spray them.


Better to know what your spraying then just spraying for the sake of it .... :wink:


I was told by Bruce to spray it, because he was shown by former STi docklands head mechanic Sharpie to do that.


Well then that explains ALLOT about sharpie doesn't it.... :shock:
~JUSZTN~

** Our Turbo Lag Gives Those v8's A Chance **

Past - MY07 Liberty TBSTI 6SPD Sedan
265kw atw on P100
290kw atw on E85(fuel pump limited)


Past - MY16 Audi S3 Sedan

Present - MY18 Audi RS3 Sedan (His)
Present - MY17 VW Tiguan 162 R line (Hers)
User avatar
jaydece
 
Posts: 1625
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:21 pm
Location: VIC, Berwick 3806
Car: Audi S3 8V 2016 6SPD DSG
Real name: Justin
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=11864

Re: MAF Cleaning

Postby Kekotic » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:19 pm

MAF cleaner is just electrical contact cleaner, which means it is safe to spray on those components.

And even though Bruce is going to Cromwood now, he still said to spray the same way on Friday night that I have just described.
User avatar
Kekotic
-stickered-
 
Posts: 6436
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:46 pm
Car: MY07 Liberty GT Spec.B
Real name: Kieran
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13066

Re: MAF Cleaning

Postby jaydece » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:23 pm

chaotic2050 wrote:MAF cleaner is just electrical contact cleaner, which means it is safe to spray on those components.

And even though Bruce is going to Cromwood now, he still said to spray the same way on Friday night that I have just described.


I understand this but I would like to clear up what is the ACTUAL MAF sensor .....so people have a better understanding....you can spray the whole denso surrounding for all I care....it is safe to do so.... :)
~JUSZTN~

** Our Turbo Lag Gives Those v8's A Chance **

Past - MY07 Liberty TBSTI 6SPD Sedan
265kw atw on P100
290kw atw on E85(fuel pump limited)


Past - MY16 Audi S3 Sedan

Present - MY18 Audi RS3 Sedan (His)
Present - MY17 VW Tiguan 162 R line (Hers)
User avatar
jaydece
 
Posts: 1625
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:21 pm
Location: VIC, Berwick 3806
Car: Audi S3 8V 2016 6SPD DSG
Real name: Justin
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=11864

Re: MAF Cleaning

Postby Kekotic » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:26 pm

jaydece wrote:
chaotic2050 wrote:MAF cleaner is just electrical contact cleaner, which means it is safe to spray on those components.

And even though Bruce is going to Cromwood now, he still said to spray the same way on Friday night that I have just described.


I understand this but I would like to clear up what is the ACTUAL MAF sensor .....so people have a better understanding....you can spray the whole denso surrounding for all I care....it is safe to do so.... :)



As you have just pointed out via PM the MAF is actually inside the housing and is two tiny little wires. Thanks :D
User avatar
Kekotic
-stickered-
 
Posts: 6436
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:46 pm
Car: MY07 Liberty GT Spec.B
Real name: Kieran
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13066

Re: MAF Cleaning

Postby jaydece » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:34 pm

chaotic2050 wrote:
jaydece wrote:
chaotic2050 wrote:MAF cleaner is just electrical contact cleaner, which means it is safe to spray on those components.

And even though Bruce is going to Cromwood now, he still said to spray the same way on Friday night that I have just described.


I understand this but I would like to clear up what is the ACTUAL MAF sensor .....so people have a better understanding....you can spray the whole denso surrounding for all I care....it is safe to do so.... :)



As you have just pointed out via PM the MAF is actually inside the housing and is two tiny little wires. Thanks :D


Love Ya Long Time Buddy :mrgreen:
~JUSZTN~

** Our Turbo Lag Gives Those v8's A Chance **

Past - MY07 Liberty TBSTI 6SPD Sedan
265kw atw on P100
290kw atw on E85(fuel pump limited)


Past - MY16 Audi S3 Sedan

Present - MY18 Audi RS3 Sedan (His)
Present - MY17 VW Tiguan 162 R line (Hers)
User avatar
jaydece
 
Posts: 1625
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:21 pm
Location: VIC, Berwick 3806
Car: Audi S3 8V 2016 6SPD DSG
Real name: Justin
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=11864

Re: MAF Cleaning

Postby klam » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:29 pm

ok, so what is that part I'm actually holding on the very first photo? :)
secondly, I'm pretty sure I don't have the MAF as on the photo jaydece posted, as there is just a hole no no other part where the other wires could be (?!). So either I'm missing something, or the thing on the first photo is MAF sensor, just different from what jaydece posted.
..but seems like all agree it's safe to spray it ... jeez I'm so not keen to screw this up :D
klam
 
Posts: 145
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:55 pm
Location: Sydney
Car: Subaru Liberty 2006 4GEN MY06 2.0R
Real name: Michael


Return to 2.0R engine specific

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron