DIY: Repair central locking actuator

Detailed descriptions of how to do things to your Liberty.

DIY: Repair central locking actuator

Postby teK-- » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:09 pm

These tend to go a bit dodgy after a while especially the 5+ year mark. First the door snib becomes really slow to lock/unlock, makes noises, or may not operate at all in either direction.

New actuator is around $200.00+ from dealer it is combined with the doorlock mechanism. It is a sealed, non serviceable assembly.

After reading of someone on LGT opening up his to find the electric motor brushes contaminated with excess grease, I had a go at mine today. What the hell I have nothing to lose but $200.00+ which I would otherwise need to spend anyway ;).

1. Remove door inner panel (numerous DIY all over the net, look it up if you don't know how.

2. Door lock assembly is held on by 3 bolts where the catch is. Undo them and also the locking cable which goes to external door handle.

3. Prise back the big plastic casing, there are 3 anchors you need to unpick, it then just comes off.

4. Undo this one screw then the whole motor casing comes off; manouvre it out carefully.

5. Case is in two halves, separate carefully using a craft knife or similar blade, it comes apart quite easily with moderate pressure.

6. Motor comes out, probably all oily as hell like mine was.

7. Unpick the two metal tabs then open the motor housing. Careful separating this as the magnetic brush parts are fragile. See all the black gunk which is not meant to be there.

8. Clean the shaft around the coils, then with the brush part (white end cap with contacts inside). I sprayed the white end cap part with engine degreaser, gave it a good rinse with water then used hairdryer. It is too fragile to clean by other means.

9. Carefully put motor back together, again paying close care to the brush contacts which must slip over the coils shaft. I used some long
kebab skewers to get them back on whilst closing up the motor. The tabs can be bent back with a mallet and punch or screwdriver.

10. Clean excess grease out of the motor casing, Mine had heaps, especially around where the worm gear was located. Reinstall motor to casing, then connect it up in the car to ensure you did it properly.

11. Clean two mating surfaces of plastic casing carefully then superglue back together. I used vice clamps to hold it tight whilst it cured.

UPDATE: Superglue came apart, so I have used 2 part epoxy glue this time instead.
12. Reassemble in reverse order, refit into car. Test before refitting door inner panel.

Took me about an hour, now the lock functions as like new :D
Attachments
Step 3.jpg
Step 3.jpg (189.02 KiB) Viewed 213653 times
Step 4.jpg
Step 4.jpg (154.62 KiB) Viewed 213653 times
Step 5, 10, 11.jpg
Step 5, 10, 11.jpg (193.39 KiB) Viewed 213653 times
Step 7.jpg
Step 7.jpg (94.53 KiB) Viewed 213653 times
Step 8.jpg
Step 8.jpg (138.38 KiB) Viewed 213653 times
Last edited by teK-- on Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MY04 2.5i Safety 5MT Sedan "Project Locomotive"
..: JDM Subaru-AVO-Whiteline-Bilstein-Swift Springs-Cusco-Rallitek-GT Brakes-Remsa-K4RT30Y-Blitz-Philips-Défi-STI-Sabelt-Redline-Alpine-Polk Audio-Kenwood-Dynamat :..
teK--
-stickered-

Re: Repair central locking actuator

Postby 04GTLIB » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:57 am

Awesome walk-through Jim. :good:

Cheers,
Rusty.
19" Koya wheels - STI front lip - STI Scuff Plates - STI Shift Knob - STI Pedal Set - Blitz A/C filter - Battery and ABS covers - Hyperflow TMIC - Auto Meter boost gauge and fabricated pod - EXOTIC EXHAUST ceramic coated dump pipe, hi flow cat, 3" centre pipe and fabricated rear mufflers - BC Racing Coil Overs - Phat lower control arm bushes - Whiteline rear camber bushes - Rallitek end links - Valenti LED tail lights - DBA Slotted rotors - QFM pads - Goodridge Brake Lines.
Coming soon - Spec B front - Kinugawa turbo upgrade
04GTLIB

Car: MY04 GT Liberty Wagon

Re: DIY: Repair central locking actuator

Postby Kevlar GT » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:38 pm

Jim, I was just wondering if Cusco make these?

