HOW-TO: Install Reverse Parking Sensor [lots of pics]

Detailed descriptions of how to do things to your Liberty.

HOW-TO: Install Reverse Parking Sensor [lots of pics]

Postby LostyJai » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:13 am

Hey guys,

I also used a few pages from the service manual which helped me remove the rear bumper, it's here (https://dl.dropbox.com/u/11792766/forum/Parking%20Sensor/Bumper_Removal.pdf) if you want it.

I wanted to get some reverse parking sensors on my Liberty but I thought it costed too much ($300 fitted from Strathfield), so I ended up having a look on eBay and they only cost $30 (Strathfield was selling them for $200)!!! So I ended up getting it from eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/110804420684), picked the silver to match my car and decided to give it a go installing it myself.

Turned out to be quite easy and enjoyable experience, now I feel more comfortable modding the Liberty.

So I connected the sensor up when I bought them to test that it was working.

Seems like it worked fine, so I went over to my mate's place and he gave me a hand installing it. I'll try explain as much as I can remember.

Inside the boot you will see a plastic panel attached to the trimming, the top one you just turn with a flat head screwdriver and bottom one you press in and it should pop out. The right one you get it out by spinning it towards the middle of the car.

The inside trimming will have a few plastic bolts that you need to pull out, we used a flat head screwdriver to pry them out. Apologies for the blurry photo.

You will also need to remove the trimming across the back of the boot, that you can just pull off once the plastic bolts are out.

Once all the fittings have been removed, you can gently remove the inside trimming to get to the back of the rear light unit. Be careful of the hinge(?) for the bonnet, we had to bend the trimming a bit to get it under the hinge.

Having removed the trimming, you will need to unscrew the 4 bolts to pull the rear light unit out (the white cable ties that is attached to the bolts you can just pull off), then just disconnect the power and carefully pull it out.

The reverse parking sensor is meant to only turn on when the car is in reverse gear, therefore to achieve this we need to piggy-back the wires of the power cable provided off the reverse parking lights. Before I went any further I wanted to test that it everything would work as it should so I connected the power cable directly into the reverse light socket.

After connecting the wires I put the car into reverse and I could hear the sensors beeping so I knew it was working. I wasn't too keen on splicing the wires or soldering it, so I just shoved the cable into the socket as much as I could (it felt like it wasn't going to budge) and then just taped it up with electrical tape. (Yes I know it's quite ghetto, but it'll be easy to get to)

Finally we are ready to take the bumper off!!! Start with the pop screws where the rear light unit was sitting, just get a flat head screwdriver and pop them out.

Some more under the car near the exhuast.

There is one bolt on the inside of the boot, on both sides.

The last and most annoying bolt is hidden behind the plastic around the arc of the wheel. I forgot if we undid that plastic bolt, but either way you just carefully pull that plastic off to get to the last bolt.

It is a 10mm bolt and you need to use a spanner, lucky I have small fingers and could reach it. X marks the spot!

ImageImage

That should be all the bolts. Now pull out the sides of the bumper, and then carefully (try not to use too much force) and lift the bumper up which should pull it out and free it from the plastic teeth like locking mechanism (shrugs).

TADA! Bumper off! Give yourself a pat on the back and have a beer (or 6).

The next bit we kind of winged it and did the best we could with some cloth tape, plastic 30cm ruler and a texta. Marked it out, used the drillbit provided and drilled the sucker! Hopefully you will be more prepared!!!

I decided I want to put the LCD display on top of the dash (driver side) just behind the air vent. The tricky part is figuring out how to get the wire from the boot to the front and hide it, but it was actually quite easy once I figured out how to get the cable into the cabin.

What I used was a clothes hangar, made a little hook and poked it from the boot to the right hand passenger seat... as you can see in the picture.

I used the hook to pull the LCD display cable from the cabin into the boot from the passenger seat. When doing this be careful not to scratch that sexy leather!!!

