How To Tint Your Tail Lights

Detailed descriptions of how to do things to your Liberty.

Postby Corsair » Wed May 23, 2012 12:22 am

I recently smoked my tail lights and although there is more than one way, I chose the (ostensibly) non permanent way which is to use tint film rather than a spray such as the VHT Nightshades products. Most reputable professional tinters will refuse to do this due to legality issues and it's easier and cheaper to get the film elsewhere and do it yourself.
<Note: I ain't endorsing/recommending or taking any responsibility for what you do to your car. Smoking your lights much like smoking tobacco is a personal choice and I merely endorse freedom and the right to choose).

Anywho. You'll need the following: tint film, scissors, spray bottle (filled with a mix of water and soap), a credit card/squeegee, a microfibre towel, a scapel/stanley knife and a heat gun. Most of which can be seen below.
I also recommend a stool as squatting at your lights for hours at a time is literally a pain in the ass.
*************************************************************************************

PREPARATION:
Clean your lights. Hose 'em down, soap 'em up, rub 'em with alcohol.

ONE:
Spray the light with your water bottle and peel the protective layer from your tint film before adding it to the light.

TWO:
Scrape over the film using your credit card wrapped in the microfibre towel (to avoid scratching the tint) from the centre of the light out towards the edges to get it to stick a little. Then, trim roughly around the tint film to make it easier to work on further.

THREE:
Start heating the film and smooth it more. Again, work from the centre of the light out towards the edges.
<No picture here. Sorry>.

FOUR:
The film should have stuck a bit by now and conformed to the contours of the light. Get out your scapel/knife and trim around the edges. Don't worry about leaving a little extra around the sides as this will be folded over the edges of the light.

FIVE:
Heat some more. Continue smoothing the film from the centre to the edges. Then, heat the edges and use the card to push the film in over the top, under the bottom and around the sides of the lights.

SIX:
Stand back and take a look and get rid of small air bubbles using a pin. The hardest part to get the film to stick to is the chrome part, so if you have air bubbles on the glass don't worry. They can be removed with a pin or will hopefully disappear from sun and use of the lights.

Even with tint, your lights should still emit enough light that people know not to run up the back of you.
I have tested this repeatedly by using Subaru's patented anti tail-gate feature (ie. the switch on the steering column) and people still back off.

But when it gets dark and you're parked it's more stealth.

And in daytime, the red is less pronounced.

Anywho, thanks for reading and good luck if you wish to try it. Happy to answer questions or learn how to do it better. :D

<EDITED ONCE: For grammar reasons>
Last edited by Corsair on Wed May 23, 2012 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
I got this plan. It's called 'Save Ass'. And the way it works is this - I slip outta one of these windows and I run like a bastard!
Corsair
-stickered-

Car: MY09 Liberty 2.5i
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15709

Re: How To Tint Your Tail Lights

Postby mihai » Wed May 23, 2012 12:45 am

Good write up. Should be in the reference section. Maybe PM Ric and ask him to move it there?

What % tint is that? It looks dark as! Or maybe its just the contrast of the tint on the white car that makes them look darker.
[New: MY11 FPV F6 | Winter White | Pioneer DEX-P99RS | Alpine PDX-F6 | Alpine PDX-M12 | JL Audio 12W7-AE ]
[Old: MY07 2.0R | Urban Grey | 5 MT | 6000k HID | LED | Alpine IVA-W502E | Alpine PDX1.1000 | Alpine PDX4.150 | JL Audio 12W7v3 | Focal KRX2 ]
mihai

Car: MY07 Liberty 2.0R + MY11 FPV F6

Postby Corsair » Wed May 23, 2012 12:57 am

Thank you. Yeah, it's pretty dark tint. I'm not totally sure what percentage it is though. Probably around 25-30% at a guess. The original tint I was going to use was much lighter, but I chose to go darker to better balance my mods. Thanks for the idea, I'll PM Ric to move it.
I got this plan. It's called 'Save Ass'. And the way it works is this - I slip outta one of these windows and I run like a bastard!
Corsair
-stickered-

Postby Sh4wry » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:45 am

Nice work I'm thinking of doing this to my wagon.

