How To Tint Your Tail Lights

Detailed descriptions of how to do things to your Liberty.

Re: How To Tint Your Tail Lights

Postby jakey » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:37 am

Possible that you're using ACTUAL window tint and not just the vinyl overlay stuff that I used?

I used something similar to this:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12-x-394-Bla ... 14b&_uhb=1
-Jakey-UBARU
jakey

Car: UBARU - 2005 MY06 3.0R
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15489

How To Tint Your Tail Lights

Postby tony_m » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:47 am

Yeah it's proper tint. For car windows and houses. Looks the same as Corsair's. I thought that was the go- seeing as you can pick your %vlt.

That vinyl looks thicker, like in all the videos on YouTube. Easy as to apply?
tony_m

Car: 2008 Heritage Luxury Edition
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=23965

Postby jakey » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:42 am

tony_m wrote:Yeah it's proper tint. For car windows and houses. Looks the same as Corsair's. I thought that was the go- seeing as you can pick your %vlt.

That vinyl looks thicker, like in all the videos on YouTube. Easy as to apply?

Sounds easier than the trouble you are having. It also stretches easily. Just go slow and if you can get a spare pair of hands it won't hurt (holding the tint, your squeegee and a heat gun can get tricky with the two hands we have :P )
-Jakey-UBARU
jakey

Postby tony_m » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:28 pm

Ok - Update! So you all don't think I'm retarded. Finally got some different tint in the mail, from China, and got both my lights done in about 10 mins flat each. I can't believe how much time I spent struggling with that other shit.

Couple of pics to clear my name!! Haha :) Looks dark in the garage, but it's quite light during the day outside. Happy medium.

tony_m

Postby jakey » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:14 am

tony_m wrote:Ok - Update! So you all don't think I'm retarded. Finally got some different tint in the mail, from China, and got both my lights done in about 10 mins flat each. I can't believe how much time I spent struggling with that other shit.

Couple of pics to clear my name!! Haha :) Looks dark in the garage, but it's quite light during the day outside. Happy medium.

Nice!

I would suggest trying to cut out the clear part of it, looks really nice then. I'm never happy when the clear part is smoked.

Well done any how.
-Jakey-UBARU
jakey

Postby TheFirstEskimo » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:14 pm

tony_m wrote:Ok - Update! So you all don't think I'm retarded. Finally got some different tint in the mail, from China, and got both my lights done in about 10 mins flat each. I can't believe how much time I spent struggling with that other shit.

Antony,

Do you have a link to the ebay store where you got your tint?
TheFirstEskimo

Car: MY07 Liberty GT Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21725

Postby tony_m » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:33 am

Sure - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/251116157995?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649. $3.99, w. free postage, laughing!
That's the exact roll I bought. It's not as dark as Corsair's, but I'm happy with it - no unwanted attention, lights still very visible when illuminated.
I think they have a few different shades anyway. If i remember correctly, it took about 4 or 5 weeks to arrive :shock: .... Only thing that sucks about ordering from China is that wait!
tony_m

Postby TheMightyGonzo » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:37 am

Has anyone had any success trying to tint the lights on a wagon?
It seems like the shape of it would make it pretty difficult, or is there a way to pre shape it a bit?
TheMightyGonzo

Car: MY06 3.0R Spec B Wagon

Postby TheFirstEskimo » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:50 am

I tried and failed. Maybe I didnt have the patience but seemed near impossible to get it 100%. Tinted LED's might be a better (but more expensive) alternative. Good luck!
TheFirstEskimo

Car: MY07 Liberty GT Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21725

Postby TheMightyGonzo » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:02 pm

I tried and failed. Maybe I didnt have the patience but seemed near impossible to get it 100%. Tinted LED's might be a better (but more expensive) alternative. Good luck!

