MY08 Liberty GT Spec B Team White 6Man

Show off what mods you've done to your car.

Re: MY08 Liberty GT Spec B Team White 6Man

Postby fatfrog02 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:16 pm

The other factor was that it was pretty cold every time my CEL was tripped.
fatfrog02

Boost issues - Tune, 3 port MAC solenoid & Sti lower arm sup

Postby GTB Liberty » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:42 pm

Hello everyone,

Quick update . . . with the warmer weather I've noticed that the boost is just not happening. Seems the maximum now that the car puts out is between 13.3-13.8 Psi. It's very frustrating and I've assumed its the ECU pulling in the boost to protect the engine as this is my 1st spring/summer with the Phat DP. So a tune is on its way on the 21st Oct.

In conjunction with the tune I'm going to get a 3 port MAC solenoid installed for better boost management as well. Finally, the Sti lower arm support bar is going to be installed as well.

Hoping the boys at ASG are (same tuners as American Dave's Sti) are organised enough to get me a pre tune and post tune graph to post.

Have to admit - I'm a bit excited about the possible results. :D
MY08 Liberty GT Spec B Manual SEDAN | TEAM White | Verso tuned @ ASG 240 Hp & 372 Nm hub dyno| STi | BBK M turbo | GriMspeed | Brembo | Valentine V1 | ECUdatascan | PROVA | HKS | Zero Sports | Phat Performance Parts | ACME | Whiteline | Enkei | Dixcel | Cusco
" . . . and on the 8th day God made Subaru . . . on the 9th supposedly the V8 . . . and on the 10th turbo lag so the V8s would think they had a chance "
GTB Liberty

Car: MY08 Liberty GT Spec B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?t=5714

Postby GTB Liberty » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:45 pm

Damn - the Grimmspeed 3 port solenoid failed to arrive in time for the tune so it's getting tuned on the stock solenoid.

It's tomorrow though so I'll get graphs up as soon as I can.
MY08 Liberty GT Spec B Manual SEDAN | TEAM White | Verso tuned @ ASG 240 Hp & 372 Nm hub dyno| STi | BBK M turbo | GriMspeed | Brembo | Valentine V1 | ECUdatascan | PROVA | HKS | Zero Sports | Phat Performance Parts | ACME | Whiteline | Enkei | Dixcel | Cusco
" . . . and on the 8th day God made Subaru . . . on the 9th supposedly the V8 . . . and on the 10th turbo lag so the V8s would think they had a chance "
GTB Liberty

Postby GTSPECB STI » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:50 pm

the mystery festival of tune :lol:
MY10 Forester XTP
GTSPECB STI
-stickered-

Mythical tune leads to mythical results

Postby GTB Liberty » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:35 am

GTSPECB STI wrote:the mystery festival of tune :lol:

Graphs say it all :D

Couldn't even start to describe the difference. Quite simply if you are driving an untuned OEM setup you are wasting your time.

The only engine mods are the HKS air filter and Phat performance dump pipe.
GTB Liberty

Postby lozza » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:40 pm

Nice work Andrew :mrgreen:

gotta see your car sooon :!:

Laurie
TEAM BLACK slightly modified

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9232&start=0
lozza

Car: 07LibGTBtbSTI

Postby GTSPECB STI » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:01 pm

Ok so the base reading was 175 HP...car must feel like a rocket ship after the fix....will you just say the words for me now? :lol:
Last edited by GTSPECB STI on Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MY10 Forester XTP
GTSPECB STI
-stickered-

Postby Kekotic » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:13 pm

Okay so I'm looking at the graph, and I can't work it out.
It says the stock tune is the thin line, yet it's maxing out at 140hp for the thin blue line in the graphs.

Can you just say the before and after kW/HP ATW so idiots like me don't have to try and decipher that graph!
Kekotic
-stickered-

Car: MY07 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13066

Postby champ » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:04 pm

Dave, I 'll say it for Andrew "Why did he wait"!!!

Now go and edit your first post with the latest updates! :lol:
champ
-stickered-

Car: MY07 GT Spec.B Tuned by STi 6MT OBP

OEM claimed, measured and post tune

Postby GTB Liberty » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:49 pm

chaotic2050 wrote:Okay so I'm looking at the graph, and I can't work it out.
It says the stock tune is the thin line, yet it's maxing out at 140hp for the thin blue line in the graphs.

