How to install a new Corazon Grille

Detailed descriptions of how to do things to your Liberty.

How to install a new Corazon Grille

Postby Corsair » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:13 pm

Just in case anyone else wants or needs it, and also for my own satisfaction here's a step-by-step for the Corazon.
Thanks to Michael for the sourcing, question answering and prompt delivery. Thanks to Kieran, Serge, Ain and J for their tips and guidance.

Grille comes like this...
Open the box and you find these...
The front...
And back...
Personal details (a'la paint code/model etc...)
You'll need the following tools:
The front end looks like this:

FIRST: Poke the back of the four clip holes seen below with a flat head screw driver (as per Kieran's photo, behind the four square looking things)
THEN: Use the same flat head screw driver to poke out the two black tappet like screws either side of the grille. These are actually really easy to get out...Just lever them and they pull out.
THEN: The grille pops out with some forward pulling. As mentioned previously there is a groove that runs underneath the grill holding it in place. Pull forward gently, while at the same time sliding it from side to side.
Spray paint the centre column latch thing with black spray paint. It'll be your car's colour and if that is a light colour it will otherwise stick out behind the grille.
It should now look like this...
The stock grille has four brackets attached to it. Pull the two middle ones from the stock one and put them back on the car. They will slot back into two obvious holes in the middle. Then after dry fitting the grille, drill a hole into each of these two brackets.
NEXT: Wipe out the car and the fibreglass grille with a little isopropyl alcohol (I used metholated spirits). You'll probably have to use a lot on the car and I recommend using a little only on the grille. This is to get a good bond as mentioned by J. You are provided with some 3M style tape, apply this to the grille after that.
This tape was the hardest part of the whole installation. The instruction manual labours the point that the tape should not be flush with the edge of the grille, but should not be more than 1mm from the edge. If it's more than 1mm it will not stick. If it's too close the edge, it'll show. If you mess it up, it won't stick twice. So try to get it as close as you can to the edge without being flush. If you stuff it up, use any remaining tape on the side and loop any stuffed up parts and stick them in the middle of the grille. Then fit it...
Above, you will see the grille fitted with the two black tappet-style screws in and the two holes in the middle of the grille aligned with the OEM grille brackets underneath.
THEN: Screw in the two screws provided to the centre holes and into the OEM brackets...
Slam the bonnet and check your work...
Stand back and admire...
Oh, yeah...

[Note from Ric. This post was orginally part of another topic at viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15527 ]
I got this plan. It's called 'Save Ass'. And the way it works is this - I slip outta one of these windows and I run like a bastard!
Corsair
-stickered-

Car: MY09 Liberty 2.5i
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15709

Re: Install a New Grille?

Postby hamish_023 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:08 pm

Looks great! Needs a front lip I think
hamish_023

Car: Black Liberty GT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10013

Postby Kekotic » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:17 pm

Nice work P-diddy.
Although it's a little strange that a $500 grille couldn't be designed to fit with the stock clips without modification. At least it's nothing too major.
Kekotic
-stickered-

Car: MY07 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13066

Postby Corsair » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:19 pm

Thanks Hamish. I concur. I think a lip should tie in all the black from the wheels to the windows. I have one under my couch and will try and fit it soon.
Last edited by Corsair on Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I got this plan. It's called 'Save Ass'. And the way it works is this - I slip outta one of these windows and I run like a bastard!
Corsair
-stickered-

Postby garthos » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:21 pm

Awesome step by step guide - Thanks in advance, this is next on my list and this guide will be very useful!!

Now I guess its time to update your Avatar pic :D
garthos
-stickered-

Car: MY10 GT Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21375&start=30

Postby Corsair » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:23 pm

chaotic2050 wrote:Nice work P-diddy.
Although it's a little strange that a $500 grille couldn't be designed to fit with the stock clips without modification. At least it's nothing too major.

'P-diddy' Haha! Mate of mine calls me P-Funk also.

Yeh. Didn't expect to have to be drilling stuff, but it fits and and I can take those clips out and put 'em back on the stock grille if necessary. The instructions imply that a professional fit is preferred, so I guess they just really want it stuck on, which it now is hopefully.
Corsair
-stickered-

Postby Corsair » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:25 pm

garthos wrote:Awesome step by step guide - Thanks in advance, this is next on my list and this guide will be very useful!!

Now I guess its time to update your Avatar pic :D

Thanks Garthos. I am very glad if this helps someone. :D I'll clean the car next weekend and take some new photos hopefully!
Corsair
-stickered-

Postby Kekotic » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:30 pm

Corsair wrote:Thanks Garthos. I am very glad if this helps someone. :D I'll clean the car next weekend and take some new photos hopefully!

Thank fuck for that.
Looks like you have taken your car on an offroading trip during a flood in those pictures you put up, I almost vomited at how dirty it is.
Kekotic
-stickered-

Car: MY07 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13066

Postby champ » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:09 am

chaotic2050 wrote:
Corsair wrote:Thanks Garthos. I am very glad if this helps someone. :D I'll clean the car next weekend and take some new photos hopefully!

Thank fuck for that.
Looks like you have taken your car on an offroading trip during a flood in those pictures you put up, I almost vomited at how dirty it is.

:lol: sarcasm at its best! Made me scroll up to look again.
champ
-stickered-

Car: MY07 GT Spec.B Tuned by STi 6MT OBP

Re: Install a New Grille? (With Pictures)

Postby sedstrSTI » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:51 pm

looks good, great write up!
2005 2.5i & 2007 GTB STI
Real men drive manual.
sedstrSTI
formerly sedstr

Car: 07 GTB STI & MY05 2.5i

Return to Reference material & Walkthroughs