Removing Intake Resonator Walkthrough with pics

Detailed descriptions of how to do things to your Liberty.

Re: Removing Intake Resonator Walkthrough with pics

Postby castek » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:51 pm

I was thinking of making something up out of stainless to replace that resonator, but really could not be bothered

All you'd need is about 500mm of 200diam tube, and two 200diam tube end caps. would need to weld a bit of 3" on for the plastic to grab onto when clamped on, or make the whole lots out of stainless and weld straight in.

then drill and tap a small hole for the sensor.

sounds easy and probably is, wouldnt cost more than $100 to make yourself, but who know if its going to help performance wise? its probably more wank factor.
castek

Car: 2005 Liberty 2.5i Arctic White

Postby Robbks » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:55 pm

looking at this pic as an example
all that honeycombing looking junk in there cannot be good for airflow at all.
unless it somehow acts like the dimples on a golf-ball??
but i reckon it's all about acoustics to make the intake quieter, which usually means bad for airflow

coyote wrote:Sure, a GTR is fast ... but it's about as interesting as listening to grass grow.
Robbks

Car: MY06 3.0RB Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12350

Postby Jim » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:01 pm

just did this mod in like 30seconds! Easy as!

To all those asking about for/against covering up the hole, i wouldnt even bother. If you were to cover up the hole it would be pointless to be removing the resonator at all in the first place. That hole will suck cool air in which is fed through around the foglights and under the plastic mouldings and will act as a another source of air collection, which we know. By covering it up you restrict the flow i reckon about 50% as its just about the same size as the duct inlet, why not have 2 sources of fresh air?

Will post results tomorrow for the 2.5T!

Not that i needed it but great walkthrough to those who are a bit shy with their engine bay!
Jim

Car: MY07 GT-B

Postby Robbks » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:28 pm

As above.
super easy job.

made easier for me by there only being the single nut inside the airbox.
the other two bolts were M.I.A (now replaced one of them)
no noticible difference in performance noticed (didn't expect any) from a quick belt around the street.
but some slight difference in engine note as expected, for the better
bursons didn't have a new air filter in stock, it's pretty filthy and i'd have replaced it while i was there.
coyote wrote:Sure, a GTR is fast ... but it's about as interesting as listening to grass grow.
Robbks

Car: MY06 3.0RB Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12350

Postby Kekotic » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:21 pm

Jim wrote:just did this mod in like 30seconds! Easy as!

To all those asking about for/against covering up the hole, i wouldnt even bother. If you were to cover up the hole it would be pointless to be removing the resonator at all in the first place. That hole will suck cool air in which is fed through around the foglights and under the plastic mouldings and will act as a another source of air collection, which we know. By covering it up you restrict the flow i reckon about 50% as its just about the same size as the duct inlet, why not have 2 sources of fresh air?

PHAT GT has a custom mod he can do to post facelift fog light surrounds on the Spec.B bumper so you can draft air directly from there straight in to the stock airbox. So anyone that's in Sydney, give it a shot.
I'll be getting mine done soon, when I get round to taking it off :|
Kekotic
-stickered-

Car: MY07 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13066

Postby Synesthesia » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:47 am

Going to do this today but may have a look at cutting the lower parts off of the resonator bottle so that the first part from the airbox sits into the guard and acts as a secondary intake.
Synesthesia

Car: MY99 WRX & MY04 GT Premium

Postby Synesthesia » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:57 pm

So my resonator is off, a simple job made even easier by the walk through.

Have to say, I was a bit dissapointed with the results.

When I took the resonator off of my WRX I could hear distinct spooling sounds and a decent sneeze from the stock recirculating BOV. (Not as much as I do now with a cold air intake, silicon inlet pipe and pod filter, but still a very noticeable difference.)

Taking the resonator off of the GT didn't deliver either, I still can't hear any turbo spool or the BOV, though I wasn't expecting much of the latter with the car being an auto. If anything I noticed some added induction noise at idle similar to having another fan.

Will drive it for a day or so to test it out but the resonator is likely going to go back on.
Synesthesia

Car: MY99 WRX & MY04 GT Premium

Postby blkdog » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:43 am

+1 Just did the milk-bottle-ectomy to my 2.5i easiest thing i've ever done. I think it took about 8 minutes (plus 5 wasted minutes coz i dropped a bolt that fell on to the engine protector plate thingie right down the bottom...damn non magnetized bolts) :) thanks for the idea and walkthrough.

My milk bottle (resonator thingie) was just collecting bugs and leaves any way...

As for sound: i can really hear it when i give it a boot around 2500 to 4000 RPM (Sounds heaps better) i like it, it sounds way more throaty & ballsy now. Big ups to the walkthrough :D

Thanks & Cheers
Slow is the new fast... Not anymore!! Sort of...
blkdog

Car: MY08 3.0R Spec B - 6 M/T Wagon

Postby bigamph » Mon May 16, 2011 1:22 pm

Will have to give this a go!
CURRENT RIDE 2005 Silver Liberty 3.0L R-B.... HDI's (thanks HKS180!), HKS Panel Filter (thanks PHAT!) 18in Speedy Lite FIN Wheels wrapped in Pirelli P-Zero's, X-Force Catback Exhaust, (lookalike) STI front lip, removed resonator bottle, Clarion aux connector, Dixel slotted rotors, Dixel type M pads, Sports mesh grill (again PHAT), glow-in-the-dark rosary beads...

