'08 BL9 2.5i. '91 BC6 awd and turbo conversion.

Show off what mods you've done to your car.

Re: '08 BL9 2.5i. '91 BC6 awd and turbo conversion.

Postby rexhunta » Mon Dec 26, 2022 1:05 pm

bigBADbenny wrote:Literally any inlet tract leak… try a diy smoke machine at a regulated 1-2psi with a bung in the inlet pipe after the airbox?
The throttlebody gasket has never given me grief though, on a GT it’s a whopper orange (nitrile?) oring.

I've got a vape using wrx neighbour, i'll get him over to blow some smoke through it and try it !

2.5i is a standard paper gasket type, thinking about deleting it and filling it with goo.
rexhunta

Car: 2008 Gen 4 BL9, 1991 Gen 1 BC

Postby rexhunta » Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:47 pm

That lasted a good week on the EJ253. Codes back, no vacuum leaks after a smoke test.

Compression Tested.

Time to look at choices.
Unrego, make it a autocross car.
Unrego, strip it.
Sell as is
Find a motor.

This point, going to pull the motor and have a look. Chances are grim but I'd say ringlands gone kaput.
rexhunta

Postby bigBADbenny » Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:41 pm

Interested to see if it’s ringlands, a valve or a head gasket.

Does it blow much smoke with the oil cap removed and free revved to 3k rpm?

Cover the engine with a rag/s in case it spits oil out the filler. :cray:
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby rexhunta » Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:59 pm

bigBADbenny wrote:Interested to see if it’s ringlands, a valve or a head gasket.

Does it blow much smoke with the oil cap removed and free revved to 3k rpm?

Cover the engine with a rag/s in case it spits oil out the filler. :cray:

I did not try that, i dropped the headers and had oil on cyl 3 so has to be head or ringland problem. I'll throw the headers back on monday morning and i'll give that a go, that should give me a reading if it's a bottom end problem ? Since i can't do a wet test.
rexhunta

Postby bigBADbenny » Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:44 am

It’s just a quick n dirty test really, I forgot to mention put a nitrile glove tightly over the filler, generally if it fills up with blowby over 3krpm or at all again it’s rings or heads.

Other tests involve taking valve cover off and use compressed air in a spark plug fitting, to see if the issue is valves or rings…
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby rexhunta » Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:39 pm

Been a busy week and a bit.

Dropped the motor out, took the head off, cyl 3 itself looked fine, no problems with the bore or top of the pistons etc.

Rolled the head over, set the exhaust valves shut, poured fuel down the ports.... and it came straight out. Tried Cyl 1s exhaust ports, all held. Bingo.

Dropped the head down the local machinists. Few days later, phone call, replaced 1 valve, reseated the rest on both cylinders.

Got it home, ordered another head gasket, studs, few bits and pieces. Had it all sitting there ready for this weekend.

This morning got up pretty early to beat the heat, ran a sharpening stone over the blocks surface, cleaned up all the surfaces. Got out the old arp torque pro paste and got to work. fitted the head to suit, got all the belts back on, reset the valve clearances, then as a quick test, got the breaker bar on the crank and compression tester on cyl 3, gave it a couple of spins, got 100 psi. Happy.

Bolted rest together, dropped the car down, got it to a point where i could hit the starter and check properly. 165psi on cyl 3. Perfect.

Rest of the car together, put it through a heat cycle while bleeding the coolant, all the bubbles settled, car idled perfectly, no roughness monitors, IAM was at .500, then after a restart went to 1.00. Awesome.

So couple of test drives, car runs nice. It's idling flat again, sounds all quiet. Tomorrow will throw it backup and do another nuts and bolts check, don't go back to work til wednesday so will throw a few kms on it around town.

Pete.
rexhunta

Postby Yowie » Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:09 pm

Great stuff. The project almost looked like it had a serious setback for a minute there.
Yowie

Car: SH Forester XT

Postby RX25SE » Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:16 pm

Nice work!

rexhunta wrote:Dropped the head down the local machinists. Few days later, phone call, replaced 1 valve, reseated the rest on both cylinders.

