Member Profile - Craig's '08 Spc.B wagon

Show off what mods you've done to your car.

Re: Member Profile - Craig's '08 Spc.B wagon

Postby nvmylh » Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:00 am

haha yea I've been looking for an excuse to make one for years. Something in between the level of these 2 is goal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewU8zWnuE3s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5TsK2Sp-aM&t=6s
nvmylh

Car: '08-H6-Wagon

Postby SuperS0nic » Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:54 pm

I haven't gone beserk with a lock up since converting although it seems to be working fine as is. When I manual converted my Bugeye Impreza the ABS stopped working and the light came on so I did swap that pump on that car for a manual one and it worked after that. My Legacy has the original still but the light hasn't come on and it's not acting like the ABS isn't going so I can only assume it's sweet.

In regards to that adaptor plate, I noticed that the one Al from the Skid Factory made was identical to yours, possibly its a 3.0 vs 2.0/2.5 thing? I know the boxes are slightly different between them. Another consideration is that prefacelift crossmembers are different again as they are a boxed in piece and the flange is different. I was keen to make a few of the adaptors for sale but that kind of shot down that idea because there's too much variation.
2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Spec.B NZ New
Manual Converted
EJ257
SuperS0nic

Car: 2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Spec.B

Postby SuperS0nic » Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:47 am

Just did some lockup testing on the way to work, ABS still works as normal
Manual Converted
EJ257
SuperS0nic

Postby nvmylh » Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:22 am

Good to hear!

I finally got around to finishing off another little side project. Replaced the cats with 2.25" magnaflow 300cell units, twin 2" SS tube into a 2.25" flange and donut. The rest is still the stock mid section and WRX STI rear mufflers. Doesnt sound too bad, seems louder in the videos than when standing beside it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jx-BIY-g_H8
Attachments
20210829_101534-2.jpg
20210829_101534-2.jpg (224.02 KiB) Viewed 4051 times
nvmylh

Postby SuperS0nic » Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:31 pm

Sounds wicked, really rips at the top end
Manual Converted
EJ257
SuperS0nic

Postby nvmylh » Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:31 pm

I only went to 6000RPM too, trying to go easy'ish on this motor :wink:

You can really hear when the VVT opens up, decent change in note. Also there's no resonator and a 3" SS tube from the stock airbox to the throttle body.
nvmylh

Postby BMCracer » Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:57 pm

Yowie wrote:
As far as I know it's the original standard radiator. I bought the car at 139,000km. Now at 183,000. Never a problem per se, but the IAM is terrible and it seems to run around 95-96 water temp, and wondering if that is making it ping? I run it on 98, but even with octane booster it still isn't very happy. Wondering if ( hoping ) lower temps will reduce / stop the pinging ( if that is actually what is causing the problem ) and consequently stop the ECU from pulling all the timing out of it and making it feel like a NA 1300?

Do you still have stock headers on your 3 litre? There is a Skid Factory video where Turbo Yoda / Alan comments to the effect that the stock headers (designed to heat cats for emissions) cause a lot of pinging.

In terms of your main question - in theory lower coolant temps should give you more headroom before knock sets in.

So my hand was forced a couple of months ago, when the one of the top radiator hoses had a pinhole in it. So while I had the radiator drained to chase the hoses, I took the opportunity to change the thermostat. I got the AA230 one, the 91 degree unit. I bought 2x 5L of the long life green ( not the ultra long life blue ) coolant from the local Subaru stealership, and bled the system according to posts on various forums. Didn't have any trouble, not like it has been made out to be. Sure it took a bit of time, but that was it.

With the new thermostat, it's made quite a difference to the engine. Now the car runs around 91 degree on suburban roads, 89 degrees on the motorway, and I haven't seen it get over 95. It used to run normally at 96-97, 95 on the motorway ,and I have seen it at 102 in summer. So it's running much cooler now, and the engine obviously appreciates it as the IAM is now sitting at 0.531. Still not where it should be, but much improved.

I have the radiator flushed and refilled in NZ before I brought the car over to OZ, and I used to hear the odd gurgle from the dash / firewall area at various times. It was not a Subaru shop, but a very reputable independent shop who I've had dealings with over a long period. Since I replaced the top hoses and refilled and bled the system myself, no more gurgles. So I'm thinking it wasn't bled properly the last time, and maybe that is why I think it's got a blown left hand head gasket. You can't tell to drive it, but it leaks oil that it never used to from I think the rocker cover, and around the head gasket area. I'm just going to keep running it while it's still going, hopefully it'll keep going for a while until I can round up all the bits for a Commodore LS and 6 speed auto swap.
2007 NZ new 3.0 Spec B 5EAT wagon in Brilliant Silver 39D
BMCracer

Car: NZDM MY07 3.0R Spec B 5eat Wgn

Postby bigBADbenny » Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:33 am

Can you make and share a datalog? Might provide some insight into why the iam is down.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=36932&p=452065#p452065

:good:
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby nvmylh » Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:09 am

BMCracer, thats awesome about the thermostat. I ordered one ages ago but havent used it yet.

BigbadBenny: I actually put the stock airbox/pipe back on last week for a vicroads inspection (engine number updated and now listed as a manual trans), the IAM jumped up to .334 and has not moved since. It used to stay around 0.0-0.1, occasionally going up to 0.5 but if the engine got up to 95C and over say 3000rpm, it would drop straight back down to 0.0, strange..

I'm not too worried about it these days. This engine needs the timing chain guides done pretty badly (plus its done 185,000km), I'm holding out for the rebuilt motor and that CNC machine project actually happened which took up most of my spare time. :wink:

My only other update is that these are painted and fitted with PS5's, just waiting on new wheel nuts.

