Walkthrough: Hyperflow Top Mount Intercooler Install

Detailed descriptions of how to do things to your Liberty.

Walkthrough: Hyperflow Top Mount Intercooler Install

Postby Akwoo » Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:24 pm

Hi all, heres my long waited Hyperflow TMIC install for MY05 Subaru Liberty GT BP5/BL5. I'll make it short and sweet, hopefully i remembered all the steps :P.

Details of this product can be found here: http://www.hyperflow.com.au/catlog_pgs/ ... rester.pdf

Out of the packaging the intercooler looks like this

Comparing it to the standard intercooler, you will notice that it relatively the same size in terms of width and length, but it is nearly twice as thick as the standard intercooler. The end tanks are also a lot bigger.

Now the steps to install it.

1. Remove the engine cover off the engine

2. Take off the BOV of the Intercooler

3. Loosen and remove all bolts (2 if I recall correctly) mounting intercooler to engine.

4. Loosen all intercooler hosing enough to be able remove intercooler from piping

5. Remove Intercooler from Engine Bay

6. Now take off two of the washes off the standard intercooler to reuse on new intercooler

7. Loosen the intercooler mount, this help give more room for placing new intercooler in (optional - remember to tighten back up after fitting), then put intercooler into engine bay reusing existing intercooler hosing.

8. Bolt Intercooler back to place, reusing existing mounting spots (Notice to reusing of bolts on the new intercooler). Tighten all intercooler hosing (no pics to show this)

9. Attach BOV back on

10. Bolt On Power, Woohoo. I didn't reset the ECU and couldn't definately feel the power improvement, especially torque down low. You can choose to reset ECU if you like, in order to do this, take off positive terminal off your battery and leave overnight then reconnect in morning.

woops forgot to rotate (rotate your monitor haha)

Any questions, feel free to post here or email me.
Cheers,
Alan
Last edited by Akwoo on Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Akwoo

Postby Akwoo » Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:25 pm

moderators plz move this to walkthrough area.
thanks
Akwoo

Postby Kosti » Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:39 pm

Awesome work mate!

Looks like I'll have to do the same when I put mine on the B4..

Disconnecting the +ve terminal, mmm for resting the ECU in the B4 it's the opposite, remove the -ve terminal, but this will also trigger yor alarm and you will need to factory master code (this is on the B4 with the brant keypad alarm)
Kosti

Postby Ric » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:54 pm

Kosti wrote:...
Disconnecting the +ve terminal, mmm for resting the ECU in the B4 it's the opposite, remove the -ve terminal, but this will also trigger yor alarm and you will need to factory master code (this is on the B4 with the brant keypad alarm)

In electrical terms, there is no difference which terminal you disconnect.
It's just safer to do the negative, as this won't make any sparks fly if yours spannrrrre se
Ric
Site Admin

Car: OLD: MY06 3RB Wagon NEW: MY21 Outbck
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12

Postby XRC15T » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:58 pm

nice walkthrough, did you have to mod the cover?
XRC15T

Postby fish_boy79 » Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:01 am

if you have strut brace you'll need to cut the cover. will also need to modify cover if a aftermarket bov is installed.
fish_boy79

Postby Ric » Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:37 pm

Ric wrote:In electrical terms, there is no difference which terminal you disconnect.
It's just safer to do the negative, as this won't make any sparks fly if yours spannrrrre se

I'm back on air.
I spilled some water on my notebook keyboard on Wed night, and now a quarter of the keys don't work right. Finally stopped at a town large enough to have a Dick Smith where I could buy an external keyboard. :D

I meant to type:
"It's just safer to do the negative, as this won't make any sparks fly if your spanner touches the body."
Ric
Site Admin

Car: OLD: MY06 3RB Wagon NEW: MY21 Outbck
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12

Postby netrace » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:07 pm

icandy - where did you get Hyperflow from, as their only distributor is MRT?
I just don't want to buy it off MRT, anyone knows of the cheaper place I can get my hands on Hyperflow TMIC?

Thank you...
netrace

Postby fish_boy79 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:07 pm

netrace wrote:icandy - where did you get Hyperflow from, as their only distributor is MRT?
I just don't want to buy it off MRT, anyone knows of the cheaper place I can get my hands on Hyperflow TMIC?

Thank you...

send a pm to phat gt. he should be able to help you out.
fish_boy79

Postby netrace » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:14 pm

thanks for the suggestion fish_boy79, I am already compiling "list" for Michael, so I guess I will just add another item on to it :D
netrace

Postby hellashort » Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:58 pm

You and me both netrace. Looks like it is gonna be a walk in the park.

I sure hope my wife comes onboard with these mods. We made an agreement in principle the Liberty needs to be approx as fast as our old 03 WRX (stock) so I can mod up to that point. Not sure about what will happen whenthe bill for the bits comes in.

How many posts do I have to do so I can see the photos? I am posting a few things to get the count up.
Life, love, breath and all things good; just give me drivetrain snapping power!!
hellashort

Postby bonski » Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:03 pm

pictures and post count are mutually exclusive

Those pics need to be rehosted by icandy.
bonski

Postby Akwoo » Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:56 pm

found the pics and have rehosted on new server.
Akwoo

Return to Reference material & Walkthroughs