Did they mention if the valve was bent or burnt?
RX25SE

Car: MY07 30RB 6sp Wag

Postby rexhunta » Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:54 am

RX25SE wrote:Nice work!

rexhunta wrote:Dropped the head down the local machinists. Few days later, phone call, replaced 1 valve, reseated the rest on both cylinders.

Did they mention if the valve was bent or burnt?

on Cyl 3 1 exhaust valve burnt beyond being able to be machined, 2nd valve was savable. Cyl 1 they just reseated both.
rexhunta

Postby rexhunta » Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:19 pm

Yowie wrote:Great stuff. The project almost looked like it had a serious setback for a minute there.

Being just a work hack now, i didn't mind what direction it went, but i'm glad It was repairable, it's actually a decent car to drive, it's 25 mins highway driving to the refinery from my house so the climate control and cruise control make it a good drive. I've got a half decent stereo in it so it's a nice drive.
rexhunta

Postby rexhunta » Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:16 pm

Yesterday put about 100kms on the car running into town a few times.

This morning gave it all a quick once over, no coolant or oil loss/mix, threw the laptop on, all good.

Pete.
rexhunta

Postby rexhunta » Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:06 pm

Onto some slightly better BC news.

and decided to paint the cooler black to hide it a bit more. Don't mind the dust and sticky residue on the bumpers, I haven't cleaned it properly yet.

Car hasn't been buffed or anything yet, Painted last friday and got the front end on and that's about it. Hopefully Mond/Tues I'll get a few more trims and some of the interior back together. Roofliner goes into the upholsterer soon to be recovered, then I'll get the majority back in, whilst cleaning the suede trims and shit as I go.
rexhunta

Postby rexhunta » Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:12 pm

try and keep this sort of along the timeframe i remember, but a lot has happened in the last month or so.

So I hated the paintwork I did, ended up finding a painter and sent it on it's way to him.

While that was happening, I tried to get the unis replaced in the RS driveshaft i had, but the engineering firm wouldn't split the cv or give me any warranty on any of it. After talking the bloke and working out options of the parts I had, and a few trips into town and about, he would use a 2 piece like what I had.

So went down to the wreckers, found a 2 piece shaft from a SF forry, the engineering mob replaced and machined all the unis for external clip types, extended the shaft 60mm to suit the gen 1 and rebalanced the lot.

While that was happening as well, I sent out my old saggy headliner to an upholsterer, and got it recovered and looking a lot better. Here it is as I was putting it back in.

I got all the parts back, got the car home, got it altogether, got it down the alignment shop and it's done atm until I can get it tinted. I've cruised a leisurely 150km so far, and imho it's been great. I'll probably end up swapping out the coilovers to something else after christmas, and the paint needs a good buff/clean. Hopefully get it tinted next week or so, and also need to get the air-con regassed at some point cause summer is cooking atm. Also got the number plates remade, these are the original plates that came on the car, but when it was new they came out with some real ugly yellow background/black writing, I got them remade into white background/black writing, and imho it sets it off and compliments the wheels.

the induction noise is crazy, suits the note quote well which is a deep rumble, no rasp at all. The wheels came up great after a sandblast and coat in the silver wheel spray, imho they suit the colour quite well. So glad I painted the intercooler black, it's so hidden when looking at the front.

Pete.
rexhunta

Postby Stifull » Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:28 pm

Nice build !
Current Subarus
07 Liberty GT (mine) 180kwt on 16lb
98 WRX Club Spes 2 with 2.5ltr upgrade(mine) sub 14 sec
99 Ver 6 Sti also with 2.5ltr upgrade (son) sub 14 sec
02 WRX Bugeye Hatch lots of goodies(wife)
09 Non Turbo Impreza(daughter#4)
Previous
98 GC8 WRX Hatch(daughter#1)
02 Bugeye WRX (daughter#2)
Stifull

Car: '07 Liberty GT '98 WRX CS2 2.5ltr

Postby Yowie » Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:19 pm

What an awesome sleeper.

Very easy to underestimate by the look of it. Even the noise might not give it away - chuck a P-plate on it an people will assume the poor kid owner can't afford a fast car so has put a noisy muffler on the ex family sedan. :lol:
Yowie

Car: SH Forester XT

PreviousNext

Return to Post your mods