DIY: Front Lower Control Arm - Rear bush install

Detailed descriptions of how to do things to your Liberty.

DIY: Front Lower Control Arm - Rear bush install

Postby DownUnder » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:51 am

Difficulty (1-10): 3

Hey everyone,

I did this a few months ago but have finally gotten around to making a thread about it.

From what I've read, liberty's have a pretty common fault of the front LCA rear bushing wearing out. My car was giving me some noise so I decided to get underneath and check it out. What you're looking for is splitting and tearing or cracks in the bush. This is normally enough to slightly affect your handling and give you some noise.

It is highly recommended that when you purchase a replacement bush you go for one that adds caster correction (AKA anti-lift kit) as it improves your steering geometry. You can read more about this here: http://www.whiteline.com.au/articles/Ef ... 0ALK_b.pdf

If you're going aftermarket it's very likely that your bushes will be polyurethane. There is a bit of a debate with mechanics about rubber vs polyurethane as stock rubber tends to not need greasing. Unfortunately rubber breaks down due to ozone but it tends to give less NVH(noise vibration harshness) compared to polyurethane. I've consulted a few people about replacing the front bush at the same time as the rear but they recommend against it as the front provides a great ride and doesn't take the forces that the rear takes meaning it is very unlikely to be worn out.

Now to the gritty stuff.
Here is a Whiteline ALK. This is what I chose to replace my bushings with but the method should be pretty universal.
I purchased it from MRT's ebay store as it was a fair bit cheaper than buying it direct from whiteline: http://stores.ebay.com.au/MRT-Performance-Online

1. Jack up the front of your car and put it on jackstands. You need to do both sides to relieve tension on the swaybar.

2. Remove both the front wheels. You should now be faced with a sight like this. I have highlighted the bolts that need undoing and the order of removal.(red) I have also highlighted the bush we are replacing(yellow)

3. first unbolt the swaybar link. You have a choice of unbolting it from the bar or the arm. I chose the arm as it leaves less clutter when the new bush is being installed. swing the link out of the way

4.Unbolt the front bush and remove the bolt.

5. Unbolt the rear bush and the unbolt the two bolts holding on the retaining plate.

6. The arm should now be hanging down from the ball joint. Get behind the hub and remove the bolt that holds the ball joint in. Note: do not remove the split pin and castle nut. You are just making things hard for yourself.

7. Swing the arm from side to side and push and wiggle and eventually the steering knuckle will let go on the ball joint. Try to get on an angle where you can see if it's coming out straight or not and it's quite hard to move crooked. Don't be afraid to hit on the arm with a mallet or hammer (within reason. No going hulk. It will come with relative ease)

You now have a released arm!
8. You can take it to a mechanic or a mate with a press and get them to press out the old bush and press in the new but that won't save you maximum $$ Skip the next four steps if you do.

9. Remove the rubber 'core' of the bush. I did this using a variety of hammer and screwdrivers. If you want to do it the quick way melt it out with a gas torch (captain planet will be sad)

10. Here's maybe the hardest bit of the whole process. Get a hacksaw and remove the blade. Run it through the centre of the bush and reattach to the hacksaw. Now CAREFULLY start sawing through the steel "sleeve" that is the bush outer. Regularly check your depth to make sure you're not cutting into the outer casing.
(refer to above pic. You can see a line between the bush and the arm)

11. Using a screwdriver, chisel or cold chisel try to "crease" the bush outer along your cuts. If they're deep enough they will gradually separate from the outer. If it seems impossible you probably haven't cut deep enough yet.

12. Clean up the press surface (the surface you just revealed) with a bit of sandpaper (80-120g) Make sure it is free of any burrs and defects but don't go too crazy.

13. The bush is now ready to be pressed in. If you don't have a press take it to a local workshop with your new bushes. If they ask for more than $15 I would go elsewhere as that's a serious rip. Most mates should do it for a 6-pack ;) (Most people don't but some do. Maybe a friend?)