I'll see if I can get my tinted to do it, he is dodgy already so should have dramas.
Sh4wry
-stickered-

Car: 07 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17136

Postby Fourlex » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:54 pm

Currently doing it now, so hard! Impossible to get the tint perfectly shaped as the light is an awkward shape. Ahh
One of the youngens, so play nice.
Fourlex

Car: 07 2.5i Sedan
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19407

Postby Fourlex » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:15 pm

Was using a old hair dryer though so that's probably why, ill give it another crack when I get a heat gun.
Fourlex

Postby Black_nail » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:33 am

Is a hairdryer no good for this?

Looks awesome! - definitely want to do this to my MY04 sedan..
Where would i find the tint? ebay?
Black_nail

Car: MY04 2.5 Auto Sedan.

Postby zch91 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:38 am

Heat gun is always better. I got an Ozito one from Bunnings with 3yr replacement warranty for $30.
zch91
-stickered-

Car: MY04 GT Premium - Silver 5EAT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15397

Postby Fourlex » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:39 am

tried about 100 times on my lib, same as the tutorial, the awkward shape of the light wouldn't allow it to stick to the light without having a huge amount of bubbles, so congrats to corsair for his patients and great job.
Fourlex

Postby tony_m » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:10 pm

Hi guys,

Corsair - Sensational write up! I realised (and am surprised actually) that no one has posted on this for 7 months; but I'll be tackling this as soon as I find out a few things -

Anyone have an idea of insurance/legality problems regarding this mod? I am in QLD, with AAMI (Rating 1 for Life), but knowing what insurance companies are like... :lol:

Surely if the lights are still clearly visible while illuminated then there should be no issues? But get a cop on a bad day… lol Or try to make a claim if someone rear-ends me…

Any thoughts let me know!!

Cheers. Tony
tony_m

Car: 2008 Heritage Luxury Edition
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=23965

Postby Corsair » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:05 pm

Thanks for the kind words Tony. :D

I wondered the same thing prior to doing this. Since the installation though, I have had driven past and been followed by numerous police cars and (so far/fingers crossed/knock on wood), no problems. If you're worried, just flick the switch on the steering column and the lights are on anyway which would reduce the liklihood of anyone asking questions.

If you got in an accident, you'd just pull them off prior to any assessment and until that day (which hopefully never comes) you can enjoy this...

Corsair
-stickered-

Postby tony_m » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:12 pm

Well I tried, and like others, failed. Have enough tint for maybe 4 more attempts. This is the best application I got..

Gave up trying to remove the creases. Once they happen its all over. I watched a couple of videos on YouTube but it seems like they all have a really thick, stretchable tint. And the concave(?) shape of our lights is a hassle.

Don't know how you did it mate, but kudos!
tony_m

Postby jakey » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:39 pm

tony_m wrote:Well I tried, and like others, failed. Have enough tint for maybe 4 more attempts. This is the best application I got..

Gave up trying to remove the creases. Once they happen its all over. I watched a couple of videos on YouTube but it seems like they all have a really thick, stretchable tint. And the concave(?) shape of our lights is a hassle.

Don't know how you did it mate, but kudos!

!!! DID you use a heat gun?

It seems like you're not getting the creases out very well/ at all. When you heat it, just heat it a little section at a time and stretch it as you go. It should stretch a bit once its heated.
-Jakey-UBARU
jakey

Car: UBARU - 2005 MY06 3.0R
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15489

Postby tony_m » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:41 pm

Yeah I've got a heat gun. I couldn't really stretch it, either too scared to melt the tint or light, or I've just got crap tint. It's from protinting.com.au though...

Anyway when I tried stretching it, I don't know it just didn't work. The side of the light was no hassle. 1/3 of it went perfectly- I thought I was onto something!! Just turns to shite at the back closest too the boot, where it curves. Never applied anything similar before so amateur aspect in full swing.

I'm thinking for next try ill see how a perfectly cut template goes...?
Last edited by tony_m on Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tony_m

Postby tony_m » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:44 pm

Oh and that pic was after an hour or so, got the sh!ts with the bigger air bubbles and crinkles from previous attempts so just heated it up and went all out with the credit card/microfibre in a last ditch effort. Knew it wouldn't work and it didn't.
tony_m

Next

Return to Reference material & Walkthroughs