"Project Locomotive," Suspension build log

Show off what mods you've done to your car.

Re: "Project Locomotive," Suspension build log

Postby teK-- » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:53 pm

Hotwire wrote:
Laps wrote:What would one have to do to get the front more even to the rear?

Install the swift springs on Stock KYB struts, and you will get as per the first fitment here:

Nice and even - so if you fit the swift springs on your stock struts, you will have this level too - just what you are after I would say ;)

Yep either that, or if wanting to level out the height if fitting Bilsteins, there is a guy on LegacyGT who makes "saggy butt shims" which are basically a plastic spacing plate which sits on top of the rear strut tops and also involves replacing the strut top studs with longer ones. Since the plate is about 3/8" thick, it jacks the rear back up a little bit to level out the F/R height.
MY04 2.5i Safety 5MT Sedan "Project Locomotive"
..: JDM Subaru-AVO-Whiteline-Bilstein-Swift Springs-Cusco-Rallitek-GT Brakes-Remsa-K4RT30Y-Blitz-Philips-Défi-STI-Sabelt-Redline-Alpine-Polk Audio-Kenwood-Dynamat :..
teK--
-stickered-

Postby teK-- » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:57 pm

smythie wrote:
teK-- wrote:Because we all love pics :D

Much prefer the look of the front wheel in the guard over the rear.

Yeah I know what you mean (the gap is pretty even all around the circumference of the front wheel), however at the back it tapers in at the top. There is about half a finger of gap between the rear tyre and the guard at the top, whereas at the front there are 3 fingers.
..: JDM Subaru-AVO-Whiteline-Bilstein-Swift Springs-Cusco-Rallitek-GT Brakes-Remsa-K4RT30Y-Blitz-Philips-Défi-STI-Sabelt-Redline-Alpine-Polk Audio-Kenwood-Dynamat :..
teK--
-stickered-

Postby Gunna » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:01 pm

Hey teK,

Mind pointing us in the direction of where we can get a set of the B8s?
Gunna

Car: Liberty GT Premium MY05

Postby teK-- » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:15 pm

Hey Gunna, I sourced mine through Pedders South Melbourne who are a local distributor. I think Heasman's (spelling?) is in your end of town. Check Bilstein's website also.

P.s. Nice profile pic :)
teK--
-stickered-

Postby Q » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:07 am

How much did you pay for the Bilsteins?
Q

Postby smythie » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:04 am

teK-- wrote:Hey Gunna, I sourced mine through Pedders South Melbourne who are a local distributor. I think Heasman's (spelling?) is in your end of town. Check Bilstein's website also.

P.s. Nice profile pic :)
Heaseman's Steering in Sydney is the mob tek was referring to.

From the Bilstein website "Contact Us" page, they refer to:

ACT
Inline Steering
32 Yass Road
Queanbeyan NSW 2620
tel (02) 6232 9955
fax (02) 6232 9956
Flag Bitch

MY06 3.0RB
smythie

Car: MY06 3RB - Blue

Postby teK-- » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:02 am

Q wrote:How much did you pay for the Bilsteins?

RRP Prices as below, you should check your local retailer to see if they can do a better price for you, as mine did:

Front pair: $990.00
Rear pair: $649.00
teK--
-stickered-

Postby Q » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:49 pm

teK-- wrote:
Q wrote:How much did you pay for the Bilsteins?

RRP Prices as below, you should check your local retailer to see if they can do a better price for you, as mine did:

Front pair: $990.00
Rear pair: $649.00

Holy shit thats expensive. Why not buy from overseas and get them for half that delivered?
Q

Postby teK-- » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:15 pm

(I didn't pay the RRP).

I looked into having Bilstein HD struts (similar model but they are a standard length body) shipped over from the USA and the cost was totally over the top for shipping.

I could not find any suppliers in Japan who sold anything other than the JDM Spec-B struts and the cost of those even before shipping is more than what I paid. Again they are a standard length body too.

The option I chose was the least hassle, least overall cost (I didn't have to pay for shipping), and means that I was able to get the short length body versions which are designed for lowered springs. Plus I'm supporting local business :)
teK--
-stickered-

Postby vaccine » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:51 pm

you realise you can get Tein coilovers of IM for like $800 delivered to the door.
i got a brand new set of Tein Flex of there for $1800.
.. Dave
vaccine

Car: MY05 3RB

Postby teK-- » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:24 pm

Sounds like a good deal Dave; I didn't see prices anywhere that low for 4th gen fitment. Regardless coilovers were not what I wanted as I want a setup that will last me 100KKms before needing a rebuild.