14. This is what the bush should look like installed. Almost ready to go back on the car. (note: the arms are marked L and R)

15. Grease that sucker up! If you have a whiteline kit like me and it came with grease make sure you use a fair bit of it. Whiteline didn't give you all that grease just to put a light film on. It's at this stage that I would make the outside of the steel insert with a permanent marker so you can reference it later. Make sure you grease all the contact surfaces. (Metal to poly, poly to poly)

16. Slide the sleeve into the bush making sure it lines up like the whiteline diagram

17. Get back under the car and slip that balljoint back in. Make sure it's straight as it goes in easier. You may need to tap the bottom nut with a hammer to make sure it goes all the way in then slip the bolt in the hold it there. (do it up most of the threads but don't tighten it fully.) The head of the bolt faces the front of the vehicle if you don't remember.

18. now slip the front bush into it's position. This may take a bit of wrestling but it'll get there. Slip the bolt through and put the nut on a couple of threads but DO NOT tighten it. This will cause the bushing to fail.

19. Slip your new rear bushing over the stud. You won't be able to get it all the way up the stud as it's lower compliance compared to the old bushing. Push up on it enough that you can get the washer and nut on there. (usually a couple of threads is all that's possible) We'll worry about the plate later.

20. This step can only be done with a trolley jack. DO NOT attempt this with a scissor jack as there is a high risk on injury. Place the cup of the jack under the castle nut of the ball joint. Jack up until you see the car JUST lift from the jackstand. This literally only needs to be a millimetre or two. Just so you can see a slight gap.

21. Tighten the nut on the rear bush up. (don't do it tight, just enough to move the bush up the stud) Then loosen it right up. Don't worry the suspension is not going to fly off at you. Still, do so with care. Place the plate over the stud and chuck that nut back on. Then through the two bolts that hold the plate to the body in.

22. Adjust your sleeve so the mark you made before faces the outside of the car. I found an allen key to be an appropriate adjustment tool.

23. Tighten all the suspension components. Ball joint to 50Nm, Front bush to 95Nm, rear bush to 110Nm and the the bolts holding the rear plate to the body 150Nm. Note: These must be tightened with the suspension "loaded" hence why it's jacked up.

24. Release the jack.

25. Re-install the swaybar link. Tighten this to 45Nm note: The swaybar must be above the LCA before you reinstall it. I found this out the hard way.

Re-install your wheel and you're done! You've just replaced/upgraded your front LCA rear bushes. Don't forget to get an alignment!

Happy Driving.
Last edited by DownUnder on Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:59 pm, edited 5 times in total.
TOM

2004 MY04 2.5i Liberty Wagon (5MT)
DownUnder

Car: 2004 MY04 Liberty 2.5i Wagon Manual
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=24070

Re: DIY: Front Lower Control Arm - Rear bush install

Postby DownUnder » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:52 am

This took way longer than expected. I know it's full of grammatical errors which I will fix when I have the time. Feel free to ask any questions or add any points and I will add them to the guide.
TOM

DownUnder

Postby jay.ritchie » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:20 pm

Great write-up mate! Very handy
jay.ritchie

Car: MY12 VW Golf R
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21040

Postby mynameisdaniel » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:37 pm

Awesome right up! Will definitely be referring to this when I do mine. Thanks :)
mynameisdaniel

Car: 07 Subaru Liberty GT tbSTi Sedan
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15835

Postby bigBADbenny » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:40 pm

Sick love it. ;)
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby mynameisdaniel » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:24 pm

Just removed mine following this (so I didn't take apart half the car like usual). Two things I'd add :)

To remove the sway bar link an allen key fits into the end of the bolt to stop it spinning, took me a while to work that out as I was using a socket and couldn't see it...

On my car (and presumably all facelift models with HIDs) there's a height sensor attached to the passenger front LCA, undoes easily with a 10mm socket but just thought I'd point it out in case someone's trying this blind.
mynameisdaniel

Car: 07 Subaru Liberty GT tbSTi Sedan
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15835

Postby macko » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:30 pm

Thanks Tom; just completed and a lit more happy with the steering wheel response, not as bumpy, but I definitely agree with you on the wheel alignment.

