Installing 12V socket into rear of wagon

Detailed descriptions of how to do things to your Liberty.

Installing 12V socket into rear of wagon

Postby Ric » Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:09 pm

Here is a writeup on accessing the wiring for the optional 12V receptacle in the rear of a US Legacy wagon, and also the trailer wiring.

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9097

Australian Libertys have the 12V plug in the same location, but the plug with the trailer signals is on the other side of the car.

If anyone wants to take some photos of an Australian model, please contact me.
Ric
Site Admin

Car: OLD: MY06 3RB Wagon NEW: MY21 Outbck
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12

Re: Installing 12V socket into rear of wagon

Postby Baz » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:47 am

I did this mod on the weekend - very easy and as per the US Legacy Wagon instructions. EXCEPT in my MY08 I had to remove an additional trim panel above the D pillar (it pops out easily, not so easy to get back on though). Also, as I used a generic $12 socket from Jaycar (CAT. NO. PS2008) the Subaru wire plug was a different shape to the socket connectors. This is an easy fix using the additional wire that comes with the generic socket.

Sorry, no photos - I only realised I should have taken some AFTER I put it back together :oops:

Note - the socket from Jaycar has a metal 'under dash mount' on it. Easily removed by unscrewing the outer case of the socket - the bracket then just slips off.
Baz

Car: MY08 Liberty GT Wagon

Postby Victripper » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:56 am

Rick,

I think this is going to be one of the early updates I am going to do when I get my Wagon in a couple of weeks. As I don't have the car yet just wondering what the plug looks like that it needs to be wired up to and what is involved in installing it there? I have never done many electrical mods on any car without having an adapter plug to mean that its just plug and play.

Is this one that easy? Sorry to ask what is probably a silly question but don't want to stuff up my new car, if I did so quickly I guess the guy would want to kill me!
Victripper

Car: MY12 Liberty Sports Premium Wg 2.5i

Postby Ric » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:30 am

I don't know, I never got around to doing it on mine, which is why I don't have any photos of an Australian one up.
Where are you located? I'm happy to give you a hand if you do want to do it to yours (and I have all the necessary crimping tools if we do have to do any rewiring.) :)
Ric
Site Admin

Postby Victripper » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:46 am

Hi Ric,

Thanks for the offer, might take you up on it once I have a look and see if there is actually a challenge to doing it or not.

I am in Donvale just off Springvale Rd. Guess not too far away from you as there seems to be a few meets over this side of town including at Mitcham that I wish I had my Liberty in time to go to but, will make it next time once I have the car.

Mind you seeing all the mods on here, not sure the wife will like the amount of mods I am getting tempted more and more by the day to do.

Edit: Is it possible to complete this without crimping on to the wires? Could they be cut and then a couple of plugs put on to allow for a clean install or are the crimps fine?

When I got a towbar setup done on my Forester I got them to make up a plug so that it would just plug in as opposed to crimping on to the trailer wiring.
Victripper

Postby Victripper » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:02 pm

Just spoke to a friend at work and asked him what he thought about the crimping in to existing wiring coming from the front of the car and he said he would run a new wire from the battery with a low voltage cut off on the front near the battery to ensure that we don't over drain the battery and can't get away later.

We are thinking of 6mm cable from the front to back and that way I can hang anything I want off it without any issues of over heating the wiring that would of been running off otherwise. When we do it I will be sure to note the parts and take photo's so everyone can see how we did it.

Is there space under the bonnet for another battery or just upgrade the battery to a higher capacity as I am looking at borrow a friends car fridge at christmas and then look at buying one for the wife for her birthday when she likes the cold food all the way to QLD and back. Even better Cold JD's and wine to enjoy on the stop overs.
Victripper

Postby Ric » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:27 pm

Victripper wrote:Just spoke to a friend at work and asked him what he thought about the crimping in to existing wiring coming from the front of the car and he said he would run a new wire from the battery with a low voltage cut off on the front near the battery to ensure that we don't over drain the battery and can't get away later.

We are thinking of 6mm cable from the front to back and that way I can hang anything I want off it without any issues of over heating the wiring that would of been running off otherwise. When we do it I will be sure to note the parts and take photo's so everyone can see how we did it.

Waste of time running an extra wire, unless you're planning on pulling more than 20 amps.
There's one 20amp fuse for the cigarette lighter, and a seperate one for the accessory power outlets in the centre console and the boot.
It's only powered up when the engine is running, or the key is in the ACC position, so it won't drain your battery when the car is right off.

If you want to have power when the car is right off, then you WILL need to run your own wiring, and a low V cutout would be essential.

Is there space under the bonnet for another battery

no
A better solution would be to have a dedicated battery for the fridge in the boot, and keep it charged when the car is running.
You'd need to have it well tied down though, so it can't fly through the cabin in an accident.
Note, there is a LOT of wasted space inside the spare wheel. You can chop out a lot of the polystyrene the jack is mounted in to put something down there.
or just upgrade the battery to a higher capacity as I am looking at borrow a friends car fridge at christmas and then look at buying one for the wife for her birthday when she likes the cold food all the way to QLD and back. Even better Cold JD's and wine to enjoy on the stop overs.