Yeah, I'm sadly not loaded enough to just go and buy new lights. I'll give it a go with the ebay vinyl tint mentioned above and post up some progress pics. Even if I cock it up at least it'll show people what not to do. :)
TheMightyGonzo

Car: MY06 3.0R Spec B Wagon

Postby KelvinTaylor88 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:40 pm

Sorry to bring up an old thread but has anyone found their tint wrap to bubble up over time?
I applied the wrap about a month ago (same stuff Corsair got from ebay I believe) and got it on without any creases using the heat and stretch trick but recently I noticed on my lights a ton of creases have appeared.
Could weather cause this? A bad method of application maybe?
I really like the look and would like to keep it (without the streaks obviously),
2006 Subaru Liberty 3.0R Spec B Urban Grey Metallic
Tuned, Raptor Headers, K2 Gear Spec Neo Catback, HKS ES Premium Ti Limited Mufflers, Shockworks Coilovers, Rays 57 Pro w/ Titanium Lip, Advan AD08R, JDM Front End w/ Zerosports Front Lip, Corazon Grille, Deltaspeed Side Skirts, Custom Headlights, Stickered, and more...

WTB: Diffuser, Subaru Badge, Brembos?
KelvinTaylor88

Car: MY06 Liberty Spec-B Sedan
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=26710

Postby renan_don18 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:45 am

KelvinTaylor88 wrote:Sorry to bring up an old thread but has anyone found their tint wrap to bubble up over time?
I applied the wrap about a month ago (same stuff Corsair got from ebay I believe) and got it on without any creases using the heat and stretch trick but recently I noticed on my lights a ton of creases have appeared.
I really like the look and would like to keep it (without the streaks obviously),

I'm just guessing maybe too much soapy water was used or too strong a soap/detergent. It might go away overtime depending how bad it is. When I did mine I had a few small bubbles so I applied heat and used a pin and made a very tiny hole where the bubble is and kept trying to smooth it all over (might not be ideal but worked for me)
renan_don18

Car: Subaru Liberty 2.5i
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=25830

Postby KelvinTaylor88 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:26 pm

renan_don18 wrote:
KelvinTaylor88 wrote:Sorry to bring up an old thread but has anyone found their tint wrap to bubble up over time?

I'm just guessing maybe too much soapy water was used or too strong a soap/detergent. It might go away overtime depending how bad it is. When I did mine I had a few small bubbles so I applied heat and used a pin and made a very tiny hole where the bubble is and kept trying to smooth it all over (might not be ideal but worked for me)

Oh so too much soapy water during application can cause it to bubble over time?
I'll have to find a way to apply it without using too much soapy water, I'm terrible with anything that requires finesse haha :oops:
Tuned, Raptor Headers, K2 Gear Spec Neo Catback, HKS ES Premium Ti Limited Mufflers, Shockworks Coilovers, Rays 57 Pro w/ Titanium Lip, Advan AD08R, JDM Front End w/ Zerosports Front Lip, Corazon Grille, Deltaspeed Side Skirts, Custom Headlights, Stickered, and more...

KelvinTaylor88

Postby renan_don18 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:38 pm

KelvinTaylor88 wrote:
renan_don18 wrote:

Oh so too much soapy water during application can cause it to bubble over time?
I'll have to find a way to apply it without using too much soapy water, I'm terrible with anything that requires finesse haha :oops:

Its pretty tricky aye, i stuffed it up first go coz i didnt use enough! It's certainly just trial and error, lucky the tint is cheap
renan_don18

Car: Subaru Liberty 2.5i
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=25830

Postby KelvinTaylor88 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:24 am

renan_don18 wrote:Its pretty tricky aye, i stuffed it up first go coz i didnt use enough! It's certainly just trial and error, lucky the tint is cheap

Yeah I'm trying to find some tint wrap locally because whilst I like the shade and price of the ebay stuff it took nearly a month to get to me.
I guess it is that cheap that I could buy a kilometre of the stuff :D

KelvinTaylor88

PreviousNext

Return to Reference material & Walkthroughs