09 XT Forester

Show off what mods you've done to your car.

Re: 09 XT Forester

Postby TMP243 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:30 am

Bit of an odd one which I’m sure is completely unnecessary, but I lack the grey matter to find a solution.
My ‘Water to Air’ heat exchanger has twin Spal fans mounted to it for slow moving traffic. Using a hot wire sensor I measured the fans move the air at a speed of 19kmph, so an Arduino controller will switch off the fans at 20kmph when accelerating and switch back on below 20kmph.
I setup an oscilloscope in the car connected to the Speedometer input to measure the frequency at set speeds. Unfortunately at speeds below 30kmph it reads 30Hz which does not sit well with an Arduino (doesn’t like anything below 30Hz).
So all I could figure was to make my own tooth wheel and mount it on the diff flange. Then use a sensor to supply a much higher frequency at low speed.
I had the wheel water jet cut out from steel and then tac welded the two halves together so I could machine it. Once machined i just folded it in half to break the tac welds like a biscuit.
I mocked up the VSS bracket from MDF before sending the file off to be laser cut from stainless steal. Once folded into position it was then fusion welded together. (Will have everything plated black)

TMP243

Car: SH Forester

Re: 09 XT Forester

Postby bigBADbenny » Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:40 am

Your fit up is simply mind blowing!

I guess the tight tolerances allow fusing, less heat input & distortion?

The speed sensor might come in handy for other applications, eg a speed sense failsafe for eg water dribbler brake hat cooling for track use.
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Previous

Return to Post your mods