DIY: Repair central locking actuator

Detailed descriptions of how to do things to your Liberty.

Re: DIY: Repair central locking actuator

Postby Curley5959 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:30 pm

Repaired 2 of these a while ago now, one on my Liberty - Right Rear, and one on an Outback - Right Rear.

Both of the cases were glued back together with araldite. The force of the motor is enough to crack it back open. Lasted one day on my LIberty, and a few months on the Outback, but nevertheless, it still cracked back open, causing the lock to stop working and a terrible graunching/grinding sound from the motor.

The fix was to put a bolt through the center of the housing next to the motor, much like BillyCorgi has done.

I would advise that you do this if you want the case to be fixed indefinitely
Curley5959

Car: 07 Forester XT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27640

Postby wildotan » Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:33 pm

Thanks for the guide and all the comments I wish I'd read all comments before I started mine yesterday...did rear right and drivers door yesterday.

Long story short, I now HATE subaru designers with a passion (being an engineer) - this design obviously wasn't meant to be serviceable in any way and the locking mechanism must have been installed on the drivers door before the window rails and glass... -

1. Rear right passenger door - 20 minute tops.
2. Drivers door with the locking mechanism - ALL f-ing day. - I have the 3.0RB wagon which means there's an anti-intrusion bar/tube sitting diagonally accross the door and also the window slide rail which are in the way (as per patricks posts) - that means theres ZERO room to remove the drivers door locking assembly without a fair bit of levering and cuts to get the thing in and out.

My tip for the drivers door - rears and front passenger isn't an issue,

Undo the nuts 2xM12 and 1xM12 holding the window slide rail in place so theres a bit of give - this gives you more room to lever out the locking mechanism. Lots of light helps.

The rest is pretty easy.

Anyone in Perth need a hand send me a pm...

Cheers Will
wildotan

Car: 2005 3.0RB Wagon

Postby patrickbateman » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:29 am

Hahaha, welcome to my nightmare. Same car, I wonder if other Libs have the same thing?

I actually want to go back in to tidy up something I now realise I could have done better, but I'll be damned if I'm pulling the driver's door assembly out again!
patrickbateman

Car: 2005 3.0r-b

Postby LibJam » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:42 pm

My turn for this :-( Done well for 10 years, rear-left door been playing up for a little while but haven't been that worried. Now the drivers' door has stopped switching so need to fix.

The Ebay sale that HODMAN linked us to has ended, found the new one http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/271800535643, seller is mopselectric. Just bought 2 off him (USD23 inc shipping, arrive in a couple of weeks), shows 12 left in stock.

Then just need to find a non-rainy day to do the work (or work under a tarp - no room in garage for a car :-()
Liberty My06 2.5i NA [TEAM WHITE]
sound deadened (outer door skins & parcel shelf)
LibJam

Car: MY06 Pearl White Lib 2.5i

Postby Mangan » Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:37 am

Hi, yet another satisifed customer here. :D I ordered motors (4 x) fom here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/281714271986?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
(mopselectric, FC280PC auto, long flat shaft). They fit directly, but for one small thing. The opposite side of the motor axle did protrude 0.5mm more than the original, so the axle seized. Fortunately I tested the function early on, and could remove some plastic with a knife (red cirlce), and everything worked.

trångt.jpg
trångt.jpg (52.14 KiB) Viewed 17291 times

Instead of gluing, I used a cable tie. We'll see how it lasts. 8)

For my MY05, I found god instrcutions for door trim removal here (I hope it's not against policy to link to other forums)
http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.p ... el+removal

Took me less than two hours, which is what I normally require to change a light bulb. :oops: Thank you, Internet!
Mangan

Car: Outback MY05

Postby SirSurfer » Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:49 am

Thanks for all the tips folks. Great thread.

About 12 months ago I managed to do both front and rear of my GFs car. All was working great when I wrapped it all up. Used some Selley's Super Strong High Temperature, flexi something-or-other glue to put it all back together with. Seemed fine when I installed it.

Unfortunately, after 12 months, the glue failed and I had to remove both of them and do it all again. Don't use Selley's glue!

