DIY: Repair central locking actuator

Detailed descriptions of how to do things to your Liberty.

Re: DIY: Repair central locking actuator

Postby sims » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:31 pm

Great write up teK - I think I will have to perform this on my two rear passenger doors. I wouldn't have thought that these things would stuff up after only 5 years!

As I was looking for info on this, I spotted a Lexus site were they do a similar repair - all I goto say is I'm glad we don't have to do wat they have to, see the link below if you are interested:

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-second-generation/289839-door-lock-acutuators-diy.html

thanx again
Simon
sims

Car: Liberty GT tuned bySTI Black MY06 MT

Postby seanmau5 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:31 pm

So me and my uncle had a go at my front passenger door - his garage is a haven of tools!!

After fiddling for about 1.5 hrs I finally got the locking mechanism out of the door and pulled the motor out. Boy was it full of grease!! After a quick clean the motor still seemed to fail slightly. I'm thinking I'll get 4 of these motors and repair all the doors:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TOYOTA-LEXUS ... 230a0b169f

I noticed the shaft on the original Subaru unit is about 20mm long but this new one is only about 10mm.. Can I get away with swapping the motors out and putting the little wormy groovy thing on the shorter shaft? Or should I swap the armatures over?

Where exactly does the problem lie with the old motors? If it is the armature then I'd prefer not to swap them over but if the problem lies elsewhere then this could be a suitable repair? Any help would be appreciated!!

Thanks,
Sean
~ Team VW ~ Das Auto ~
seanmau5
-stickered-

Car: 2009 Volkswagen Passat CC V6
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13255

Postby Dropz » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:51 pm

the shorter armature i don't think will work as it won't grab on the plastic gear.

The problem lies in the contacts inside the motor, spray it out with degreaser (I used brake cleaner as it evaporates quickly. It is available at Repco, Supercheap etc) and give it a good dry and it will be fine. I dried mine with compressed air but if you don't have a compressor then try using a hair dryer.
Built not bought, it's a way of life.
Dropz

Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17921

Postby seanmau5 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:58 pm

That's what I thought. Plus the longer armature has the half-circle end as in a capital D shape. Yea we gave the old one a quick clean earlier on but then I pulled it apart again and hit it with half a can of degreaser, washed it and dried it out. Definitely runs a lot smoother now but I'm yet to put it back into the car. Bit of a nuisance pulling the locking mechs out so I guess I'll just clean them up as they break..
~ Team VW ~ Das Auto ~
seanmau5
-stickered-

Postby Dropz » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:08 pm

It gets easier. I swapped an actuator at work in about 4 minutes the other day, I'll time it next time I think ;)

Getting it apart, cleaned and glued up took me about 10 minutes in the last one I did. (not including removal and fitting in the door)

It's just having the tools ready and the experience to do it all. Once I'd done it twice it was a piece of cake.
Dropz

Postby seanmau5 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:16 pm

Dropz wrote:Getting it apart, cleaned and glued up took me about 10 minutes in the last one I did. (not including removal and fitting in the door)

Yea took us 20 minutes for the first one - next one should definitely be quicker. I was just getting extremely impatient trying to get the locking mechanism out of the door (took about 90 minutes minus 5 minutes here and there for 'beer break') to get the damn thing out. Went back in with ease.

Dropz wrote:It's just having the tools ready and the experience to do it all. Once I'd done it twice it was a piece of cake.

Well my uncle has a wealth of tools and knowledge (and beer!) to get it done :) I'll be sweet with the next one..
~ Team VW ~ Das Auto ~
seanmau5
-stickered-

Postby Dropz » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:27 pm

A small flatblade to remove the lever backing cover, normal flatblade to removal the grab handle cover, normal phillips to undo all the screws, large/impact phillips to remove the locking assembly, a knife of sorts to cut open the actuator.

Easy as! :)
Dropz

Postby seanmau5 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:01 pm

So after having to pull the doors apart again after the glue popped open I decided I hate the way the doors now close.. The rear doors (which I didn't touch) close with that nice thud still, however the fronts now bang close.. It's kinda like the locking mechanism is outta whack after putting it back in, doesn't seem like something that looks adjustable - but is it???
~ Team VW ~ Das Auto ~
seanmau5
-stickered-

Postby Dropz » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:12 pm

You can adjust the catches on the body, crack them off with an impact screw driver or the biggest one you can find, they are generally damn tight and need a good hit with a hammer to crack them first.
Dropz

Postby seanmau5 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:17 pm

Dropz wrote:You can adjust the catches on the body, crack them off with an impact screw driver or the biggest one you can find, they are generally damn tight and need a good hit with a hammer to crack them first.

Puck... they are tight little fuckers.. Time for a little innovation I think.
~ Team VW ~ Das Auto ~
seanmau5
-stickered-

Postby Dropz » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:30 pm

put some tension on the screwdriver as if you are going to undo it and hit the screwdriver with a hammer.

OR

hit the screws a couple of times and try to undo them then.
Dropz

Postby Ric » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:10 am

If they are still that tight, obviously you haven't moved them. Make sure you haven't dislodged something else to cause the difference.
Ric
Site Admin

Car: OLD: MY06 3RB Wagon NEW: MY21 Outbck
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12

Postby seanmau5 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:53 am

Ric wrote:If they are still that tight, obviously you haven't moved them. Make sure you haven't dislodged something else to cause the difference.

Well the only thing I touched is the locking mechanism and I just put that back in the same way as it came out. I didn't touch the latch on the car so I know that hasn't moved, but the door internals don't seem to want to adjust at all
~ Team VW ~ Das Auto ~
seanmau5
-stickered-

Postby HoFF » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:42 pm

Thanks Tek

i had a go at this after work the other day, its a piece of cake.

it took less then an hour, including going down the street to get some new superglue.

great DIY
HoFF
-stickered-

Car: MY06 3RB Liberty Wagon 6MT MY09 Foz
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13577&start=255

Postby seanmau5 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:20 pm

HoFF wrote:Thanks Tek

i had a go at this after work the other day, its a piece of cake.

it took less then an hour, including going down the street to get some new superglue.

great DIY

HoFF, I originally used super glue & had to re do it as the super glue popped open.. I used kwikgrip the second time around
~ Team VW ~ Das Auto ~
seanmau5
-stickered-

PreviousNext

Return to Reference material & Walkthroughs