Your write up definitely made things easier! :)
macko

Car: MY09 Liberty GT Spec.B R

Postby Maxi » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:39 pm

Hi Guys,
My Bushes have finally arrived and I am aiming to tackle this job myself. Does anyone know what the optimum front wheel allignment specs are after installation on Standard suspension(GTB) just so I can let the tyre shop know. Also anyone rate my chances pushing the old bush out or at least the new bush in with a 1 tonne bench vice? :)
Thanks
Maxi

Car: MY07 liberty GTB wagon 6speed

Postby DownUnder » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:04 pm

Do the cutting thing that I did with a hacksaw. Take it slow and the old one should come out. I really wouldn't recommend using the bench vice. It'll be hard to get a straight press and you might mar the back side of arm or the bush.

As far as alignment goes, all toe straight on 0. Camber is purely all choice. If you've got extra caster you could run it on 0 (this is the factory setting) or you go 0.5-1 deg which I personally prefer. If you've got anti-lift bushes your caster should go from 4.5-5 deg to 5.5-6 deg.
TOM

DownUnder

Postby Maxi » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:23 pm

Thanks Tom,
I got the caster adjustable KCA 334 bushes. Also I see that the liberty uses the steel washers under the Control arm. Look forward to tackling this job. I also got the W0506 bushes for the front of the control arm so will do them at the same time. :)
Maxi

Postby Maxi » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:06 pm

In the process of this install. Thanks for the tip of removing the Rear lower bush. I am ready for the KCA 334 Bushes to get pressed in. Definitely not something to do on a vice!
I will be seeing my mechanic to use the press.
Has anyone done the front bush W0506? If so was it a PITA to press out and is there a difference after the install in the "feeling" of the steering/car handling?
I supposing no one has done just the front bush without doing the rear bush KCA 334 :)
cheers
Maxi

Postby Maxi » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:43 pm

Install completed tonight, very happy with the small drive around the local streets. Will organise a wheel alignment asap. Those torque specs obviously are form the manual. The 2 bolts that bolt the plate on to the body at the rear bush I torqued to 110NM instead of 150NM I was paranoid I would strip the thread? Even at 110NM I'm really pushing hard on the 1/2 inch torque wrench. I also torqued the KCA334 bush to 95NM instead of 110NM. The others I did as recommended
Anyone really torque to the specs on those particular bolts/nut?. Having said that the wheel nut torque specs are 110NM for a M12x1.25 thread. Maybe I answered my own question :o
btw alignment spec from Whiteline are FRONT 0.0mm toe, Max Caster and -1.0 camber. REAR toe out 0.5-1.0mm -1.0 camber
Maxi

Postby DownUnder » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:11 am

Maxi wrote:btw alignment spec from Whiteline are FRONT 0.0mm toe, Max Caster and -1.0 camber. REAR toe out 0.5-1.0mm -1.0 camber

hmmmm interesting. I'd still go 0 toe all around.
TOM

DownUnder

Postby Out6ack » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:11 pm

Anyone really torque to the specs on those particular bolts/nut?

Interested in this.

I'm about to do the same install & a bit sus on the recommended torque settings. Sus because I snapped a sway bar mount bolt trying to get to the recommended 28nm when the old grunt-o-meter was telling me it was tight enuf. :angry2:
Is it a case of certain suspension components MUST be torqued to spec & others just be guided by the size of the bolt/common sense??
Out6ack

Car: 05 Outback 3.0 Premium.

Postby JaffaSIX » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:15 am

Hey Guys,

I just found out my LHF Front arm rear bush is torn.
What whiteline kit would I need? I believe its KCA334 to suit a outback. (My car is a MY05 Liberty wagon 3l)

Another question, I can understand why its called a Caster Correction kit, but why does it also day anti Lift?

Thanks Guys
JaffaSIX

Car: MY05 Subaru Liberty 3.0R Wagon

Next

Return to Reference material & Walkthroughs