'08 BL9 2.5i. '91 BC6 awd and turbo conversion.

Show off what mods you've done to your car.

Re: '08 BL9 2.5i.

Postby rexhunta » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:53 pm

I just stole this off the internet, but this is my pcv valve location on my car. I tried to wiggle it out before, but doesn't want to come out.

This is where I am getting a bit confused with the whole do it one way or do it another way setup.

I think on the EJ20 I have, it does not have the PCV valve down here, just the pipe to connect a hose to and pcv must be up in the intake side somewhere?
rexhunta

Car: 2008 Gen 4 BL9, 1991 Gen 1 BC

Postby Yowie » Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:05 pm

If it's useful to you, a PCV from an EJ25 turbo looks like this:

That object in the centre is a "pill" that floats forward or backwards depending on whether the manifold is in vacuum or boost.

If you have no such thing on yours you can find (eg an NA engine might not need to account for boost conditions? someone better informed will know) you could grab a wrecker PCV and either repurpose an existing hose-to-manifold or drill & tap a thread into your alloy manifold to accept the turbo PCV?

EDIT - another forum member (turbo engine) has blocked his PCV and just runs the crank catch can to a pre-turbo pipe, apparently with no issues. I imagine that the off-boost crank vapour gas scavenging would not be as good, but blowby under those conditions is presumably not much anyway. That could be a simpler solution than trying to replicate factory routing.
Yowie

Car: SH Forester XT

Postby nvmylh » Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:18 am

If I'm picturing your engines system correctly; the red 'to intake manifold' arrow should go to a catch can inlet, then the outlet of that can goes to the manifold where that red line would normally go.

Then the yellow hose gets connected to the turbo inlet AFTER your MAF sensor. NOT after the turbo as it'll get boost pressure.

You 2 head ports and go to a catch can then to the turbo inlet (after MAF).

Then the only difference between yours and mine is that the PCV valve on mine is threaded into the manifold, so it sits AFTER the can catch. You might need to look at doing that as your can will see boost pressure then.

As long as there is nowhere for air to bypass the MAF then your car should idle and run fine.
nvmylh

Car: '08-H6-Wagon

Postby rexhunta » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:24 pm

So had a quick look at the other 2 manifolds I have, 1 being the ej20t and the ej251, the ej20 has the pcv in the place you have all mentioned.

Maybe when it's time to smash some head gaskets in i'll tap my intake mani and drop the pcv up there.

This morning put an order in for a Kobe 265 fuel pump, and i'll order a new filter for it tomorrow.
rexhunta

Postby rexhunta » Fri May 14, 2021 11:21 pm

Pump in, new fuel filter in.

Old ones that came out where pretty black so glad I got onto that. My fuel gauge shows half way, but i swear there's a lot more fuel in it then that. When I get a chance i'll completely fill it and see how much more it takes, I actually have never filled the car since owning it :lol: probably done under 200 kms, including driving it home the day I got it, which was November 12th.
rexhunta

Postby Yowie » Sat May 15, 2021 7:37 am

...When I get a chance i'll completely fill it...

You'd be doubling the value of the car at current petrol prices.
Yowie

Postby rexhunta » Sat May 15, 2021 9:37 am

Yowie wrote:
...When I get a chance i'll completely fill it...

You'd be doubling the value of the car at current petrol prices.

Not nice.

2/3rds higher :lol:
rexhunta

Postby MiguelsCar » Mon May 17, 2021 2:14 pm

I can see good progress with this build, it seems like you are on the right track with a bit of problem along the way.
MiguelsCar

Car: 2012 Subaru Outback 4DR

Postby rexhunta » Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:25 pm

MiguelsCar wrote:I can see good progress with this build, it seems like you are on the right track with a bit of problem along the way.

Thanks

So Tactrix came in, I have ordered a AEM wideband that has the odb2 piggyback as well.

Had a play with romraider, got it to start reading, still trying to learn the LV section, seems like I don't have the right code for the ecu, I can find the manual file but not the auto definition, the code is off by 1 number in the ecu Id, but i am not giving up now, will find it.

Anyway, here's a quick preview from the screen. This is after I had fixed a few things and cleared the ECU, went for a drive and back.

I get a code for a a misfire on cylinder 3 randomly, which ATM I putting it down to needing the valve cover gaskets changed as there seems to be a bit of oil hanging around there when I pull the lead out.

