DIY: Repair central locking actuator

Detailed descriptions of how to do things to your Liberty.

Re: DIY: Repair central locking actuator

Postby chanham » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:46 pm

lukey wrote:A possible replacement motor?

http://www.hiteksystems.co.nz/automotiv ... 7?cPath=30

will this do the trick? anyone tired?

just attempted my drivers side door and no luck. thinking of just replacing the entire motor.

EDIT: or these ones (20mm): http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mabuchi-Door ... 515wt_1163

Guessing ill need to file down the end of the 2nd one.
chanham
formerly ciand06

Car: Subaru Liberty 3.0R 2004
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18831

Postby calibre » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:59 pm

Just registered to post a big thanks for taking them time to write that tutorial. It took me about 3x as long but that's purely due to my own incompetence and not for lack of clear instructions.. !
calibre

Car: 2004 Liberty GT wagon

Postby Nalnoc » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:46 pm

Another few hundred bucks save because of this thread, thanks mate! Rear passenger side mechanism now working perfectly :)

Still have the other side to do though. Does anyone have any bright idea's on how to easily un-pick the metal tabs holding the bottom half of the motor on? It took me over an hour and 2 stab wounds to get it to the point where I could separate the 2 halves (albeit by forcefully smashing the motor shaft into the ground to pop the other side out). Delicate work really isn't my thing :P
Nalnoc

Car: EJ257'd MY05 GT

Postby Nalnoc » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:19 pm

Found an answer to my own question :)

Dug a slot into the plastic just below the tab with a metal skewer, which gave me a lot more leverage with the screw driver. With a bit of force, I could bend the tabs out of the way without too much trouble. And not a single stab wound to speak of :)
Nalnoc

Car: EJ257'd MY05 GT

Postby teK-- » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:12 pm

Nalnoc wrote:Another few hundred bucks save because of this thread, thanks mate! Rear passenger side mechanism now working perfectly :)

Still have the other side to do though. Does anyone have any bright idea's on how to easily un-pick the metal tabs holding the bottom half of the motor on? It took me over an hour and 2 stab wounds to get it to the point where I could separate the 2 halves (albeit by forcefully smashing the motor shaft into the ground to pop the other side out). Delicate work really isn't my thing :P

Don't stab. Just use a small screwdriver, get the tip slightly under the tab (gouge into the plastic case) then twist. No wounds ;)
MY04 2.5i Safety 5MT Sedan "Project Locomotive"
..: JDM Subaru-AVO-Whiteline-Bilstein-Swift Springs-Cusco-Rallitek-GT Brakes-Remsa-K4RT30Y-Blitz-Philips-Défi-STI-Sabelt-Redline-Alpine-Polk Audio-Kenwood-Dynamat :..
teK--
-stickered-

Postby Jelwin » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:30 pm

Hi guys

Im selling two actuators, one left and one right.

Huy (dmh87) from the forum asked if the actuators are universal for their respective side. As in can a front actuator fit on the rear door?
Just that I cannot remember which doors I took them from. You can tell which is a right and left from lines coming out and the design, but not the place where they can go.

Unless there is a way of telling from the embossed writing on the actuators to tell me if its a front or back.....?

Josh
Jelwin

Car: MY06 3.0r-B

Postby ProjectSTi » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:43 am

Did anyone end up buying of these guys?

https://www.subarupartsdepot.com

My rear left was always dodgy but since i didn't use it much didn't matter. Now the front left is starting to go =\

Guess I'll have to open the doors up !
ProjectSTi

Car: 06 Liberty 3.0R-B

Postby seanmau5 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:09 pm

Jelwin wrote:Hi guys

Im selling two actuators, one left and one right.

Huy (dmh87) from the forum asked if the actuators are universal for their respective side. As in can a front actuator fit on the rear door?
Just that I cannot remember which doors I took them from. You can tell which is a right and left from lines coming out and the design, but not the place where they can go.

Unless there is a way of telling from the embossed writing on the actuators to tell me if its a front or back.....?

Josh

In terms of left and right the actuators aren't universal. Front and rear yes they are.

ProjectSTI wrote:Did anyone end up buying of these guys?

https://www.subarupartsdepot.com

My rear left was always dodgy but since i didn't use it much didn't matter. Now the front left is starting to go =\

Guess I'll have to open the doors up !

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=21300

Buy yourself some replacements, best thing I ever did.
~ Team VW ~ Das Auto ~
seanmau5
-stickered-

Car: 2009 Volkswagen Passat CC V6
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13255

Postby PUDZ RSC3.0RB » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:21 pm

Hi Guys only my 2nd post and many thanx to teK for the great walkthru.It certainly worked for my right passenger door,but probably took me about 3 hrs.
Two areas which took up time were releasing cable from exterior lock and undoing those rotten little tabs on the motor.Cable was quick once i realised how -doh and once job was done i saw the post about digging a small hole in the plastic to help release the tabs.
Works as new now and next time will be a lot quicker i hope.
Thanx again for all ur posts and from denying subaru another 2 greenbacks.
Regards All Grant
PUDZ RSC3.0RB

Car: 05 Liberty Trolly
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22581

Postby 05GTLIB » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:09 pm

Did one of my rear doors today, worked a treat!!! I ll do the other tomorrow, probably took me about 1h and a half. The only thing I did different is use large cable ties to hold the plastic casing closed instead of glue as I didn't have any and couldn't be fu#ked going down to the hardware store, plus then i would of had to wait for the glue to dry, anyway worked great :D
05GTLIB

Car: 05 liberty gt

Postby seanmau5 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:16 pm

05GTLIB wrote:Did one of my rear doors today, worked a treat!!! I ll do the other tomorrow, probably took me about 1h and a half. The only thing I did different is use large cable ties to hold the plastic casing closed instead of glue as I didn't have any and couldn't be fu#ked going down to the hardware store, plus then i would of had to wait for the glue to dry, anyway worked great :D

Nice.. I found any glue I tried didn't hold well and kept splitting open. Considered cable ties but just bought new.

Have you done the front door yet? Hoping someone tells me the front and back are similar to work on.
~ Team VW ~ Das Auto ~
seanmau5
-stickered-

Postby 05GTLIB » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:32 pm

Na sorry, my fronts work fine so i havent needed to, however im sure its the same deal
05GTLIB

Car: 05 liberty gt

Postby seanmau5 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:49 pm

Yea the actuator casing looks much the same so should come apart much the same I hope.

Nice work!
~ Team VW ~ Das Auto ~
seanmau5
-stickered-

Postby PUDZ RSC3.0RB » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:55 pm

05GTLIB wrote:Did one of my rear doors today, worked a treat!!! I ll do the other tomorrow, probably took me about 1h and a half. The only thing I did different is use large cable ties to hold the plastic casing closed instead of glue as I didn't have any and couldn't be fu#ked going down to the hardware store, plus then i would of had to wait for the glue to dry, anyway worked great :D

Smart idea with the cable ties,i used 5min areldite which so far has held together,only been a few days but. I think yours will be easier to get apart if it buggers up again.
Have had the front skin off,it is the same.
PUDZ RSC3.0RB

Car: 05 Liberty Trolly
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22581

Postby nickoboi » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:28 pm

I got the plastic cover off but how the hell do I detach the actuator from the door??????????
nickoboi

Car: Subaru Liberty MY04 2.0i

PreviousNext

Return to Reference material & Walkthroughs