This time, I drilled 1.5mm holes in every corner around the perimeter of the plastic case, then took some long pieces of solid strand copper wire and ran it through the hole twice; twisted it together to cinch it tight and then soldered the whole thing in place.

This time, no chance it's going to come apart again!

One thing to add -- the replacement motors I got off eBay, Almost exact replacements, though I did have to modify the shaft a bit to flatten one side -- when I first installed them I discovered the motors were wired in opposite polarity as the originals so had to flip the two wires at the connector to get them to operate in the right direction!

LibertyDoorLockActuator1.JPG
LibertyDoorLockActuator1.JPG (216.67 KiB) Viewed 17205 times
SirSurfer

Car: Subaru Liberty Premium 2005

Postby phly » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:27 am

i did mine with a screw in the dimple and cable ties from some suggestions in this thread and has been holding up for 2 years and counting
phly

Car: '05 Liberty GT Sedan 5EAT

Postby tommym » Thu May 12, 2016 6:13 am

I had the same issue - drivers front door did not open for 2 month. After doing all that was recommended the door just opened 2 days ago, I have no idea why...I put everything apart but everything was perfectly clean. Put it together again and it seemed to work but the rod to outside handle did not move so good. I lubricated the lock mechanism, waited 5 min and now everything works excellent. Lubricated the other door locks as well just to prevent problem.
tommym

Car: legacy GT

Postby mrgnluke » Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:21 pm

This thread proves useful once again!

Recently picked up an MY05 Outback with only one of four doors working!

Gave the DIY a crack but unfortunately all three motors were completely kaput. At least it was good practice ;)

Four new motors were purchased thanks to one of the links also in this thread and gave it a crack this morning. All four doors now work with the remote and it took less than two hours with two of us working.

Thanks to all who have contributed here. Made the project very doable!
mrgnluke

Car: MY10 GT wagon- VE Calais V Inter

Postby 04GT.MN » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:07 pm

Thanks for the great Info and pictures!
Completed this today on both passenger doors. Works a treat! Front doors are a bit tight for space - remove the arm that connects the outer door handle to the locking mech then drop it as far down the door as possible. Made it much easier for me at least!

Thanks again! Also motors off ebay work great thanks for the links too.
04 liberty gt. 171kw, at just under one bar, needs more! Avo dump & invidia catback. Dw65 & stock fuel system. Cxracing fmic (soon to be redone properly). Whiteline swaybars f&r. Whiteline Lca bushings. Whiteline front end links. Whiteline strut Tower brace. Kap occ
04GT.MN

Car: 04gt wagon

Postby theraque » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:02 pm

Found the cheapest compatible direct fit motor on AliExpress.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/FC-280P ... 85849.html

So it's got a 20mm D-shaped shaft and should just work. $9.28USD ($12.09) each and shipping starts at $4.59USD ($5.98).
$57AUD for 4x delivered to Australia direct from China so shipping is slow at estimate 24-49 days.

These are the same ones that the Ebay New Jersey USA sells, only cheaper. Anyone up for a group buy to reduce shipping costs/total price per unit?
theraque

Car: Subaru Liberty 2004 GT Premium

Postby specb_liberty » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:13 pm

Hello, I'm trying to fix my back left door lock because subaru said it was the actuator and the part was going to cost $270 so I ordered the motor that was on this thread, I just want to know if anyone that has done this has any tips to make sure it goes smoothly. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/271800535643
specb_liberty

Car: MY05 Subaru Liberty 3.0R Spec B

Postby mrgnluke » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:20 pm

There's 10 pages of tips right here ;)
mrgnluke

Postby specb_liberty » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:42 am

I've been reading all of the thread and I am unsure if I need some trim removal tools to take the door trim off? Thanks
specb_liberty

Car: MY05 Subaru Liberty 3.0R Spec B

Postby mrgnluke » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:53 am

Gentle persuasion with a flat head will get you out of trouble.
mrgnluke

PreviousNext

Return to Reference material & Walkthroughs