Subaru Transponder Chips Information

Detailed descriptions of how to do things to your Liberty.

Re: Subaru Transponder Chips Information

Postby ix9 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:16 pm

Not sure if this helps anyone - I have an MY05 SpecB.

This is my key.

The small rectangular bit with a bit that looks like its chopped off is the transponder.

Mine reads; M4823

ix9

Car: Liberty

Postby Ric » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:33 am

Jubaeg wrote:This is very interesting thanks. I recently purchased a MY04GT and it only came with one key, so I'm going to buy this item from ebay as it is only a bit over $43 with shipping and is from Brisbane.

Presumably a competent lock smith will have the capability of programming the transponder for me and I'd imagine that isn't going to cost more than $20-30 so I should be well ahead of having to pay $375 for an official Subaru key.

Don't believe what the seller says about a locksmith programming it. It is the CAR which needs to be programmed to accept the transpoder.
From the first post...
After much research, the chip I needed was a 4D-62, found one on Ebay in Hong Kong. $15 including postage, fitted it this morning and took the key to Subaru who have now re-programmed it for free.

(I think he's confused about what was reprogrammed. It was the BIU in the car, not the transponder in the key.)
That has to be done by a Subaru dealer. That won't all necessarily do it for free.
Ric
Site Admin

Car: OLD: MY06 3RB Wagon NEW: MY21 Outbck
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12

Postby Jubaeg » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:06 am

Thanks for pointing that out Ric.

Yes after a bit of dialogue with the ebay seller, I ditched that idea. I contacted my local Mr Minute and they can do a key minus the buttons for about $165-170. They said that they wouldn't trust anything bought from ebay as they couldn't guarantee the quality of the metal.

I haven't done this yet, but will do so at some point as I don't really mind about not having the buttons as it would just be for the spare key...
Jubaeg

Car: Liberty MY04 GT wagon semi-auto

Postby Ric » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:48 am

Jubaeg wrote:Thanks for pointing that out Ric.

Yes after a bit of dialogue with the ebay seller, I ditched that idea. I contacted my local Mr Minute and they can do a key minus the buttons for about $165-170. They said that they wouldn't trust anything bought from ebay as they couldn't guarantee the quality of the metal.

I haven't done this yet, but will do so at some point as I don't really mind about not having the buttons as it would just be for the spare key...

If they do a key only, with no transponder, then it will only be good for opening the doors, it will NOT start the engine!
Ric
Site Admin

Car: OLD: MY06 3RB Wagon NEW: MY21 Outbck
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12

Postby Jubaeg » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:55 am

No its ok - they do the key and the transponder just not the buttons. They did say that I could have a separate fob for the buttons but I think I can live with the inconvenience!
Jubaeg

Car: Liberty MY04 GT wagon semi-auto

Postby HoFF » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:26 pm

i finally got a chance to get my new chip programmed today and it worked a treat for our Forester.

So thanks for the info and the ebay link.

cheers
HoFF
-stickered-

Car: MY06 3RB Liberty Wagon 6MT MY09 Foz
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13577&start=255

Previous

Return to Reference material & Walkthroughs