Lifelong fuel filter

Detailed descriptions of how to do things to your Liberty.

Lifelong fuel filter

Postby Fluf » Fri May 25, 2012 6:37 pm

Heyall,

just did 100k service, was told the lifelong filter is stuffed, and needs replacing @ $200. Does this sound right? What else can I put in for less than that.

Ben
Fluf

Car: MY05 Liberty 3.0r Spec B

Re: Lifelong fuel filter

Postby Dropz » Fri May 25, 2012 7:39 pm

The fuel filter was given a service schedule in 06 to be replaced at 125000 with the timing belt. The filter and 4 orings are about $92 at cost, maybe 130 retail. Plus the labour is about 45 minutes.

$200 is a fair price at a dealership.
Built not bought, it's a way of life.
Dropz

Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17921

Postby 666 » Sat May 26, 2012 4:50 pm

Your right, in the 04-05 service handbook it states that the fuel filter is a non-servicable item, 2006 on it looks like they changed it.

I had my 100k done this month and my mechanic (who I trust) replace it for $120 plus labour. With all the volume of fuel a filter flows and the suspect quality of some fuel retailers replacement of the filter should be commonplace.

Rob.

Car: Spec.B

Postby cliffo3rb » Tue May 29, 2012 8:27 pm

Easy job to replace? I've had one sitting in the garage for a while.
cliffo3rb

Car: MY05 Liberty 3.0rb

Postby Dropz » Tue May 29, 2012 9:00 pm

Not if you don't know what you're doing. The pump housing is plastic and can easily be broken or damaged, if you take your time and use WD40 or similar to remove everything it helps. And at one point you may need a helper to get the pump and filter assembly apart. It can be a bit of a fiddly job.

It requires some care to be taken, first time you do one may take over an hour to work everything out and make sure its all back together correctly.

If you want I can type up a step by step process and you can follow it through :) But I don't have one here to take photos (obviously).
Dropz

Postby Fluf » Tue May 29, 2012 9:50 pm

Yeah I would be interested in taking a crack at it. As long as I won't stuff the engine if I put it back wrong. I'm assuming that the engine would just starve and cut out?? We all know what assumptions cause...big f*king repair bills that's what!
Fluf

Car: MY05 Liberty 3.0r Spec B

Postby Dropz » Tue May 29, 2012 10:15 pm

If a seal isn't placed correctly it won't get to pressure. No biggie :)

Parts needed: new filter and 4 orings (one is a bit thicker than the other 3)
Tools: 8mm socket and driver, phillips head screw driver, various small-medium flat blade screw drivers, WD40 ro similar lubricant, work cloths to clean parts/ prevent fuel spilling in the car. one assistant (optional)

It is best to have half a tank or under to minimise fuel loss.
Remove rear seat base by pulling up at the front on each side.
On the driver side pull back the underlay to expose a plate held in with 4 screws, remove the screws and plate.
Unplug the electrical connector, start the engine and rev it until it dies. Pop the fuel flap and take the cap off (This is to release any fuel pressure).
(It may be a good idea to wear some eye protection here as sometimes there can still be residual pressure)
Be very careful here not to snap or crack the fuel hose connectors) Remove the fuel lines by squeezing the tabs, push the hose into the connector then pull the hose back.
After all the hoses are removed tuck them away between the body and fuel tank.
Undo the 8mm nuts around the fuel pump assembly and remove the bracket.
Gently lift the assembly, twisting anticlockwise and leaning from side to side as required to remove the assembly from the tank.
When you have the assembly out unplug the two connectors at the top.
There are some locking tabs around the casing, you can GENTLY pop these off with some flat blade screwdrivers (you may need an assistant here so they don't snap back into place).
Once they are all undone remove the filter and pump from the casing, you will notice either in the cradle or on the base of the pump assembly is an oring, this needs to be replaced.
Remember to lubricate all new orings with fuel before installation
From here you will notice a small black wire leading to the bottom of the pump, this needs to be undone at the base by squeezing it and pulling out its tab.
If you then turn it upside down there are 2 hoses connected to the filter, remove the hoses by lubricating them and gently prying them off. there are 2 more orings here, the black hose connector uses the odd sized oring (thicker)
Push the filter assembly down and on one of the metal sliding posts there is a small circlip, gently remove it.
Unplug the fuel pump loom.
Pull the filter and pump from the cradle, there is a tab on either side of the pump, lever them off and push the pump out (it is a very tight fit)
There you will find the final oring to be replaced.
To reinstall the new filter do the reverse of above.