:P

Nice write up mate, good on you for taking the time to sort out some very clear pictures too.
Kevlar GT

Car: 04 GT Wagon

Postby bugli » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:45 pm

I thought they were cotton buds? :P

Awesome write up Jim :)
bugli
-stickered-

Car: MY03 RX

Postby teK-- » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:10 pm

Hehe Cusco do make a replacement motor, but the blue goodness is hidden inside the door so no one knows but you ;)
MY04 2.5i Safety 5MT Sedan "Project Locomotive"
..: JDM Subaru-AVO-Whiteline-Bilstein-Swift Springs-Cusco-Rallitek-GT Brakes-Remsa-K4RT30Y-Blitz-Philips-Défi-STI-Sabelt-Redline-Alpine-Polk Audio-Kenwood-Dynamat :..
teK--
-stickered-

Postby Kekotic » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:11 pm

teK-- wrote:Hehe Cusco do make a replacement motor, but the blue goodness is hidden inside the door so no one knows but you ;)

Isn't that how it works with all Cusco parts 8)
Kekotic
-stickered-

Car: MY07 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13066

Postby wixy » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:25 pm

I just want to give a massive thumbs up to teK, I followed this guide today and my central locking works perfectly now!

p.s. up yours Subaru for refusing to fix this issue under warranty.
wixy

Postby bombers18 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:29 am

Fantastic walkthrough. well detailed and photos are a great help.
liberty owner 1 - subaru nil
thanks for the good work
bombers18

Car: MY06 3.0R-B 6MT Wagon

Postby Pedro » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:59 am

Thanks Tek,
Really easy to follow instructions the Pictures were great. I was a bit apprehensive at first but your guide made it easy. For anyone wanting to know how to remove the trim I used this PDF, device works great no more worrying if the door is locked properly.

http://iagresearch.com.au/index.php?opt ... iew&gid=44
Pedro

Postby tzortst » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:05 pm

You wouldn't happened to know what the model of the motor is? Thinking of buying a new motor to replace the current one as having the same issue

or better yet, know where you can source the motor from?
tzortst

Car: MY05 Safety Pack 2.5i

Postby libmose » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:32 pm

These guys (in America) do it for US$62.17 a door

https://www.subarupartsdepot.com/oem-subaru-parts.html

Been thinking about ordering... group buy????
libmose

Car: '05 Liberty GT Wagon

Postby oztoma » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:48 am

+1 thanks teK.

Just fixed a tempremantal rear right door.

For those interested, there's some follow up to teK's walkthrough by chrisay which involves an alternative method which replaces the motor casing and brushes here:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/door-lock-actuator-problems-136038p2.html

I went down that path and can confirm it's working well. I chose this over just cleaning the grease, as the new casing means new brushes that haven't been exposed/worn from excess grease.

The replacement part:
~ $12 delivered from the US.
Generic rebrand of Mabuchi FC-280PC from ebay seller "dluxcars".
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150460356405&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Keep in mind, this part isn't a direct replacement motor - you clean and reuse the old armature/shaft/commutator assembly.
nom nom nom nom
oztoma

Car: Black 05 Liberty R-B

Postby norbs » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:27 pm

I did the same procedure tonight and it was a snap.

I did one thing different however. I could not pull apart the little motor no matter how much I picked at the little tabs. So, instead I sprayed a whole heap of degreaser in the little holes and thoroughly rinsed it in water. I then dried it with a hair dryer then sprayed a little CRC in the little holes. I could tell that the shaft was spinning alot freer. Re-assembled as per rest of the guide.

Took me about 1.5hrs and door is working perfectly. Next door will take me an hour I reckon. Oh, and for those who need a guide on how to remove door liner:-

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/door-panel-removal-sound-deadening-install-pics-20069.html?t=20069&highlight=door+panel+removal

Thanks for the walkthrough !!!
'05 Lib GT with a few mods :-)
norbs

Postby SubbyRS » Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:50 pm

Great write-up, my right rear door has been getting worse for the last year or so. Decided to tackle this today and found the same amount of black gunk in my motor, as shown in the pics above!

One point to note, and maybe it was just me being full of the flu, but make sure you reassemble the white plastic actuator arm back in it's holes/slots before you screw the motor back on. In my flu-induced "fuggy" state, I forgot to do this properly and, while the motor works and the cable moves, it won't lock/unlock. Fortunately I found it before I'd put the door trim back on so it was only an extra 10mins fluffing around.

Welcome back "snappy" locks :)
1991 Legacy RS *SOLD*
1993 Celica ST202 *last man standing*
2004 Outback 3.0R *SOLD*
2010 VW Caddy "Maxi" TDi/DSG *SOLD*
SubbyRS

Car: Ford Falcon FG Ute

Postby Dropz » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:32 pm

I too haven't been able to get the motor itself apart so I spray brake cleaner in there and blow it out with compressed air.
Built not bought, it's a way of life.
Dropz

Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17921

Next

Return to Reference material & Walkthroughs