Now that you've got the cable into the cabin, I would recommend you work at hiding the cable from the front then to the back of the car. Like I said I wanted to mount mine just behind the mini vent, and lucky for me that plastic was quite easy to take out which made it a lot easier to hide the wire.

Work your way towards the back of the car and hide the cable as best as you can. Shouldn't be too hard if you lift up the trimming (?) with a flat head screw driver and just push the cables in.

The side of the rear passenger seat is a plastic fitting which you will need to get the cable around it. If you pull the seat up a bit you should see it and then you can pull the cable around it.

The cable inside the cabin should be all tucked away nicely. With the boot it doesn't matter too much as the wires will behind the boot trimming, out of sight out of mind.

Now you will need to fit the bumper back on and pull all the wires through the holes of the rear head light unit.

Finally just tidy up all the cables and decide where you want to put the main unit. I put mine behind the rear light unit which fits nicely behind the trimming and is stuck on with the double sided tape provided.

Woohoo new reverse parking sensor! As my work colleague would say, "J.D!!!" (Job Done!)

View from the back:

View from the driver seat:

I hope this install will be useful for those that wish to the same on their car. Good luck and thank you for reading!
Last edited by LostyJai on Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:30 pm, edited 10 times in total.
LostyJai

Car: 2005 Liberty GT Premium

Re: Member Profile - LostyJai

Postby legacydan » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:45 am

nice write up!
legacydan

Car: Legacy b4 jdm import

Postby bigBADbenny » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:10 am

Awesome! Wishing there was a similar how-to for wagons, but this is a great start!
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby PinkK » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:37 pm

Awesome work Simon, looks great. Thank's for pointing me to your walk through.

Ben if someone doesn't beat me to it I can add (if that's ok with you Simon) to this how to on the differences for a wagon. I will be ordering the same unit soon.
PinkK
-stickered-

Car: MY08 Liberty GT Spec. B Wagon

Postby bates91 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:49 pm

damn thats a very-well done walkthrough, nice work!!
bates91
-stickered-

Car: BMW 135i
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15799

Postby Victripper » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:51 pm

Excellent write up... If I didn't have a reverse camera I would be looking in to it too..
Victripper

Car: MY12 Liberty Sports Premium Wg 2.5i

Postby THERB3 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:50 pm

Well done sounds you had fun through the whole process.
I might have a go when I have the chance.
MY05 Subaru Liberty Wagon 3.0RB Silver 6MT

Modifications:
19" Rays/Volk GT30 Wheels :: Hi Tech Mufflers :: HKS Panel Filter :: STi Front Lip :: 6000K HID Driving/Fog Lights :: LED Parkers/Licence/Map/Dome :: Brembo Package :: V-Tune :: Tein Flex Coilovers & EDFC Controller :: HKC Carbon Bonnet Scoop :: Hanabi Smoked LED Rear Tail Lights :: Eyelids :: Goodridge Braided Lines :: JDM Front Bar :: Corazon Grille :: Pioneer AVH-X8650BT / Alpine PDX5 Amp

Current Plans:
Whiteline SwayBars ::
THERB3
-stickered-

Car: MY05 Subaru Liberty 3.0RB Wagon

Postby THERB3 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:53 pm

Also how did you found the silver colour sensors up against your bumper ? Is the colour close enough
MY05 Subaru Liberty Wagon 3.0RB Silver 6MT

Modifications:
19" Rays/Volk GT30 Wheels :: Hi Tech Mufflers :: HKS Panel Filter :: STi Front Lip :: 6000K HID Driving/Fog Lights :: LED Parkers/Licence/Map/Dome :: Brembo Package :: V-Tune :: Tein Flex Coilovers & EDFC Controller :: HKC Carbon Bonnet Scoop :: Hanabi Smoked LED Rear Tail Lights :: Eyelids :: Goodridge Braided Lines :: JDM Front Bar :: Corazon Grille :: Pioneer AVH-X8650BT / Alpine PDX5 Amp

Current Plans:
Whiteline SwayBars ::
THERB3
-stickered-

Car: MY05 Subaru Liberty 3.0RB Wagon

Postby LostyJai » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:49 pm

PinkK wrote:Awesome work Simon, looks great. Thank's for pointing me to your walk through.

