Weird starting problem

Posts specific to the 2.0 litre NA engine

Weird starting problem

Postby sdd » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:29 pm

Having some weird starting problems with a 2006 Liberty wagon, 2.0R engine. Starts perfectly every time when cold, and usually if you turn it off and start it again fairly soon after. But if the car's left for, say, an hour or two it often struggles to start. It will turn over maybe 6-10 times before sort of spluttering to life.

A little history. Only bought the car a few months back and it was fine initially, but started having increasingly bad hesitation around 2,500 revs when accelerating. Had upper engine clean, injector removal for a clean, new fuel filter, then read that resetting the ECU could help the hesitation . Did that, and it seems like after these things the starting problem started. Hesitation returned after running for a few days after the ECU reset, and dealer reflashed the ECU to include some updates that cured the hesitation. But the starting problem remains.

Grateful to hear any ideas!

Cheers.
sdd

Re: Weird starting problem

Postby Kekotic » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:33 pm

Fuel pump?
Kekotic
-stickered-

Car: MY07 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13066

Postby SegR » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:25 pm

Sounds like the problem I have, but with mine I also have problems with cold starts. If I let the pump prime the fuel line TWICE before starting then 93% of cold starts are fine.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=15984
Team Beards
Beards Don't Kill People, People With Beards Kill People.
SegR

Car: MY05 3.0R sedan, black
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14605

Postby sdd » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:28 pm

Posted this before, but didn't seem to turn up...

I did have the fuel pump looked at. No obvious signs, like corrosion. Pressures were OK, but, of course, starting wasn't playing up at the time. If it's a fuel pump problem, is there a reason why it would always be fine on cold starts, but not otherwise?

SegR, what are you doing to prime the pump twice? Just turning ignition on, waiting for dials to spin once, turning off, then turning on again?

Thanks for the feedback guys!
sdd

Postby SegR » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:45 am

On cold start your engine idles higher so a number of components will be working a bit harder (including pump) than a warm start I suppose.

Yes that's exactly how I do it; mechanic (I'm not one and don't purport to be) suggested it's a more valid test than priming once. (I.e. just waiting for needle sweep before starting)
Team Beards
Beards Don't Kill People, People With Beards Kill People.
SegR

Car: MY05 3.0R sedan, black
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14605

Postby sdd » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:22 am

OK, thanks. I'll give that a go.
sdd

Postby champ » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:45 pm

sdd wrote:OK, thanks. I'll give that a go.

So how did it work out?
champ
-stickered-

Car: MY07 GT Spec.B Tuned by STi 6MT OBP

Postby sdd » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:01 pm

Haven't tried anything yet. Car's been at the local mechanic for a couple of days in the hope that he could recreate while checking fuel pump pressures. But, of course, didn't happen once! He reckons the car still hesitates a small amount while accelerating, and is going to replace the plugs, since that's not been done lately. I'll report back.
sdd

Postby Nipple06 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:32 pm

sdd wrote:Haven't tried anything yet. Car's been at the local mechanic for a couple of days in the hope that he could recreate while checking fuel pump pressures. But, of course, didn't happen once! He reckons the car still hesitates a small amount while accelerating, and is going to replace the plugs, since that's not been done lately. I'll report back.

well yeah i know what its like .. Another problem is check you brake lights .. May fix that problem i know it's strange but changed my break lights to led's from leo .. well i had the same problem .. would rev to 2500 fine but after that would just like go no where .. Hope that helps
GB:Subaru Android, iPod, iPhone, USB & Bluetooth Car Kit | GROM
http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=21136
Nipple06

Car: Subaru liberty 2.5i wagon 2004
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15410

Return to 2.0R engine specific