Fit a new oring to the fuel pump, lubricating the oring in fuel fit the pump to the fuel filter.
Refit the fuel pump loom.
Fit the filter and pump to the cradle and refit the circlip to the metal post.
Fit 2 new orings to the hose connectors, the black connector uses the odd sized thicker oring.
Refit the grounding cable to it's tab.
Fit the final oring to the pickup hose and refit the cradle assembly into the casing.
Gently maneuver the assembly back into the fuel tank, lining up the seal around the top.
Refit the metal bracket ensuring it is lined up correctly and fit the 8mm nuts.
Reconnect all the hoses and the fuel pump plug.
Before proceeding refit the fuel cap and turn the ignition to the ON position.
Wait for the start up sweep to finish and crank the engine until it starts.
Rev the car ensuring there is no surging or spluttering, if all is OK turn off the engine.
Refit the plate and seat underlay.
Refit the rear seat, put the back down first then push down on the front to lock it in place.

If the engine does not rev smoothly then an oring may not be seated correctly and you will need to remove it all and refit the orings.
Dropz

Postby 666 » Wed May 30, 2012 3:51 pm

Dropz thats a fantastic write up of the filter replacement process!

I'm sure many will benefit from it both now and in the future.

Rob.

Car: Spec.B

Postby SH30RB » Wed May 30, 2012 4:40 pm

this is great Karl :)

but i do think Ric should move this to "Reference materials & Walkthroughs" :wink:
i will help people in the long run!
TEAM FUNERAL HEARSE!
Only slightly modified, I swear!
SH30RB
-stickered-

Car: 05 Liberty 3.0R-B wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14766

Postby Dropz » Wed May 30, 2012 6:06 pm

Thanks guys :)

Tried to give as many details as I could. If anyone gives it a crack are they able to take some photos and put them up? Otherwise I will next time I do one at home (may be a while....) Can't get any photos at work as they'd shoot me dead if I was fiddling with my phone for that long! haha
Dropz

Postby SegR » Wed May 30, 2012 10:59 pm

Sounds like an arse of a job.

Dropz you suggested I replace my filter; (still deciding whether I will - car seems fine now that the assembly has been removed & reinstalled for some reason) if there were a problem with it due to age is it likely that problem would be visible on inspection?

Also from MY06 was there a change to the pump or fuel filter design to necessitate the 125,000km replacement or did Subaru just realise the shortcomings of not replacing it and update the procedure? (hence is relevant to MY05 and others also)
Team Beards
Beards Don't Kill People, People With Beards Kill People.
SegR

Car: MY05 3.0R sedan, black
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14605

Postby Dropz » Wed May 30, 2012 11:06 pm

The filter is secured inside a plastic casing, so I don't see how your mechanic could have checked the filter element. Maybe they just checked for damage or a split seal?

There are no changes from 05-06, Subaru just realised a lifelong filter doesn't exist, it's purpose is to get dirty and be replaced (yet they stupidly still use a lifelong ATF filter from 06 onwards).

That is another thing, for anyone wishing to change their ATF filter on an 06-09 Libert it is a screw type filter, same as the older Subarus but it is located in the lefthand front guard, you can get to it if you remove the battery.
Dropz

Postby Ric » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:22 pm

SH30RB wrote:...
but i do think Ric should move this to "Reference materials & Walkthroughs" :wink:
i will help people in the long run!

Done.
Took a while, because no-one mentioned it to me, and I only just noticed it.
Ric
Site Admin

Car: OLD: MY06 3RB Wagon NEW: MY21 Outbck
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12

Return to Reference material & Walkthroughs