Most reports are that TEIN coilovers will only go to around 50-60KKms of mixed road/light track use before dropping off in performance.
teK--
-stickered-

Postby julzzychan » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:06 pm

bruda i haven't seen such long descriptive work of your car for a long time! haha good one brother! U love you car dun ya haha

locomotive LOL :D
Cheers,

Julz

Current - -> MY07 Liberty TBSTI Sedan Black #139/300 - Charcoal Rims, Phat Dump/ Mid pipe, K&N Filter

AWD - SOLD -> MY07 Liberty Obsidian Black[/b] BL5 EJ255 6SP Manual - STI'ed
| 6000K HID | LED I/O | STi Front/Rear Lip Spoilers | STI Braided Brake Lines | Silver 18" x 7.5 Enkei | Phat Dump Pipe | Centre - S/S Flex with 3" Resonator joint with 2.5" S/S Y split to M/S Hurricane Quad Mufflers | Blackened Grill | CF Stanza Eye Lid | Factory Sat-Nav | Resonator Delete | 50% Smoked Taillight | K2 Roof Finisher | Zero Side Strake Pair | DAMD Rear Extension pair | Cobb SF Intake Black | Grimspeed 3-port BCS | AVO Turbo Inlet + 265lph Fuel Pump | KidoTuned 189kW ATW |

1WR - SOLD -> MY06 Honda Black/Grey CBR600RR | Jardine RT-One Slip-On Pipe | ASV Lever | Diable Rosso II | Braided Brake Lines | Quick Shifter | PCIII
julzzychan
-stickered-

Car: 07 Liberty TBSTI #139/300

Postby MY10_3.6L » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:16 pm

+1 on the detail and amount of info your sharing, sounds like a great ride....funny it seems to be missing flaming & whining comments about your reckless pointless idiotic senseless selfish endangerment of other road users though? :roll: :roll: :roll:

Enjoyed reading it.
I'm now on my 4th Liberty, I enjoy the pain they cause!! The 3.6l is in a world of its own.

My contribution to Global Warming
MY10_3.6L

Car: MY10 3.6l Premium

Postby teK-- » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:56 pm

Finally, an update! Cash has been tight and I have been doing some other things with the car so the suspension build slowed down.

Thanks to Rusty (04GTLib) he organised for the Rallitek HD endlinks to be sent over from the USA. It is based on the OEM design but with better ball joints which are still fully sealed with boots. This design avoids noisy operation, binding or other issues such as cracked bushes, which are common in the other styles of endlinks (Whiteline racing spec ball jointed, AVO/Kartboy/Perrin style with urethane bushes, etc).

The shafts are 30% thicker but from all reports the stock endlinks are still stiff enough for a mild increase in swaybar size. The only problem I saw was that the stock front endlinks have nylon joints which easily fail even if driving a stock car hard.

After a couple of DIY mishaps fitting the endlinks (overtorqued bolt which snapped in the subframe), cross threaded bolts which could not be refitted, all the gear is now installed with the help once again of Reade at Pedders South Melbourne.

FML what should have been a straightforward job at home turned out to be an utter nightmare! :good: for a hoist and airgun...

I should note to others who may wish to avoid the same situation that I did, that the AVO rear swaybar reinforcement brackets are not a good fit so you have to be very careful. There are 3 bolts on each bracket, 1 which goes into the subframe (very highly torqued), and the two for each swaybar bush mount. If you undo only the bush mount bolts, the whole AVO bracket will shift due to the tension of the subframe bolt.

This means you can't get the bush mount bolts back in because the holes won't line up properly. Due to the subframe bolts rated at 175Nm, they are near impossible to undo without an airgun. Even if you do get them undone at home the whole subframe may shift slightly and you need a punch or similar to line it back up before you can do them up again.

Also, if you remove the bush mount bolts first before undoing the subframe bolts like I did, the subframe tension totally chews out the thread on those bolts as they grind against the very tight fit holes in the AVO bracket as you undo them. You will then have to get new ones like I did (M8 x 25mm, minimum grade 8 high tensile with matching washers). Do not use the grinded up bolts again as you will chew out the nuts which are tack welded on the subframe. I wrecked one of the nuts by doing so, which had to be chiseled off and replaced with a Nyloc nut.

The solution? You have to undo the subframe bolts slightly before undoing the swaybar bracket bolts. Refit in reverse order. AVO could have avoided this problem entirely by making the holes bigger on the bracket and including some big washers to go under the bolts.

On road, the improvement from the new endlinks is indistinguishable, which was to be expected. The proof is really in durability and that I'm not going to worry about one of the plastic jointed front endlinks popping apart on a hard set of corners.
Attachments
13042010626.jpg
Front links shown here
13042010626.jpg (84 KiB) Viewed 5160 times
17102009089.jpg
17102009089.jpg (142.48 KiB) Viewed 5160 times
teK--
-stickered-

Postby 04GTLIB » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:20 pm

Glad you got it all sorted Jim.
Keep me posted on how they perform.

Cheers,
Rusty.
19" Koya wheels - STI front lip - STI Scuff Plates - STI Shift Knob - STI Pedal Set - Blitz A/C filter - Battery and ABS covers - Hyperflow TMIC - Auto Meter boost gauge and fabricated pod - EXOTIC EXHAUST ceramic coated dump pipe, hi flow cat, 3" centre pipe and fabricated rear mufflers - BC Racing Coil Overs - Phat lower control arm bushes - Whiteline rear camber bushes - Rallitek end links - Valenti LED tail lights - DBA Slotted rotors - QFM pads - Goodridge Brake Lines.
Coming soon - Spec B front - Kinugawa turbo upgrade
04GTLIB

Car: MY04 GT Liberty Wagon

PreviousNext

Return to Post your mods