DIY: Replace Cabin Filter

Detailed descriptions of how to do things to your Liberty.

Re: DIY: Replace Cabin Filter

Postby adhar » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:58 pm

teK-- wrote:Does anyone know how to check if that glovebox side panel is actually removable? I heard in the earlier ones (MY04?) it is not removable and you have to go through a whole bigger process to get the glovebox out. I don't wanna pull too hard on the side panel and break something coz it's not removable!

Thanks.

Exactly the same, I have a MY05 and all the same parts come off as in the pics.
adhar
-stickered-

Car: VE SS-V

Postby teK-- » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:28 pm

The Legacy GT guys have posted a how-to, to rip out the guts of the filter frame and just install your own filter media into it, which works out much much cheaper than the Subie genuine filters.

I just can't find the pleated filters that they cut up to fit into the filter frame! The Americans are using a product called 3M Filtrete which 3M has told me they have discontinued in Australia (and haven't replaced it with another line). Is anyone else gutting their filter frames and installing their own media? What product did you use and where did you get it from?
MY04 2.5i Safety 5MT Sedan "Project Locomotive"
..: JDM Subaru-AVO-Whiteline-Bilstein-Swift Springs-Cusco-Rallitek-GT Brakes-Remsa-K4RT30Y-Blitz-Philips-Défi-STI-Sabelt-Redline-Alpine-Polk Audio-Kenwood-Dynamat :..
teK--
-stickered-

Postby libertygt » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:16 pm

wicked man. thankz
GT-B | Wagon | Manual | Black
libertygt

Car: Lib Spec B GT-B 2.5t Wagon

Postby teK-- » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:23 pm

Hey overl0ad how much was the genuine Subie filter?

I have looked everywhere for the pleated filter material to make my own and am getting very frustrated! Have tried Bunnings, Home hardware, Mitre 10, Big W, Kmart, even retail outlets for air conditioning and ducted heating systems.

I was then directed to a ducted heating plant (a huge freakin factory) and they sold me a big sheet of flat filter material for $15 which in hindsight is not really suitable as it will block much more quickly than pleated filter.
..: JDM Subaru-AVO-Whiteline-Bilstein-Swift Springs-Cusco-Rallitek-GT Brakes-Remsa-K4RT30Y-Blitz-Philips-Défi-STI-Sabelt-Redline-Alpine-Polk Audio-Kenwood-Dynamat :..
teK--
-stickered-

Postby adhar » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:32 am

Hey Tek,

Unless you drive through sandstorms every day i think you will find it will be quite clean anyway.
Before you buy a new one just take out your current one and check out the condition. You could always give it a wash and let it dry before putting it back in. Save some money.

I did my 100k service myself not that long ago and when i took out that filter it looked brand new so i put it back in.

Andrew.
adhar
-stickered-

Car: VE SS-V

Postby overl0ad » Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:20 am

sorry, i honestly don't remember how much it was.

but i know you can get them on ebay for less than what subaru is charging.
tangcla wrote:I didn't have to. I have girly Asian hands :lol:
overl0ad

Car: MY07 GTB 6MT *sold*

Postby teK-- » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:48 pm

Thanks overload; the ebay filters appear only to be in the USA so shipping would negate any saving. I pulled out my filter today and it was freakin disgusting. I have used the filter media I bought the other day as a temporary fix until I get a proper filter in there.

P.S. It is a much much bigger job to get to the filter in my MY04 I have to remove the console box, the trim around the stereo/shifter, the centre console side trim, the underside of the glovebox, inner door scuff plate trim, kick panel trim, the whole glovebox, just to reach the filter. But now that I've done it once it would not take longer than 15mins.

I suspect though that even though Subaru serviced the car for the previous owner 12.5KKms ago that the tech cbf changing the filter despite it being required.
Attachments
IMG_2080.JPG
IMG_2080.JPG (78.81 KiB) Viewed 5102 times
teK--
-stickered-

Postby overl0ad » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:56 pm

i found this today.

http://www.zerosports.co.jp/shop/index. ... cts_id=121

it's a carbon pollen filter from zero sports.

and, if you really desperate, just rinse the thing for the time being.
tangcla wrote:I didn't have to. I have girly Asian hands :lol:
overl0ad

Car: MY07 GTB 6MT *sold*

Postby smythie » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:50 pm

holy crap
Flag Bitch

MY06 3.0RB
smythie

Car: MY06 3RB - Blue

Postby teK-- » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:32 pm

Just called them today Subaru price is $72.00 supply only.

I am going to buy aftermarket ones from Ebay they are $28.00AUD each, landed from the USA:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Subaru-L ... ccessories
teK--
-stickered-

Postby teK-- » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:55 pm

UPDATE: OK do NOT buy that filter I posted the URL for. Not only was it totaly the wrong part (the filter came in 2 sections), but the design and build quality is really bad. I ended up shelling out the $72.00 for OEM filter.
teK--
-stickered-

Postby GTBR46 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:43 pm

slightly off topic.....anyone know if this filter is in the same place in a forester?
09 Liberty GT Spec B R 46/50
05 Forester XT Luxury
92 Brumby (EJ25)
89 Subaru Brumby (Targa) original
GTBR46
formerly Hamish71

Postby teK-- » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:35 pm

For anyone who wants to do a conversion on their MY04/MY05 to make replacing the cabin filter much easier, check out this post which lists all the parts needed to replace the back of the glovebox with MY08 which includes an access door to replace the filter easily:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php ... ostcount=9

For the meantime I'm just going to keep pulling one half of the lower console apart to get to the filter every 30,000Kms or so :)
teK--
-stickered-

Postby teK-- » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:38 pm

Morgan:

If you find that your filters in the Forester come in two pieces (one smaller rectangular piece, and one piece that's larger but has a sloped end on it like a wedge), then let me know because I bought 2 sets from the USA and they didn't fit my Libby. You can have them for free if they suit your car.

If you are still in ACT just get your wife to pick them up off my work or something.
teK--
-stickered-

Postby blacktop™ » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:49 am

whats this actually for? the A/C or something?
blacktop™

Car: MY07 GT spec.B wagon 6MT

PreviousNext

Return to Reference material & Walkthroughs