PREVIOUS RIDE 1994 R32 Skyline GTR, 303rwkw, N1 turbos, R34 GTR Brembos, TEIN coilovers.... Ah memories....

IN THE PIPELINE Diffuser, Outback Bonnet... & Supercharger maybe???? And the list goes on....
bigamph

Car: 2005 3.0R-B Liberty

Postby bigamph » Thu May 19, 2011 5:59 pm

Done!

The only difference from the original post was that when it came to the screw at the top of the airbox (on the inside) I removed the nut on the BACK of the outside of the airbox (behind the light)

Would probably have been easier if I did it the other way but oh well, job done!

Gotta say it doesn't sound that different, but I have just put a cat-back exhaust and the only really noticable difference is there is less mechanical noise above say, 4000rpm...
CURRENT RIDE 2005 Silver Liberty 3.0L R-B.... HDI's (thanks HKS180!), HKS Panel Filter (thanks PHAT!) 18in Speedy Lite FIN Wheels wrapped in Pirelli P-Zero's, X-Force Catback Exhaust, (lookalike) STI front lip, removed resonator bottle, Clarion aux connector, Dixel slotted rotors, Dixel type M pads, Sports mesh grill (again PHAT), glow-in-the-dark rosary beads...

PREVIOUS RIDE 1994 R32 Skyline GTR, 303rwkw, N1 turbos, R34 GTR Brembos, TEIN coilovers.... Ah memories....

IN THE PIPELINE Diffuser, Outback Bonnet... & Supercharger maybe???? And the list goes on....
bigamph

Car: 2005 3.0R-B Liberty

Postby Tex 3.0R-B » Fri May 20, 2011 11:49 pm

Just did mine, I think it sounds better.
When I took off the resonator I had a look through the shed and found a siliconr 90 from the Silvia, fit snug into the hole. It now points toward the front hopefully sucking cold air. Fuel economy is slightly better when crusing on the freeway, around town its the same because I love the sound of the 3.0 @ 3500 rpm + so I shift late :)

Cheers
Tex
Tex 3.0R-B

Car: 04 Liberty Wagon

Postby Rome_BRZ » Fri May 27, 2011 3:34 pm

Tex 3.0R-B wrote:Just did mine, I think it sounds better.
When I took off the resonator I had a look through the shed and found a siliconr 90 from the Silvia, fit snug into the hole. It now points toward the front hopefully sucking cold air. Fuel economy is slightly better when crusing on the freeway, around town its the same because I love the sound of the 3.0 @ 3500 rpm + so I shift late :)

Cheers
Tex

Haha this is the same thing that happened to me! I had the resonator taken out last weekend and my economy has been 2-3 litres/100km higher because I love the induction sound and mini blow off noise I'm getting! God help me when I put the cold air intake in haha.
Rome_BRZ
formerly Rome_STI

Car: 2015 Audi S3 Sedan
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12392

Postby Kekotic » Fri May 27, 2011 3:37 pm

Removed.
Last edited by Kekotic on Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kekotic
-stickered-

Car: MY07 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13066

Postby Rome_BRZ » Fri May 27, 2011 3:40 pm

chaotic2050 wrote:
Rome_STI wrote:Haha this is the same thing that happened to me! I had the resonator taken out last weekend and my economy has been 2-3 litres/100km higher because I love the induction sound and mini blow off noise I'm getting! God help me when I put the cold air intake in haha.

Hang on aren't you the same guy that said you don't want a louder exhaust? Surely you would hate the sound of a CAI?

To me there's a difference between a loud, vibrating exhaust and the induction sucking and blowing noise.

Also, the other reason I'm staying away from the exhaust is because I like the STi cans and don't want to change them; everyone says they are sound restrictive and that doesn't bother me.

Anyways to avoid getting off topic, the jury is still out as to whether I will like the CAI or not, I will hopefully get to sit in someone's car and hear theirs before installing mine. Worse case scenario is I don't like it and revert to the stock intake and sell the aftermarket one :)
Rome_BRZ
formerly Rome_STI

Car: 2015 Audi S3 Sedan
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12392

Postby Bryzie » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:58 pm

Hey guys, tried this one out over the weekend. Blanked off the hole for now (but thinking of the bunnings pvc treatment) not a huge difference but not bad. Was wondering if anyone has had a go at removing the res from the intake pipe? Didn't know if I should bother or just go for some silicon and replace the whole lot (MY08 2.5i)
Attachments
2.jpg
2.jpg (61.1 KiB) Viewed 15587 times
Bryzie

Car: MY08 Liberty 2.5Wag

PreviousNext

Return to Reference material & Walkthroughs