And a pic of the engine as is right now, I still need to do a shield for the pod filter to try and get some intake temps down, also maybe make the cooler piping tuck against the panel a bit more and try to get the pod away from the motor more. May extend my inlet tract but will pull temps away.

Also, as a good note, my gauge is reading just under 5 psi in 3rd on full pedal, and the logger has shown 4.79psi which is great, it's where I wanted to be.

Pete.
rexhunta

Postby Yowie » Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:43 pm

Very tidy engine bay there. Great stuff.
Yowie

Postby nvmylh » Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:06 am

I just sold my turbo ej251 outback which was actually running the stock 280cc injectors at the time.

I checked a datalog and it showed 5psi but the injectors were at like 100% duty cycle at over 4500rpm and a reasonble AFR (cant remember exactly what it was..). Will be interested to see what yours is like!
nvmylh

Car: '08-H6-Wagon

Postby rexhunta » Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:10 am

Yowie wrote:Very tidy engine bay there. Great stuff.

Thanks, only been pulled over at an rbt once so far and they didn't mention anything about it, so that's a good sign. The front mount is pretty hidden by the plate and the exhaust note is near on stock.

nvmylh wrote:I just sold my turbo ej251 outback which was actually running the stock 280cc injectors at the time.

I checked a datalog and it showed 5psi but the injectors were at like 100% duty cycle at over 4500rpm and a reasonble AFR (cant remember exactly what it was..). Will be interested to see what yours is like!

Once the wideband comes in I will log and check what it is against the duty cycle, I'm keen to see how rich the stock table is before I touch it.

Currently they're only on 62% @ 4500, so once I throw a little bit more fuel in, see what happens after that I guess. I don't mind throwing injectors at it, I have a close mate who works for Bosch so i'll get some through him. I think the pump is definitely helping that situation though, I'm even keen to grab another fuel pot and have a look at how to modify the FPR inside with one from another car and bump pressure up a bit out of the tank.

I am definitely happy with the Kobe 265 though, I thought it was going to whine and be a nuisance like all the Walbros and 040s/044s I've had, this is so nice and quiet.

Pete.
rexhunta

Postby rexhunta » Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:32 pm

Today got some time, swapped the middle muffler for a resonator, got a nicer tone, and slightly smaller lengthwise, seems as though I've now got more of the boxer sound thanks to the unequal length headers. Oil + Filter change done, I just wanted to give it a check and it's pretty good, no new things came out of the sump so that's good.

I've found my exhaust leak up the front now, got some new gaskets today from repco so hopefully they'll solve my issue. I'll get on that tomorrow, unfortunately now taking the dump pipe off is a pain as it has the factory o2 and the wideband sensor in it, but will deal with it.

Still plugging away at Learning View and Ecu Flash trying to sort out a definition for the car, although I am getting closer.

Pete.
rexhunta

Postby rexhunta » Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:47 pm

Got into town yesterday to Jaycar and grabbed some plugs and pins, and some spare wire. I was planning on giving this a go today.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=3505

A how to on how to add RCA input, Video Input, Sub control out, and few other options for the Kenwood deck.

Today got a free pass to the shed so I took it running.

I put all the harness together last night, and today pulled the interior apart. Was fairly easy to work out, and now I have full sub control from the stock HU, including it working in the Dolby Pro-Logic mode.

I also run a 4g Aereo cable kit from the battery to the boot, ran RCAs and an amp trigger from the deck, which in turn now powers a dual voice coil 12" in a box with a Sony Monoblock amp, all the gear I have had laying about from random cars. Also ground the handbrake signal while I had it apart so now dvds work while driving.

I've been chasing leaks with my shitass headers, so while I had a chance, just quickly zipped the stupid slip joints it had. Was definitely the main leak I could hear. I'll order some flexy pipe and get them replaced, or just actually replace the headers at some point, they were cheap as shit as I just wanted to make sure the car would work first before I spent decent money on them. In hindsight I'm actually probably better off getting a stock manifold and putting it on there.

Also got the Wideband itself in. It's an AEM. I got a pod from Auto Pro and cut it right down as the gauges are actually quite small. Mounted onto the colomn. Way out of everyone's view and in a good view for me to see.

been a pretty busy day !
rexhunta

Postby rexhunta » Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:59 pm

And last one.

:bad:

Thanks previous owner !
rexhunta

PreviousNext

Return to Post your mods