DIY: Repair central locking actuator

Detailed descriptions of how to do things to your Liberty.

Re: DIY: Repair central locking actuator

Postby seanmau5 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:23 pm

Good shit man!!

Anytime, shame it took so long though!
~ Team VW ~ Das Auto ~
seanmau5
-stickered-

Car: 2009 Volkswagen Passat CC V6
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13255

Postby phuriouss » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:01 pm

just had a crack at this , was a pain to cut open the actuator unit, cleaned it all up put it back together, still doesnt work? anything else I can try ? or is the motor dead, I can hear it clicking but its not pulling the cables that attach to the locks.
phuriouss

Car: MY05 Liberty GT

Postby nickoboi » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:53 pm

phuriouss wrote:just had a crack at this , was a pain to cut open the actuator unit, cleaned it all up put it back together, still doesnt work? anything else I can try ? or is the motor dead, I can hear it clicking but its not pulling the cables that attach to the locks.

never worked for me either, im considering getting a new actuator, i was quoted $250 for one, what a jib :roll:
nickoboi

Car: Subaru Liberty MY04 2.0i

Postby seanmau5 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:58 pm

nickoboi wrote:
phuriouss wrote:just had a crack at this , was a pain to cut open the actuator unit, cleaned it all up put it back together, still doesnt work? anything else I can try ? or is the motor dead, I can hear it clicking but its not pulling the cables that attach to the locks.

never worked for me either, im considering getting a new actuator, i was quoted $250 for one, what a jib :roll:

Do not pay Subaru Australia $250 for replacement actuators. I'm out at the moment, send me PMs so I remember to reply tomorrow.
~ Team VW ~ Das Auto ~
seanmau5
-stickered-

Postby Dropz » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:18 pm

For anyone in SA I'm available to do this. I have heaps of spares I've fixed up at home also.
Built not bought, it's a way of life.
Dropz

Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17921

Postby phuriouss » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:39 pm

so a new actuator is the way to go? everything seems to be fine?
I guess the motors not working cause I can't see why else the thing wouldn't work
thanks for the help guys
phuriouss

Postby seanmau5 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:05 am

phuriouss wrote:so a new actuator is the way to go? everything seems to be fine?
I guess the motors not working cause I can't see why else the thing wouldn't work
thanks for the help guys

Are you sure you can hear the one that isn't working? Did you put the worm drive back on correctly?
~ Team VW ~ Das Auto ~
seanmau5
-stickered-

Postby phuriouss » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:55 pm

yeah I'm pretty sure I did haha yeah it still clicks but the cables don't pull?
Haha no idea, cbb messing with it anymore just gave up
unless you guys can think of what else it can be haha
phuriouss

Postby stuwr250f » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:55 pm

Big shout out of appreciation to Sean, thanks for the actuators and for the walk through, extremely helpful. I fitted them in a little under two hours, replacing both my faulty actuators with OEM one's that Sean supplied at a bargain price. Working like a charm. So good to be able to lock my car with 1 button again.

Thanks for going to the trouble of getting these parts for us, I couldn't bare to pay what Subaru wants, which is frankly robbery. Have to say the engineering under the door panels isn't world class, obviously designed to assist the manufacturing process not the future repairers, The door handle grips, what a terrible design they are. :shock:
stuwr250f

Car: 05 RB Liberty Wagon 6SP

Postby Deus_Ex_Machina » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:29 pm

Hi Guys,
I wanted to say thanks for this thread. I got quoted $350 for a new actuator fitted last week for my wife's car. $20 for a set of trim tools which I can use again, a few hours of my time and it's as good as new.

For those who want new motors this seller on Ebay seems to have the long shaft version (however you would have to file a flat on it by the looks of it.)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mabuchi-Nichibo ... TQ:US:1123

I also managed to repair the clock/trip meter in the same car this week thanks to this forum so I'm about $600 up this week. Thanks again guys, much appreciated.
Deus_Ex_Machina

Car: Outback 2004

Postby chanham » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:47 pm

Deus_Ex_Machina wrote:Hi Guys,
I wanted to say thanks for this thread. I got quoted $350 for a new actuator fitted last week for my wife's car. $20 for a set of trim tools which I can use again, a few hours of my time and it's as good as new.

For those who want new motors this seller on Ebay seems to have the long shaft version (however you would have to file a flat on it by the looks of it.)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mabuchi-Nichibo ... TQ:US:1123

I also managed to repair the clock/trip meter in the same car this week thanks to this forum so I'm about $600 up this week. Thanks again guys, much appreciated.

good work mate - ive actually ordered 3 of these motors to do my actuators, but i ended up buying the entire assembly. if anyone wants em, just pay postage and they're yours.
chanham
formerly ciand06

Car: Subaru Liberty 3.0R 2004
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18831

Postby stuwr250f » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:07 am

It is so satisfying to fix this kind of stuff yourself and not get robbed by Subaru. Armed with a little information and time, generally seems to be all that is need to resolve most problems :) Great forums.
stuwr250f

Car: 05 RB Liberty Wagon 6SP

Postby Loose1 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:16 pm

If you don't want to wait for replacement part, go to the wreckers and pull a motor out of a gen 3 (all I could find) the shaft is different but the top half (plastic part) is the same ... turns out all I needed is the plastic top as the bushes were less worn didn't even clean it and away it went?
MY06 3.0r spec b
Mods ...Ask the wife??
Loose1

Car: MY06 3.0R SPEC B...SILVER

Postby MarkTownsville » Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:12 pm

Thanks for a great tutorial. I found an excess of grease (shame Subaru!) and the associated contamination of the motor. After cleaning, mine worked well at first, but then its movement was greatly reduced and so was back to it's old ineffectual self.
So I put it back together again as the car was needed, but left the actuator off (as there seemed no need to put it back on if it wasn't working), but when I went to open the car do, it wouldn't open at all! It the lock wasn't responding so the cable must have become dislodged in my rushed re-assembly!
So now I don't know how to open the door! HELP SOMEONE PLEASE!! :O
MarkTownsville

Car: Outback

Postby seanmau5 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:24 pm

MarkTownsville wrote:Thanks for a great tutorial. I found an excess of grease (shame Subaru!) and the associated contamination of the motor. After cleaning, mine worked well at first, but then its movement was greatly reduced and so was back to it's old ineffectual self.
So I put it back together again as the car was needed, but left the actuator off (as there seemed no need to put it back on if it wasn't working), but when I went to open the car do, it wouldn't open at all! It the lock wasn't responding so the cable must have become dislodged in my rushed re-assembly!
So now I don't know how to open the door! HELP SOMEONE PLEASE!! :O

You'd probably need to get a pro in to manipulate the locking mechanisms through the gap in the top of the door. I can't see any other way of doing it.
~ Team VW ~ Das Auto ~
seanmau5
-stickered-

PreviousNext

Return to Reference material & Walkthroughs