MY07 HID Fog Light Install Guide - Bandwidth Intensive

Detailed descriptions of how to do things to your Liberty.

MY07 HID Fog Light Install Guide - Bandwidth Intensive

Postby Kekotic » Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:05 am

Hello everyone and welcome to the ultimate guide on how to install some awesome looking Xenon HID fog lights in your MY07-MY09 Liberty!

Time to begin 8)

So first of all here is a picture of the HID Fog kit connected together as a whole so you can understand how it's supposed to work. (compliments of Leo / hks180)
If you put this all in to perspective it is very simple, there are 5 separate parts which all connect together (2 ballasts, 2 HID fog globes, 1 main relay) if we start from the left of the picture we have the main part which will connect to the battery via positive and negative connections and is marked as 'To Battery' in the pic which connects to both HID Ballasts (the silver rectangular objects) one of which is via a very long cable (bottom half of picture). This is important to know in terms of setting up the connection because as the relay system connects directly to the battery, the long cable connected Ballast will go on the DRIVERS SIDE of the vehicle and will be run along through behind the front bar, this is important because the system only needs to connect to one of the factory looms (being the passenger side as this is closest to the battery terminal) to function.
So putting it in to perspective as a picture.

Green = Position this part inside the engine bay next to the battery and windscreen washer fluid on the passenger side and begin from there, feed the cables needed down through behind the front bar (does not require any parts removed) and you will be able to grab these later and tape them in to place for convenience if you want to be thorough like I was. I also taped these cables to their specific positions on the battery terminal for when I needed to connect them up later on, as I felt getting positioning correct was very important to prevent any problems in the future.
Blue = Drivers side connections, which are fed through the front bar, first by going down through to the passenger side fog light then being fed through.
Red = These are the connections coming from the engine bay down through the space between the windscreen washer bottle and the front bar, once you unfasten the under carriage black plastic coverings on the drivers side and passenger side that protect the underside of the front of the car you will easily be able to see directly through to the ground between the area I am mentioning if you are in a well lit area.
Here is what I am talking about marked in blue, however when I took the picture I didn't capture the light coming through.
The blue part being the bit where you feed the 'worm cable' (being the long cable with the plastic indented casing) down through the passenger side and the through the front bar pictured later on.

Split up the cables in to the 5 parts (2 ballasts, 2 globes and the 1 main relay connection) and start with the relay by placing it around the battery, preferably temporarily taping it in to place to get an idea on how much you can run the other cables down through the car.
Picture of the main relay taped around the battery. Red wire is wrapped around behind the battery and through the heat resistant casing, black terminal connector I have taped to the body of the car and run through in front of the battery and the washer fluid bottle.

Now it is time to get under the car, if you are jacking up the car I recommend proper jack stands, as 1 jack is not safe, 2 is safer...but in my opinion still not safe enough, so if you can get the car up on a hoist or some ramps etc do that, unfortunately I was not able to do either of those, so I double jacked the passenger side and made sure I didn't sit my body underneath the car at all just in case, Play it safe!
Here is my setup, with a few pictures of the tools I had on hand and how I jacked the car up, take note I only had to jack one side up as that was more than sufficient to also gain access to the drivers side fog light housing, so I suggest jacking up the passenger side as most of the cabling is done there anyway.

Fog lights (including new one to replace broken fog light), Double sided body tape, 2 jacks, Toolbox, socket set, and HID kit.

Closeup

The Beast
Extras: Best of the 80's 4 CD album..which is why the windows and sunroof are open to help me get on with the job!

The car jacked up

Once the car is jacked up and safe you are ready to begin the 2nd half of the install, the first half being jacking up the car and prepping of course.

Start with the passenger side of the car, and pull out the plastic stoppers for the plastic under body below the fog light.
Here is a picture to demonstrate, the opposite side of the car is exactly the same. Once all 4 of the clips are taken out (try keep them connected to the black plastic under body as they do not need to be completely removed) you can then gently (should not require much force) move the black plastic underbody out of the way to reveal the fog light housing, completely taking off this underbody is unnecessary and would require an extra 8 or so clips to be unfastened, so just stick to the ones in the picture and pull the underbody down and it will remain in that position as it is very flexible.