20220423_135312-2.jpg
20220423_135312-2.jpg (240.37 KiB) Viewed 2865 times

20220423_135321-2.jpg
20220423_135321-2.jpg (245.37 KiB) Viewed 2865 times
nvmylh

Postby JezzaH6 » Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:35 pm

Damn I'm jealous- a CNC project is a big dream of mine one day! Would be very keen to see what you came up with

In saying that, the access to cheap CNC manufacturing in China has been a good stop-gap for me in the short term, especially for smaller components. I got two of these brackets made up for less than $200 shipped, cut from billet 6061!

Interesting to hear that the stock air box brought your IAM up a bit- any theories on this?

Your wheels look really clean! Would also be very interested to hear your opinion on the new Pilot Sport 5's- I've only heard good things so far!

I have also been playing around with thermostats- I put in a Tridon 'High Flow' 84c thermostat (IIRC it was a TT294-183). I did this to try and bring my oil temps up on the freeway, as while driving long distances my oil would barely be touching 80c. Testing it on the stove compared to both the stock EZ30 AA080 and the GT AA072 thermostats showed that it isn't just marketing- the valve does have about 8% more open area when fully open versus the OEM thermostats. I haven't had this in the car for that long, but at this stage it cruises at about 89c, and has brought my oil up to 88-90c on the freeway, which I am really happy with. Haven't had the car on track yet, but through the hills I haven't gotten it above 92c, which is interesting in itself as with the stock thermostat on that road I would be at about the same temp. As long as the thermostat is fully open the maximum coolant temp is only limited by your radiator's thermal dissipation capabilities, so hopefully this setup holds up when on track, and this thermostat definitely seems to be flowing more coolant making the cooling system more efficient as soon as it starts to warm up.

Interesting it has dropped my fuel consumption noticeably too- between 0.4 and 0.6l/100km less on the freeway drive to uni! Need to check my IAM too as the car does seem to be running better now that it's running a bit warmer.
2007 Subaru Liberty 3.0r-b 6MT
JezzaH6

Car: 2007 3.0r-b 6MT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=36687&p=450058#p450058

Postby nvmylh » Mon May 02, 2022 1:26 pm

Thats real cheap. What caliper is that bracket for? I'm hoping to make mounts for my touareg 6 pots soon.

This mine so far, so much learning to do! I got it to a stage where I could use the machine to make the last few parts. I'll try get some videos or something on youtube soon. The couple of parts I did were within about 0.04mm, but this will improve once I've put it back together.

I've never really had a good set of tyres before so its a bit hard for me to give you useful info. So far they are more quiet and smooth than my last set!

nvmylh

Postby nvmylh » Tue May 03, 2022 11:08 am

As it sits!

Word of warning: if changing from stock spec.B rims to STI, check your nuts for wear! The stock spec.b rims have steel inserts and the STI rims do not. My original wheel nuts were fairly worn and had a decent step/lip on the taper. This left a tiny contact patch/area when using those nuts on the STI rims. I ordered new wheel nuts, rechecked the contact area (using black texta) and it was much better. Not sure how many people have noticed this as everyone on FB just reuses their existing nuts. But it didn't sit right with me..

nvmylh

Postby JezzaH6 » Tue May 10, 2022 6:04 pm

nvmylh wrote:Thats real cheap. What caliper is that bracket for? I'm hoping to make mounts for my touareg 6 pots soon.

Managed to get my hands on a full set of open-box AP Racing calipers (front and rear)! The fronts are for a WRX STi, but the rears were somewhat unknown and didn't come with working brackets. 355mm front rotors, 345mm rear rotors means it's quite a tight fit, but it does fit and works really well.

nvmylh wrote:This mine so far, so much learning to do! I got it to a stage where I could use the machine to make the last few parts. I'll try get some videos or something on youtube soon. The couple of parts I did were within about 0.04mm, but this will improve once I've put it back together.

Your machine looks great! Would definitely be keen to see it in action- something like that is right at the top of my list of things I would like to build. What motion control system are you running in it?

nvmylh wrote:I've never really had a good set of tyres before so its a bit hard for me to give you useful info. So far they are more quiet and smooth than my last set!

That's fair- hopefully they serve you well. Your car looks great with the STi wheels!
JezzaH6

Postby nvmylh » Wed May 11, 2022 9:40 am

Using UCCNC and an AXBB-e for the control system, then fusion 360 for creating the machining programs. Bought the stepper motors from omc-stepperonline.com, ballscrews from DY-global on ebay, linears rails from japan (through import monster) and the spindle is a Jianken JGH-105/2.2 (2.2kw).

Baby no.2 is holding up machine time lately! Hopefully get some videos and parts done soon.

Those brakes are awesome, I noticed how much they fill your wheels from the facebook post. Funny how some people completely missed the point on why you installed them!

Hopefully I'll be able to make decent use of my brakes if I ever get the chance to finish them, still have a slight clash with the STI rims at the moment.
nvmylh

Postby JezzaH6 » Fri May 13, 2022 11:59 am

That's very cool! I would have never thought to use import monster to import things from Japan that aren't car parts- I will definitely store that information somewhere.

Thanks I'm really happy with how they turned out. Still needs some tinkering but overall I'm definitely happy with them, and the brake feel is great as you would expect. It is very interesting to hear different people's opinions- not the sort of reaction I would have expected but I can see the perspective. At the end of the day though your car is your own and different people have different expectations and goals.

That is interesting- what are they interfering with?
JezzaH6

PreviousNext

Return to Post your mods