Can you just say the before and after kW/HP ATW so idiots like me don't have to try and decipher that graph!

Look I've been doing some thinking about this endlessly because my initial figures seem so low. Here's my idea. Since the dump pipe was installed I had a very noticeable "air rush" sound on boost - I noted it in an earlier post and Phat and I discussed (you wre right Michael - something WAS wrong). In the end, someone F'd up working on my car, hid the fact :angry2: and my lack of experience meant I just didn't know due to the new installed 3" DP. I put the "air rush" sound to the waste gate operating more easily and harder in the new 3" dump pipe. WRONG - even with the car spiking at 16 Psi on occassions and still pulling 14.8 Psi normally. The problem boost leak just got worse over time until max peaks were 13.8 and below.

What I was advised by All Stars Garage (who tuned the car) that somehow during the install of the dump pipe that the gasket between the turbo outlet and inter-cooler pipe/gasket had been "folded over" and was causing a leak. This was fixed and still although not perfect is sealing acceptably - a replacement will be ordered. Regardless, in the pre tune graphs you can see the boost graph shows no major pressure drops, however, the power/torque gets mashed badly after 3600 rpm to 4700. My gut reaction is the power /torque measured pre tune curve is post ASG's fix to boost leak, then the ECU shits itself trying to work out the new airflow. Hence, fuel dumps, produces a low power/torque figures and just pathetic power and torque curve.

Then, gets tuned - massive power increase.

So, lets go back to what I know:

OEM stats say OEM off the line 185 Kw and 339 Nm. I'm gong to assume ONLY 25% drive-train loss.

185Kw*1.341*(1-.25) = 188 Hp ATW
339*(1-.25) = 254 Nm ATW

My first power run had off the graphs 140 Hp @ 5000 rpm and (say) 258 Nm torque ATW. So I'm effectively way down on power BUT torques about the same? The OEM curve, regardless of outputs, is simply shocking.

So, say OEM 188 Hp (although "dyno measured" was 140 Hp) ATW and 255 Nm of torque became 213 Hp (being a 15% increase over OEM claimed and 52% over dyno output) and 347 Nm of torque (being a 36% increase over OEM claimed or measured). :shock:

I don't really care what the power figures say , I'm not high speed on an autobahn; a 36% increase in torque is very noticeable.

Do I love the change - without a doubt! :D
GTB Liberty

Postby Kekotic » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:18 pm

Far out man, huge power increase....
Glad to see you have it figured out. (mostly)

Can't wait until cloning becomes legal, multi-state PHAT GT here we come...
Kekotic
-stickered-

Car: MY07 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13066

Postby champ » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:55 am

chaotic2050 wrote:Can't wait until cloning becomes legal, multi-state PHAT GT here we come...

Did Phat really came out to the wild west?
champ
-stickered-

Car: MY07 GT Spec.B Tuned by STi 6MT OBP

Postby GTB Liberty » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:24 pm

champ wrote:
chaotic2050 wrote:Can't wait until cloning becomes legal, multi-state PHAT GT here we come...

Did Phat really came out to the wild west?

Not that I am aware of . . . only a phone call away though :)
GTB Liberty

Postby GTB Liberty » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:59 am

Well, another update: Grimmspeed 3 port has arrived, Cusco Brake stopper is ordered, and a SMG Motorsport AOS is ordered. on my way to sorting out the Brembos (big thanks to Laurie).

In the end I hope all the plans come together.
GTB Liberty

Cusco Brake Stopper / Support

Postby GTB Liberty » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:34 pm

Thanks to J-Style for the new Cusco gear - all in with the obligatory loss of spacers into the front quarter panel, dropping of bolts and nuts and commando crawls under the vehicle to find :oops:

Front M6 bolt required jacking the car up to get some space around the front wheel and suspension to get hands and spanners in there.

Took some time and subtle taps to get it adjusted correctly so that the support bolt lined up correctly with the angle of the brake cylinder. Finger tight ONLY on the support bolt as it's a support / stop not the designed to "push in". Going to recheck in a day or so that everything is where it should be still.

Can you tell, yea the brake pedal feels less spongy I guess . . . maybe but sure adds to the under bonnet bling. :lol:
GTB Liberty

PreviousNext

Return to Post your mods