Check what current the car fridge you are looking at requires. It should be well under 20 amps.
What is the capacity of your current battery? I think SpecB and GT models come with larger batteries, so if you have a smaller one you can certainly go bigger.
Ric
Site Admin

Postby joel6542 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:32 am

Has anyone tried this on a MY10 3.6R outback?
joel6542

Car: outback 3.6R 2010

Postby Liberty Wagon » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:18 pm

Sorry to bump an old thread but did this mod today and got some pictures which I thought may help someone out. Was really easy and definitely will be useful at some point.
I used the genuine Subaru socket because Im anal like that but you could easily mount any cheap one instead and crimp new terminals to it.
Attachments
20140111_160923.jpg
The finished product.
20140111_160923.jpg (182.55 KiB) Viewed 19968 times
20140111_160819.jpg
The socket sits behind this panel.
20140111_160819.jpg (212.94 KiB) Viewed 19968 times
20140111_153559.jpg
Once you have drilled the hole and mounted the socket, this is how it should look at the back.
20140111_153559.jpg (161.59 KiB) Viewed 19968 times
20140111_153515.jpg
Without going into how to remove the trim, once you have it forward, this is where the plug is coiled up.
20140111_153515.jpg (176.11 KiB) Viewed 19968 times
Liberty Wagon

Car: MY05 Liberty Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=18492

Postby lump_a_charcoal » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:07 am

Ric wrote:Here is a writeup on accessing the wiring for the optional 12V receptacle in the rear of a US Legacy wagon, and also the trailer wiring.

Australian Libertys have the 12V plug in the same location, but the plug with the trailer signals is on the other side of the car.

Just to clarify, the trailer wiring plug is in the passenger side of the AU cars.
Team White GenV GT Manual Wagon with fluffy dice

Mods (in order): Blacked out E-tag, drift spec fluffy dice, BC BR coilovers, strobe comfort flasher, de-badged tailgate + new GT badge, Prova Si knob, Tommy Kaira front grill + Gt badge, Cusco Strut brace (front), Prova blue mirrors, SSW Phoenix 20" black Stance SC-7 20" black, Nitto 35 series tyres, HKS filter, DAMD rear wing, Valenti smoked tail lights, LED rear reflectors, Headlights and others by Leo (hks180), Cusco rear sway bar, Full Invidia Q300 TBE, AVO TMIC, Summit Racing rear strut brace, KiDo Tune, front Cusco swaybar, upgraded LCA bushes, Valenti smoked centre tail light
Build thread here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22731
lump_a_charcoal

Car: 2013 Land Rover Defender 110

Ours was on the right hand side.

Postby sheppo9 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:38 am

sheppo9

Car: An Outback

Re: Ours was on the right hand side.

Postby lump_a_charcoal » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:59 am

sheppo9 wrote:Ours was on the right hand side.

Huh, strange! My one was just inside the passenger wheel arch.

EDIT - thought I saw gen V somewhere... I'll go away now. :oops:
Team White GenV GT Manual Wagon with fluffy dice

Mods (in order): Blacked out E-tag, drift spec fluffy dice, BC BR coilovers, strobe comfort flasher, de-badged tailgate + new GT badge, Prova Si knob, Tommy Kaira front grill + Gt badge, Cusco Strut brace (front), Prova blue mirrors, SSW Phoenix 20" black Stance SC-7 20" black, Nitto 35 series tyres, HKS filter, DAMD rear wing, Valenti smoked tail lights, LED rear reflectors, Headlights and others by Leo (hks180), Cusco rear sway bar, Full Invidia Q300 TBE, AVO TMIC, Summit Racing rear strut brace, KiDo Tune, front Cusco swaybar, upgraded LCA bushes, Valenti smoked centre tail light
Build thread here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22731
lump_a_charcoal

Car: 2013 Land Rover Defender 110

Postby Liberty Wagon » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:51 pm

lump_a_charcoal wrote:
Ric wrote:Here is a writeup on accessing the wiring for the optional 12V receptacle in the rear of a US Legacy wagon, and also the trailer wiring.

Just to clarify, the trailer wiring plug is in the passenger side of the AU cars.

I think its on the drivers side mate. Didn't look for it while I had it apart.
Liberty Wagon

Car: MY05 Liberty Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=18492

Postby tom_kauf » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:33 pm

Hi all,
Just some info for anyone who wants to do this upgrade. I was going to order these parts as per the link in the original post:
86711FA060 -- Power Outlet, 86712FA010 -- Cap, 86716AG000 -- Ring Nut

BUT, my local Subaru dealer emailed me back this :D:
Subaru supply a kit that contains these three parts, and the cost is cheaper than buying the components:
H6710AJ100

Sweet! I didn't know that...

EDIT: And, unlike the separate parts, the kit comes with instructions. But they're in Japanese :/.

[Stealth & Speed - Comfort & Practicality]: My 2008 MY09 GT SpecB Wagon - Manual 200,000km
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Car: 2008 Liberty GT SpecB Manual Wagon

Postby robo498 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:40 am

thanks guys, this maybe my next project ! :D

**UPDATE

just purchased the plug from ebay for $1.35
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12-24V-Motor ... 2749.l2649
robo498

Car: liberty wagon my08 2.5L Sat Nav

Return to Reference material & Walkthroughs