How to install a tow bar - Gen 4 (lots of pics)

Detailed descriptions of how to do things to your Liberty.

Re: How to install a tow bar - Gen 4 (lots of pics)

Postby Tanetoa » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:43 pm

Awesome info guys.

With out these threads I wouldn't even attempt something like this.

I do have have a few question though.

Would rear sensors complicate matters? Has anyone done a fitment with rear sensors? Like others i'm also looking at this particular item on ebay. Will cutting be required?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Subaru-Liberty-Outback-Towbar-Brand-New/170667569817?rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D261%26meid%3D4965560730170065701%26pid%3D100005%26prg%3D1088%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D180545029460%26
Process West CAI | AVO Inlet | AVO TBE | kiDo tuned| 3D Floormats | BIlstein suspension | HD Towbar | LED Parking Lights | AVO HD Swaybars
Tanetoa

Car: 07 Liberty GT / 1970 Ford FairlaneZC

Postby oldmate » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:14 pm

I've got rear sensors dude, doesn't affect it at all. BTW that picture looks all wrong hey, nothing like what they should look like. There is some cutting but its minimal. Just use a 4" angle grinder with a cutting wheel. Taking the safety guard off makes it a hell of a lot easier.
Check these guys out. They come with the wiring harness also. http://towbarsaustralia.com.au/base/cms ... x?pid=3973
My05 Liberty GT Premium Wagon - Team White - Custom 3" Dump Pipe - Ultrex Cat Back Exhaust/Custom Twin Tips - K&N Filter - DIY Mesh Grill - Resonectomy - 18" King Wheels (Drifta) - Kobe Motorsport Silicon Inlet + SFB - Kobe Motorsport 50/50 BOV - Anycarlink 1080d - Whiteline Rear Sway Bars - AVO HD Mounts - Trailboss HD Towbar - DBA T2 Slotted Rotors Front And Rear
oldmate

Car: MY05 2.0T Liberty GT Wagon

Postby Tanetoa » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:59 pm

Yeah the guy mentioned that was the wrong one. Not surprisingly the right one is more $.

Thanks for the info, I only need it for my bike rack so that should do it.

Cheers
Process West CAI | AVO Inlet | AVO TBE | kiDo tuned| 3D Floormats | BIlstein suspension | HD Towbar | LED Parking Lights | AVO HD Swaybars
Tanetoa

Postby Neb » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:47 pm

Hello all,

I know this is an old post but I am hoping for some advice.

I have just bought a 2004 Outback and would like to install a genuine Subaru towbar myself. The car doesn't have parking sensors. Is there a lot of difference in the installation process compared to this original and extremely helpful post?
I am new to Subaru and any useful information is very much appreciated.
Thanks
Neb
Neb

Car: Subaru Outback

Postby jigsaw56 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:35 am

Hi there... I know this may be a pain - but the photos don't show up on the fitting info page - not too sure how to get them up? would it be possible for you to send me the photos (email is adsf@adam.com.au) to me and I can go from there thanks.... very much appreciated it that was possible thanks
jigsaw56

Car: 2004 Subaru liberty wagon

Postby Tanetoa » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:12 pm

Ok, just installed mine.

Takes a bit of time especially if you're on your own. Not having the best socket set didn't help either but I managed with what I had.

Just a couple of tips that are probably obvious to others but which cost me precious time.

The bumper slides out of the black 'casing' below each light. I was pulling on this wondering why it wouldnt budge ....

There are 2 more screws behind the wheel arch that need removing before you can take the rear bumper off. Oh, and, the rear wheels definitely need to be removed to get the job done as far as I could see.

Very happy with the heavy duty towbar, and got it for a bargain thanks to Brainy. Now I just need a tow ball....

Thanks OP, wouldn't have tried it without this thread. Cheers.
Tanetoa

Postby looneyboy89 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:30 am

Followed this the other day and was a fantastic guide, thanks!

I ran into a few issues;

As I got the bar from a wrecker, when inserting into the chassis rails, it wasn't square and had a hard time pushing it in as well as bolting it in from underneath (possibly bent slightly in an accident?)

Also, now that the bar is on, I can't clip in the bumper from underneath as when I push the clips through, they are fouling on the bottom of the towbar. Anyone else have this issue? When going over bumps I can hear the bumper banging around
looneyboy89

Postby crazyricochet » Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:11 am

Don't worry looney boy, have now put 4 towbars on Libs and the towbar is really a tight fit in there! It is hard to get it all of it lined up at once.

I also experienced some the bumper clips being hard to put back in after installing, eventually managed to get most of them back in. Should not be able to flap around!!
crazyricochet

Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=30231

Postby dansoob » Mon May 15, 2017 11:39 pm

Can you guys please post pics with measurements of where to cut on a gen 4 wagon 05.?
Specifically Where the square section exits at the bottom of the bumper?
dansoob

Car: 06 liberty wagon

Postby zoliberty » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:40 am

So I attempted the install. Went well, mostly, jacking her up was a pita. I did have issues with the 2 hook type brackets which were not compatible with the towbar, which means that I've lost two hole where I can pinned down the bar.

I also had issues with the hole, I was slightly to the right of the bar, the tow hook didn't align exactly with the hitch. I'm going to try and find some silver tape to mask it a little.

A more concering issue is that I didn't receive the L shaped bracket, wrecker reckons it didn't come with one when it was set aside. Not sure if it's a pre/post face thing as the pics on the first page are pre face and mine is post, I've emailed H&R, hoping that it's not needed otherwise I need to remove the exhausts and heat shielding.
zoliberty

Car: Liberty MY07 Spec.B 3l

Postby bigBADbenny » Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:08 pm

https://web.archive.org/web/20110310030 ... =12&t=9262

Web archive link for all the pics, tks FB!
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby GTB25T » Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:49 pm

The tow bar install procedure is great! Thanks! [flash=]Awesome pics![/flash]

Where do you get the rubber edging used to go around the cut out in the bumper? Bunnings?

It was also suggested to me, as the cable is flat in this harness, keep it in the wheel well and just run it out under the boot lid when used. This keeps the connector socket and pin area clean.

Also, when I fitted factory Foz bar bar onto a Foz, it had the marking for the cut out moulded lines on the inside of the bumper. Interesting if Lib has this?
GTB25T

Car: Lib GT-B Sedan, Lib tbSTI 08, Foz 15

Postby RX25SE » Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:05 pm

I installed 'pinch weld' around the opening. Available from Clark Rubber (at least it was in 2015!).

Factory trailer harness uses flat cable, plug n play into the trailer harness connector on the vehicle.
RX25SE

Car: MY07 30RB 6sp Wag

Postby Ric » Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:34 pm

RX25SE wrote:I installed 'pinch weld' around the opening. Available from Clark Rubber (at least it was in 2015!).

Yep, they still have a large range.
e.g. https://www.clarkrubber.com.au/products ... mm-x-5-5mm
Ric
Site Admin

Car: OLD: MY06 3RB Wagon NEW: MY21 Outbck
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12

Previous

Return to Reference material & Walkthroughs