HOW-TO: Install Anycar 1080D in MY04

Detailed descriptions of how to do things to your Liberty.

HOW-TO: Install Anycar 1080D in MY04

Postby LostyJai » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:44 pm

Hi guys,

Like most people on the forum I've been trying to find a way to play audio in my car, without having to replace the entire head unit. Finally I've found it, the AnyCar 1080D bought from http://www.aboutsound.co.nz/iPod.html who sold it to me for $140 shipped, very friendly and helpful people, highly recommended!!!

The audio quality is excellent, it charges my iPhone and I can use the head unit to select previous/next songs!

Lets get down to business and install this bad boy!

I printed off this pdf https://dl.dropbox.com/u/11792766/forum/Anycar/057966-H621SXA200261155.pdf which had instructions on removing the head unit, just from page 2-3 and steps 1-10 (skipped steps 7-9).

Okay firstly you need put the car in neutral (mine is an auto, but I'd assume it's similar in an auto) so the headunit can come out, and put the handbrake up. I stuck some cloth tape around a flat head screwdriver (so it won't scratch the plastic), and used it to pry the shifter trim rim off. Don't be scared to use a little bit of force, it's not that flimsy.

Once that is off, with the same screwdriver get the lower trim panel off. I dug the screwdriver into the sides first as it was easier to get to, then worked on the bottom two tabs (may need to use a bit of force), after that it just came off.

Disconnect the adapter.

Remove the two screws.

The side trim panels should be rather easy to pull off.

With the money left over from the previous owner(s), go buy yourself a quarter pounder meal. (Will vary between owners/cars)

Remove the 6 bolts that are holding the head unit inplace. Please be careful with the two that are hidden, I did not have a magnetic screwdriver so one of them dropped when I unscrewed it, never to be seen again...

Carefully pull the head unit out. If you wish you can disconnect all the cables behind it, but I was too lazy so I left it.

There is only one port that the cable goes into, so you can't get it wrong. Plug the sucker in and be blown away!

THE TEST...

I didn't really think about where I should put the device, so I just shoved it under the gear shifter where I can access it easily at a later date.

Plugged both an AUX and apple device cable into the Anycar, and pulled it out under the ash tray. You have to fold the cables into the tray, but it will close (just).

Another mod, learnt a bit more about the car! WIN!!! :D
Last edited by LostyJai on Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
LostyJai

Car: 2005 Liberty GT Premium

Re: HOW-TO: Install Anycar 1080D in MY04

Postby cvas » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:02 pm

Well done and nice post
cvas

Car: MY07 GT-B

Postby ynot87 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:09 am

Nice write up, this will come in handy when i get my anycar link 1080A which is due to arrive in a few days.
Cheers.
ynot87

Car: MY06 Liberty GT TB STi
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16443

Postby Rome_BRZ » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:51 pm

So how does the ipod/iphone integration part of it work? Do you still have to use your ipod/iphone to change songs etc?
Rome_BRZ
formerly Rome_STI

Car: 2015 Audi S3 Sedan
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12392

Postby SegR » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:22 pm

Simon did you not have to remove the handbrake boot and centre console? That's what I did, following some other guides and the Subaru service manual. It was a PITA!
I'll be placing a link to this thread in the ipod/aux in superthread.

Jerome tracks can be changed on either the ipod or using the head unit or steering wheel controls.
Team Beards
Beards Don't Kill People, People With Beards Kill People.
SegR

Car: MY05 3.0R sedan, black
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14605

Postby Rome_BRZ » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:25 pm

SegR wrote:Jerome tracks can be changed on either the ipod or using the head unit or steering wheel controls.

Thanks! Cos I have an AUX input but would love to change the tracks through the steering wheel controls!
Rome_BRZ
formerly Rome_STI

Car: 2015 Audi S3 Sedan
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12392

Postby LostyJai » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:11 pm

SegR wrote:Simon did you not have to remove the handbrake boot and centre console? That's what I did, following some other guides and the Subaru service manual. It was a PITA!

Nah I didn't have to remove the handbrake boot and center console. Removing the shifter and lower trim panel was enough to get the headunit out! =P

Rome_STI wrote:
SegR wrote:Jerome tracks can be changed on either the ipod or using the head unit or steering wheel controls.

Thanks! Cos I have an AUX input but would love to change the tracks through the steering wheel controls!

With iPhones/iPods you can change songs either using the device itself or the head unit. However with AUX you have to use the device, makes sense since AUX is just transferring audio.
LostyJai

Car: 2005 Liberty GT Premium

Postby StefanZ » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:24 pm

Hi guys,

Just had to sign up to the forums to say how useful this walkthrough was, been on your site heaps since I got my new (to me) Liberty and found many a thread very helpful! I also had to share the fact that I opened my centre console today because I wanted to see if it was possible to install the AnyCar Link myself, and the centre console looked like it'd already been taken apart as the right side wood finish part seemed slightly loose... Opened it up to find the previous owner had obviously decided nobody wanted a nokia in-car phone setup anymore, and had shoved a bunch of connectors and cables into the gap LostJai conveniently had space to put the anycar link box...
I spose once I receive the new link I'll be pulling out a lot of cabling and things!
And alas, there were no coins. not happy about that either :P

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for the walkthrough, hopefully post back in a week or two with positive results!
StefanZ

Car: Liberty My05 H6.0R

Postby chanham » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:11 pm

excellent write up - used this today and my lib now has aux/sd/usb playback! :D

cheers!
chanham
formerly ciand06

Car: Subaru Liberty 3.0R 2004
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18831

Postby 3RBtogo » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:39 am

Another vote of thanks this was really useful.

Just in case anyone else is thinking about it I ordered the bluetooth version which seems to be working well in very quick testing. it fits quite neatly in the cubby space and you don't even need to drill a hole for the cable as there is a gap when you tilt the cubby door back.

Cheers
3RBtogo

Car: Liberty 3.0RB

Postby datcho » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:25 am

any different for a manual?
datcho

Car: 05 3.0specB wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21127

Postby 3RBtogo » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:26 pm

datcho wrote:any different for a manual?

Other than the trim around the gearstick which you don't need to remove. It's the same. I found the piece of trim that surrounds the stick to pop out quite easily. there are two tabs at the back that seem to be the ones the mostly hold it in place. I used a screwdriver like the OP.
3RBtogo

Car: Liberty 3.0RB

Postby fuct » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:31 pm

Great info! thanks so much! :)
just one problem I seem to have a static sound not sure what the problem is but sounds like a ground issue :(
when I pause ipod/iphone and turn up the volume it gets worse and the static sounds stays on while playing music.
any other peeps have this problem?
fuct

Car: 05 Liberty 3.0r

Postby chanham » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:39 pm

How bad? I've got a tiny bit of static when no music is being played, but it very very minor I don't even notice it, just really picked up on it once.
chanham
formerly ciand06

Car: Subaru Liberty 3.0R 2004
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18831

Postby fuct » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:19 pm

ciand06 wrote:How bad?

Well it does start getting a bit bad when it's up to about 30 on the vol, I can hear it about %15 of the time.
here is a link to a small audio file that I just did of the sound.
http://uploading.com/files/get/8eec81df/20121012%2B170411.m4a
fuct

Car: 05 Liberty 3.0r

Next

Return to Reference material & Walkthroughs