There are 4 'stoppers' which need to be taken out ONE OF WHICH REQUIRES UNSCREWING. You can take the 3 out marked in RED using a flathead screwdriver, pry out the top part of the clip which will then allow you to pull out the clip either by hand or extra prying with the flathead.
The clip marked in green in this picture REQUIRES SCREWING and if you are not carrying an LED torch you may miss the fact it needs to be unscrewed to be unclipped, so if you try a flathead you will simply snap the clip and potentially be stuck with a plastic part you cannot get off the body any more!

Here is what it will look like on the passenger side when you have moved the underside out of the way.
Take note the Passenger side is very hard to remove the Fog light housing, but I recommend doing this to properly install the Ballasts, you will spend about 5+ minutes twisting and turning the fog light housing to remove it on the passenger side, one handy tip I can give is that once you have taken out the 2 bolts, push out the bolted side first and the other sides clips will have to push out in the end. There is a rather annoying object in the way which I assume is the headlight washer pump or some such which makes it impossible to do it any other way, it is far easier on the driver side and only takes a few seconds to remove. Do both driver side and passenger side at the same time, keep bolts and the 2 Green screw in plastic caps (as these will not stay in the underbody once you undo them) in one spot so you don't lose them

Drivers side you can tape up the factory Loom that connected to the stock fog light in the picture above, as it is not going to be needed, tape it to the body for neatness, or freeball it....take your pick....

Now with the fog light assemblies both removed you will have a lot more room to work with when feeding through the cables.
One of the earlier pictures I mentioned the 'worm cable' which you need to feed through down to the passenger side fog light area initially, you will then be able to feed it through in to a nice gap for the front bar straight to the drivers side of the car (this is going behind the number plate area) which can be easily tucked away below the fibreglass of the bar itself, but for photos sake I have the cable visible in the pictures. Just tuck it in under the fibreglass and it won't move, perfect fit.
Also during this stage feed through the other 2 cables connected to the relay at the battery section pictured earlier, a blue cable which connects to the factory loom of the passenger side fog light and a red cable which connects to the passenger side Ballast. The 'worm cable' which is fed through the front bar is the Red cable for the drivers side Ballast connection. All of this is pictured below.
Passenger side - Taped together Factory Loom (brown) and Blue cable for connection later on, also Red cable for Ballast connection

initial step - Passenger side
Secondary step - Front bar passenger side
final step - drivers side of Front bar
Finally drag the 'worm cable' through the gap between the front bar and in to the fog light area of the drivers side, tape it to the body until the later stages so it doesn't move although that's pretty unnecessary as it shouldn't move at that point anyway.

Now we are ready to put the Ballasts in place on both sides!
This will require some good quality double sided tape rated for exterior body parts for maximum strength, to ensure they stick for a very long time.
First step is to prep the areas you want to mount the Ballasts by washing away any dirt particles, I did this very quickly with a crappy sponge and a cloth to dry afterwards.

I chose the side of the fog light housing as the perfect spot, provided you have decent double sided tape this will be more than fine and allow for a nice clean looking fit, I placed my ballast with it's cables directed up in to the body to look cleaner.

On the passenger side connect the Blue&black cable in to the factory Brown loom, and connect the red&black cable which you fed down earlier in to the ballast which you just mounted.

Drivers side connect the Red & black 'worm cable' to the Ballast, no need for any connection to the Factory Loom as we have taped that up already and it is no longer needed.

Once that is done for both sides, connect up the Xenon lights themselves to each Ballast.
Take note that there are a set of cables on both of the Xenon HID light connectors which are not needed at all, and can be cut away completely, pictured here, these are the parts from each Fog light connection you will not need at all. Double check in the picture at the beginning to make sure you don't cut off the wrong one!

A Blue and a Red cable will connect the final part of the Ballast to the HID globe pictured here.
keep the plastic casings on the HID light globes until you are completely ready to place them in the fog lights, then it is just a simple matter of insert and twist the globe in the fog light housing to get it in to place, simple! WARNING: DO NOT TOUCH ANY PART OF THE GLOBE

Finally the connection to the battery, which I had some issues with due to a faulty connection which I luckily managed to troubleshoot at the time almost by accident as you will see.
Connect the Red wire from the Relay we position at the beginning of this guide near the battery, to the positive terminal on the battery, and the black to the negative. As pictured here.

Initially when I had installed it all, nothing worked, and luckily I decided to try and move the positive(red) terminal connection to the other nut on the terminal and as I was doing so by trying to pull the cable out of the spot I had put it in originally, the metal had sort of fused with the metal on the battery a little (through pressure) and when I pulled it, it yanked out the copper wire from the black plastic connection, which at first seemed like a bad thing until it was obvious that it was a problem from the beginning as the fog lights didn't work at all before this came out, so after some fiddling around and cutting the red wire casing back and cutting off some of the bent copper wires I was able to connect it back in to the plastic connector and get the HID's working finally.

No doubt I will have to fix up this article a bit, but for something I have done at 3am-6am on a Sunday morning I think it has turned out fairly well :shock:
Also my camera apparently has no idea how to capture Xenon lights, as they appear to have halo's around them regardless of if I use flash or no flash for the photos.
Either way they look awesome in real life, super bright and super cool 8)
Definitely wouldn't drive with these on during the day though, ultimate cop magnet I would imagine. However I never use my fog's unless it is foggy anyway so it's no issue for me.

Special Thanks to Leo (HKS180) for providing me with all these sick LED's and the HID Fog's, and also for helping me troubleshoot today!
Last edited by Kekotic on Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:53 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Kekotic
-stickered-

Car: MY07 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13066

Re: MY07 HID Fog Light Install Guide - Bandwidth Intensive

Postby hks180 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:34 am

Great write up mate and you did very well ..... my instruction was no way detail as yours !! haha

and the HID looks great ... from the photos looks super bright /// 8)

(maybe this should go to reference & walkthroughs section?)

Leo
[TEAM FUNERAL]
HID & LED >> CLICK HERE
hks180

Postby overl0ad » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:22 am

good write up. congrads on a job well done

but can i suggest that if you work on your car often, please go n buy a proper jack and some jack stands.
tangcla wrote:I didn't have to. I have girly Asian hands :lol:
overl0ad

Car: MY07 GTB 6MT *sold*

Postby teK-- » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:18 am

Good job you got it finished this time :).

+1 get a pair of jackstands, they are cheap and may save your life one day. Even with 2 jacks if one fails and the car swings down on an angle the second scissor jack is just going to crumple.

Also replace that fuseholder next to the battery, based on the photo if it's all loose/wiring exposed now it's going to give more problems when you drive a bit more and shake it up.

Have you got a secondary restraint on the ballasts? If the tape lets go you don't want the whole thing to just drop (you said you used a sponge and water, but didn't specify if you used degreaser or even detergent which will get the oils off the surface). Perhaps use zip ties...
MY04 2.5i Safety 5MT Sedan "Project Locomotive"
..: JDM Subaru-AVO-Whiteline-Bilstein-Swift Springs-Cusco-Rallitek-GT Brakes-Remsa-K4RT30Y-Blitz-Philips-Défi-STI-Sabelt-Redline-Alpine-Polk Audio-Kenwood-Dynamat :..
teK--
-stickered-

Postby Kekotic » Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:32 pm

Good idea with the cables ties, forgot about that from the other fog light guide. I will go and buy some soon.

I didn't degrease the area because it was already pretty clean, but also a good idea if anyone else tries it.
I used the double sided tape on those black boxes too in the same area as the ballasts also but I forgot to take a picture of that.

As for that little fuse box on the positive side, it doesn't look like the photo, I just took that to show how it came out as I was originally going to email that to Leo to show him when I couldn't get the lights to work, however I fixed it up properly and clamped it in again later on in the day.

