Maintainance after 6000kms?

Posts specific to the 2.0 litre NA engine

Maintainance after 6000kms?

Postby Joshy » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:30 pm

Hey all,

After getting my Libety (and P Plates) in November, I have since clocked up 6000km's, 2k of which was up to Sydney and back.

I am fairly new to cars, I have a basic understanding of some things, however I was wondering what I should/can do to the car after these 6k km's.

Things like oil, and other fluids and what not.

Its a MY06 2.0R Sedan, Pre-FL

Thanks! :D
Current: MY02 Gen 3 RX in White
Previous: MY06 Gen 4 2.0R in Newport Blue
User avatar
Joshy
 
Posts: 523
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:34 pm
Location: SE Melbourne, VIC
Car: MY02 Gen 3 RX in White
Real name: Josh
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22876

Re: Maintainance after 6000kms?

Postby alessandro132 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:53 pm

Get into the regular habit of flushing the oil every 5000kms :) it's relatively inexpensive and great insurance for these engines.
TEAM TOYOTA | TEAM HKS

Cusco, HPI, HKS, and a few other bits...
User avatar
alessandro132
-stickered-
 
Posts: 2380
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:40 am
Location: Sydney
Car: 2000 JZX100 Toyota Chaser Tourer V
Real name: Al
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16914

Re: Maintainance after 6000kms?

Postby Joshy » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:41 pm

alessandro132 wrote:Get into the regular habit of flushing the oil every 5000kms :) it's relatively inexpensive and great insurance for these engines.


Thanks for the reply :) So should I put a new oil filter on it, also do I need that solution to flush it, the oil flush or whatever?
Current: MY02 Gen 3 RX in White
Previous: MY06 Gen 4 2.0R in Newport Blue
User avatar
Joshy
 
Posts: 523
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:34 pm
Location: SE Melbourne, VIC
Car: MY02 Gen 3 RX in White
Real name: Josh
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22876

Re: Maintainance after 6000kms?

Postby zch91 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:47 pm

New oil, filter and UEC (upper engine cleaner) will sort you out
User avatar
zch91
-stickered-
 
Posts: 2651
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:12 am
Location: Darwin, NT
Car: MY04 GT Premium - Silver 5EAT
Real name: Zach
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15397

Re: Maintainance after 6000kms?

Postby Joshy » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:51 pm

zch91 wrote:New oil, filter and UEC (upper engine cleaner) will sort you out


Awesome, I have seen some guides around for that so I will follow one of them.

My breaks squeak, my mech friend says its just dirt/dust on the discs but it happens all the time, even after watching, is it something else ?
Current: MY02 Gen 3 RX in White
Previous: MY06 Gen 4 2.0R in Newport Blue
User avatar
Joshy
 
Posts: 523
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:34 pm
Location: SE Melbourne, VIC
Car: MY02 Gen 3 RX in White
Real name: Josh
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22876

Re: Maintainance after 6000kms?

Postby alessandro132 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:05 pm

zch91 wrote:New oil, filter and UEC (upper engine cleaner) will sort you out


This ^
TEAM TOYOTA | TEAM HKS

Cusco, HPI, HKS, and a few other bits...
User avatar
alessandro132
-stickered-
 
Posts: 2380
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:40 am
Location: Sydney
Car: 2000 JZX100 Toyota Chaser Tourer V
Real name: Al
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16914

Re: Maintainance after 6000kms?

Postby Kormoran » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:23 pm

Joshy wrote:
zch91 wrote:New oil, filter and UEC (upper engine cleaner) will sort you out


Awesome, I have seen some guides around for that so I will follow one of them.

My breaks squeak, my mech friend says its just dirt/dust on the discs but it happens all the time, even after watching, is it something else ?



Could be cheap brake pads or perhaps they weren't bed in properly..?

zch91 wrote:New oil, filter and UEC (upper engine cleaner) will sort you out


Give the tb a good clean too while your there, I found a lot of buildup with mine. :)
User avatar
Kormoran
 
Posts: 288
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:15 pm
Location: Brisbane
Car: MY06 Liberty 2.0R 5MT
Real name: Matt
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17776

Re: Maintainance after 6000kms?

Postby Joshy » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:35 pm

Kormoran wrote:
Joshy wrote:
zch91 wrote:New oil, filter and UEC (upper engine cleaner) will sort you out


Awesome, I have seen some guides around for that so I will follow one of them.

My breaks squeak, my mech friend says its just dirt/dust on the discs but it happens all the time, even after watching, is it something else ?



Could be cheap brake pads or perhaps they weren't bed in properly..?

zch91 wrote:New oil, filter and UEC (upper engine cleaner) will sort you out


Give the tb a good clean too while your there, I found a lot of buildup with mine. :)


With the pads, is it something you should change every X kms or whats the deal with them (sorry, I am a noob!) also is there anything else I should be checking out for while under the car, and in the engine bay.

Easy answer would be, just take it to ya mechanic and leave it as that, however I want to learn the basics at least :) I didn't grow up with parents that were in to cars or anything so I didn't have dad working on a truck or his show car in the garage, etc, so its all fairly new to me :D

Edit: you said to give the tb a good clean, no idea what a 'tb' is :(
Current: MY02 Gen 3 RX in White
Previous: MY06 Gen 4 2.0R in Newport Blue
User avatar
Joshy
 
Posts: 523
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:34 pm
Location: SE Melbourne, VIC
Car: MY02 Gen 3 RX in White
Real name: Josh
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22876

Re: Maintainance after 6000kms?

Postby zch91 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:40 pm

You can physically see if your pads are low. Maybe have a quick google search for pics of what you're lookin at.

Tb = throttle body. Basically just before the intake mani and air intake. Has a valve (throttle) that gets oil and other gunk buildup on it
User avatar
zch91
-stickered-
 
Posts: 2651
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:12 am
Location: Darwin, NT
Car: MY04 GT Premium - Silver 5EAT
Real name: Zach
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15397

Re: Maintainance after 6000kms?

Postby Joshy » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:44 pm

zch91 wrote:You can physically see if your pads are low. Maybe have a quick google search for pics of what you're lookin at.

Tb = throttle body. Basically just before the intake mani and air intake. Has a valve (throttle) that gets oil and other gunk buildup on it


Thanks for the info :) ill have a poke around online and I think I downloaded some manual (not the owners one) a while back from here, I should be able to find some info in there
Current: MY02 Gen 3 RX in White
Previous: MY06 Gen 4 2.0R in Newport Blue
User avatar
Joshy
 
Posts: 523
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:34 pm
Location: SE Melbourne, VIC
Car: MY02 Gen 3 RX in White
Real name: Josh
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22876


Return to 2.0R engine specific

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest