Removing Intake Resonator Walkthrough with pics

Detailed descriptions of how to do things to your Liberty.

Re: Removing Intake Resonator Walkthrough with pics

Postby chris12 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:25 pm

Thanks for the write up smythie. Great job.

I installed a K&N air filter on the weekend, and I think it's made the car a touch more responsive. Anyway, I didn't take the resonator out but I'm still thinking about doing it. In regards to the heat etc getting into the intake, from my point of view it doesn't look like it'd get too hot under there.

I did a similar mod to this with my old car (BA Falcon) which was very popular. A lot of owners would get a bigger upper snorkel and then cut their airbox and fit a F6 Typhoon intake at the bottom (standard for a turbo charged Typhoon) which was a similar size to the upper snorkel. It's in a very similar spot but just on the other side of the car. But, rather than coming from the bottom of the intake, it came in front the front.

Perhaps, and I don't particularly want to try it and I'm sure others don't, but you could just about cut that resonator to direct the air up into the airbox a bit better, rather than just leaving a hole.
chris12

Car: VW Golf GTI
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=24279

Postby Nottage969 » Mon May 14, 2012 10:24 am

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo........

Anybody have their resonators from their 2.5L RX's they know that they definitely don't want so that i can buy them off you? :P Thought $60 from a wreckers was slightly expensive for some bits of plastic. In hindsight, probably should NOT have thrown mine out! :oops:
MY03 Subaru Liberty RX 2.5L Special Edition 5spd Manual - Silver

Single-tip Junbl Muffler
18x7 Spec B Alloy Wheels
Pioneer Headdeck and 6.5" Splits
Nottage969

Car: Silver MY03 RX Special Ed.

Postby TheFirstEskimo » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:22 pm

just removed the resonator and im now looking at a way to get the best cold air intake via some pvc piping. Im thinking about holesawing the bottom plastic guard (below the resonator bottle) and angling the piping through to face the front. The only thing im worried about is what happens if i drive through a decent puddle?!? would i be better off trying to keep the intake up a little higher in the engine bay? ive put the the white screw/plug where im thinking about drilling the hole for the piping.. Any suggestions?
TheFirstEskimo

Car: MY07 Liberty GT Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21725

Postby zch91 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:28 pm

TheFirstEskimo wrote:just removed the resonator and im now looking at a way to get the best cold air intake via some pvc piping. Im thinking about holesawing the bottom plastic guard (below the resonator bottle) and angling the piping through to face the front. The only thing im worried about is what happens if i drive through a decent puddle?!? would i be better off trying to keep the intake up a little higher in the engine bay? ive put the the white screw/plug where im thinking about drilling the hole for the piping.. Any suggestions?

You will be cutting a hole in your guard liner...... Don't do that. Unless you like hydrolock?
zch91
-stickered-

Car: MY04 GT Premium - Silver 5EAT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15397

Postby TheFirstEskimo » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:49 am

You will be cutting a hole in your guard liner...... Don't do that. Unless you like hydrolock?

Hmm that's what I thought. Can't really see another route for the pipe tho.
:(
TheFirstEskimo

Postby PinkK » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:27 pm

TheFirstEskimo wrote:The only thing im worried about is what happens if i drive through a decent puddle?!? would i be better off trying to keep the intake up a little higher in the engine bay?

Anyone? Thinking of adding this to the list of things I want to do this weekend, but hesitant due to the size of some of Melbourne’s puddles...
PinkK
-stickered-

Car: MY08 Liberty GT Spec. B Wagon

Postby TheFirstEskimo » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:31 pm

PinkK wrote:
TheFirstEskimo wrote:The only thing im worried about is what happens if i drive through a decent puddle?!? would i be better off trying to keep the intake up a little higher in the engine bay?

Anyone? Thinking of adding this to the list of things I want to do this weekend, but hesitant due to the size of some of Melbourne’s puddles...

...BUMP.... Im also waiting on a reply on this one. Im running with the resonator removed now and its sounds better (a deeper growl and louder BOV).

Ive decide against drilling a hole in the bottom, because even though it would not be in the wheel arch and has a fair bit of clearance from the ground, i just could risk giving my engine a mouthful of water on a rainy day.

Also i dont want to remove my fogs, so the only other way is maybe drill the plastic between the resonator bay and the engine bay and get to the front grill that way. Im hoping someones already tried this???
TheFirstEskimo

Postby Kekotic » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:46 pm

You won't notice a difference anyway, why bother.

Also Alex for the Spec.B models the air actually travels through the fog light surround.
Kekotic
-stickered-

Car: MY07 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13066

Postby PinkK » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:59 pm

Wank factor Kieran ;) Now you have removed one item off my to-do list for the weekend, what to do with that extra 10 minutes! ha ha
Good to know thanks, I will make sure I avoid big puddles then.
PinkK
-stickered-

Car: MY08 Liberty GT Spec. B Wagon

Postby TheFirstEskimo » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:53 pm

:(
TheFirstEskimo

Postby TheFirstEskimo » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:52 pm

Forgot all about this untill yesterday evening when I was working on in the engine bay. Was so damn hot in there I rembered this topic and how i wanted cold air induction.

Noticed something I've never noticed before.......

The front bumper on the drivers side has a removable section.

This is ONLY on the drivers side for some reason. Does anyone know the logic behind this? :?

If it was on both sides then I'd just cut out tabs underneath, stick mesh over, then pipe up to the intake.
TheFirstEskimo

Postby imania » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:16 pm

My guess is for the tow hook? If we even have one lol, just know that's the reason on my friend's polo :lol:
imania

Car: 2007 Liberty GT Tuned by STi

Postby d-chang » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:24 pm

Just did my own CAI on the weekend...

Bought the following items:

- TFI Racing Induction Hose from Repco (atm on sale for $19.99)
- Silicone hose joiner ($30)
- Some fly screen material from Bunnings ($3.60)

So I actually removed my resonator ages ago, but thought I would actually put that empty area to good use and create my own induction pipe. So looking from the engine bay, the stock airbox and snorkel remains, but the party starts happening below! 8)

So from the outside... all people can see is that I have fly screen covering where the foglight used to be and if you look in, I have bought the blue hose for coolness (choices of colours were red, black and blue).

Results, my car is a bit louder and more responsive!
Below car has been gone for quite some time now... blew bottom end bearing and dealership screwed me! Now driving 2008 WRX with ~65k kms on the clock. Only has cat back exhaust and tune by KiDo at the moment! More to come... but slowly!

Purchased recently (12/11/2013), already with: Stage 2 Pedders lowered springs, rear Whiteline sway bar, Advan Racing TCII 18x8 wheels, k&N pod filter, custom 3" exhaust system from turbo back with Magnaflow mufflers. ECUTEK tune of some sort (hopefully soon to be fixed)..... now FIXED!! Now KiDo Tuned!
Added: HID kit, EZ lip equivalents to the front and sides, and various LED treatments, oem boot spoiler, [LGT WRC] plates, GFB Respons BOV for extra Pssscchhh! --> Gone... I couldn't afford it's heart transplant... but keep a look out, as it will come back on sale soon!
d-chang
-stickered-

Car: MY05 Liberty GT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=15749

Postby paggaz » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:00 pm

TheFirstEskimo wrote:Forgot all about this untill yesterday evening when I was working on in the engine bay. Was so damn hot in there I rembered this topic and how i wanted cold air induction.

Noticed something I've never noticed before.......

The front bumper on the drivers side has a removable section.

This is ONLY on the drivers side for some reason. Does anyone know the logic behind this? :?

If it was on both sides then I'd just cut out tabs underneath, stick mesh over, then pipe up to the intake.

Bolt in tow hook/eyelet. You should be able to find it in the spare wheel well, along with scissor jack etc.
paggaz

Car: 2007 GT Spec.B Wagon Silver
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17423#p241526

Postby TheFirstEskimo » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:07 pm

d-chang wrote:Just did my own CAI on the weekend...

Bought the following items:

- TFI Racing Induction Hose from Repco (atm on sale for $19.99)
- Silicone hose joiner ($30)
- Some fly screen material from Bunnings ($3.60)

So I actually removed my resonator ages ago, but thought I would actually put that empty area to good use and create my own induction pipe. So looking from the engine bay, the stock airbox and snorkel remains, but the party starts happening below! 8)

So from the outside... all people can see is that I have fly screen covering where the foglight used to be and if you look in, I have bought the blue hose for coolness (choices of colours were red, black and blue).

Results, my car is a bit louder and more responsive!

You sacrificed your foglights?!?!?

How are you going to look cool driving around on a clear night? (insert tongue in cheek smilie here)
TheFirstEskimo

PreviousNext

Return to Reference material & Walkthroughs