And I won't be buying any jack stands because I really don't think I will be working on my car at all, I'm not experienced enough and will just leave that to the professionals. I only did the lights myself because it's a pretty simple job, although I managed to make it look hard. :D
Kekotic
-stickered-

Postby bambi » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:52 pm

Looks very cool.

Stupid questions: Are they LED's or Xenon fogs?

Question: How much was the fog conversion kit?
MY07 Black WRX | 5000k Low Beam | 5000k Fog Lights | LED Parkers and Number Plate | 18" Gunmetal Enkei EKM3 |
bambi

Car: MY07 WRX Sedan

Postby Kekotic » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:14 pm

Leo (hks180) provided me with a full set of LED's for interior lights + parkers and number plate LED's, and also the HID Xenon fog light kit. for prices refer to him.
If they were simply LED fog lights all you would have to do is change the bulb over in the fog light, nothing else. LED fog's would be terrible anyway as they wouldn't give off enough light, with these fog lights they are about as bright as a regular cars low beam headlights! I can drive without my headlights on and still see pretty clearly with just the fog lights.
Kekotic
-stickered-

Postby bambi » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:57 am

Cool, thanks for the advice.
MY07 Black WRX | 5000k Low Beam | 5000k Fog Lights | LED Parkers and Number Plate | 18" Gunmetal Enkei EKM3 |
bambi

Postby bambi » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:13 pm

I would like to make another post :)

Great write up.

I just installed my HID fogs from Leo today. Practically had my computer out there with this up as a reference. Very helpful.
bambi

Postby Kekotic » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:00 pm

Glad to be of help.
How did you secure the ballasts?
I also cable tied mine a few days later but never posted any pictures.
Kekotic
-stickered-

Postby bambi » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:05 pm

Leo sent me a few brackets.

On the passenger side low beam, it's cable tied in a little very well designed flat base area infront of and slightly below the battery.

Drivers side low beam, the ballast has been screwed onto one of the brackets, then I screwed what was left of one of the brackets into.....can't really remember now, point is, it's screwed into part of the engine bay.

Both driver and passenger side fog lights have been attached to the housing of the fog lights. You know how there are two bolts which hold the fog light in place? Once again, I attached the ballast to the bracket, modified the bracket a little bit and then put the screws for the fog light housing through the bracket and through the housing to attach. So, my fog light ballasts are sitting attached to the housing, just infront of the fogs.

When I get some days off again in just under a week I'm going to have a look at securing the drivers side low beam a little better.
bambi

Postby hks180 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:08 pm

chaotic2050 wrote:Glad to be of help.
How did you secure the ballasts?
I also cable tied mine a few days later but never posted any pictures.

I'll send you some brackets .... next week with you other order ..

Leo
[TEAM FUNERAL]
HID & LED >> CLICK HERE
hks180

Postby Kekotic » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:09 pm

You got brackets!! I feel so left out Leo :oops:

Take some photos of them if you can please, wouldn't mind having a look.
Although my double sided tape + cable ties is pretty neat and sturdy anyway, just would be interesting to see.

Edit: woo thanks Leo. :wink:
Now I can test out my Jack stands.....yes I went and bought some last weekend 8)
Kekotic
-stickered-

Postby bambi » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:49 pm

Ballast attached to the fog light housing. The housing is what you see to the right of the picture.
In order to make this work, I had to use a drill to widen the holes on the bracket. That way I could use the original screws for the housing and the bracket in one.

Driver side low beams.

Passenger side low beams. You can see where the grey cap for the low beam is, and you can see the edge of the right hand side of the battery which is to the left of the photo.

bambi

Postby Kekotic » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:32 pm

So I was just reading on XenonOz.....

Are these XENON HID light systems street legal?

Suitable for off road use applications only. Not ADR compliant or legal for road use on low beam. May be used in all auxiliary lighting or high beam.

I can't see why someone as big as XenonOz would get this information wrong....so I guess my lights are legal after all.
Kekotic
-stickered-

Return to Reference material & Walkthroughs