Ben if someone doesn't beat me to it I can add (if that's ok with you Simon) to this how to on the differences for a wagon. I will be ordering the same unit soon.

By all means, go for it Alex! We're just all here to learn from each other :)

THERB3 wrote:Also how did you found the silver colour sensors up against your bumper ? Is the colour close enough

Yeah it looked close enough to me man, but then again I'm a little bit colour blind :lol:

LostyJai

Car: 2005 Liberty GT Premium

Re: MY04 - Installation of Reverse Parking Sensor [lots of p

Postby Corsair » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:44 pm

Great write up!
I got this plan. It's called 'Save Ass'. And the way it works is this - I slip outta one of these windows and I run like a bastard!
Corsair
-stickered-

Car: MY09 Liberty 2.5i
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15709

Re: HOW-TO: Install Reverse Parking Sensor [lots of pics]

Postby Black_nail » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:35 am

Losty,
I can't thank you enough for this tutorial.
I bought the kit several months ago and just got around to installing it this week. Definitely couldn't have done it without your post, so thanks again.
Black_nail

Car: MY04 2.5 Auto Sedan.

Postby Jack_Keaka » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:22 am

Fantastic write up! Will be Definitely taking some hints from this when I do mine!
Boostaddict wrote:Holy shit.... I want a gen 3 again!!!! :D
Jack_Keaka

Car: Nissan Skyline R33 + R36 Passat
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18091

Postby BlackSTI » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:40 pm

BlackSTI wrote:Thanks for the guide! It came in very handy while installing some sensors. I grabbed the 'silver' colour for a face lift gen 4, but the colour doesn't match up quite as well as yours, looking at it now I should have gotten the iron grey. It is a little daunting to see the car with the whole rear bumper off (especially this one, because in a previous lift it looks like it has spent a lot of time on dirt and at first glance looked very rusty).

There were two slight differences with the facelift gen 4's, the clips below the tail lights are different, the bumper clips / attaches over the black support bars and does not use clips as such. Very straight forward to release once the lights are out. A picture of the black support beams below. The other difference is the two side 'fins' are in the way of where you positioned your sensors, so instead we raised them up (I searched on here for a picture of a facelift with sensors installed and matched). I should have got some better photos at the time.

The facelift black support beams:

Team Funeral.
Black 07 Tuned by Sti Sedan.
BlackSTI

Car: Subaru Liberty MY07 STI #7
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?t=23595

Postby lump_a_charcoal » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:06 am

I like Maroom.
Team White GenV GT Manual Wagon with fluffy dice

Mods (in order): Blacked out E-tag, drift spec fluffy dice, BC BR coilovers, strobe comfort flasher, de-badged tailgate + new GT badge, Prova Si knob, Tommy Kaira front grill + Gt badge, Cusco Strut brace (front), Prova blue mirrors, SSW Phoenix 20" black Stance SC-7 20" black, Nitto 35 series tyres, HKS filter, DAMD rear wing, Valenti smoked tail lights, LED rear reflectors, Headlights and others by Leo (hks180), Cusco rear sway bar, Full Invidia Q300 TBE, AVO TMIC, Summit Racing rear strut brace, KiDo Tune, front Cusco swaybar, upgraded LCA bushes, Valenti smoked centre tail light
Build thread here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22731
lump_a_charcoal

Car: 2013 Land Rover Defender 110

Postby Jack_Keaka » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:53 pm

its been nearly exactly a year since i said id do this, and i finally bought them haha, looks fairly straight forward.
i will post my results up when installed on my gen3!

should make parking at work much easier.
Boostaddict wrote:Holy shit.... I want a gen 3 again!!!! :D
Jack_Keaka

Car: Nissan Skyline R33 + R36 Passat
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18091

Next

Return to Reference material & Walkthroughs