Member Profile- 2007 3.0r-b sedan 65Z 6MT

Show off what mods you've done to your car.

Re: Member Profile- 2007 3.0r-b sedan 65Z 6MT

Postby bigBADbenny » Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:54 pm

JezzaH6 wrote:Shifter Shaft Seal Failure

Accelerating hard from the traffic lights and shifting quickly from first to second got me a nice strong burning gear oil smell (this happened at a similar time to the oil line failure- no idea why the car decided that month was the month it didn't want to hold fluids anymore)!

Thankfully this occurred not far from home, and a quick inspection showed only a small amount of gear oil leaked onto the hot exhaust. Limping the car home and getting underneath it showed the rubber section of the shifter shaft seal was torn, and on hard acceleration the gear oil sloshing to the back of the gearbox would leak out and splash onto the exhaust.

A replacement seal didn’t take long to arrive, and with the car up as high as possible on axle stands the work could begin. The gearbox undertray, exhaust, heat shield, tail shaft, gearbox support and shifter linkage all had to be removed just to give me a closer look. While people online stated the seal is removable with the gearbox in the car, I couldn’t find a way that I was confident wouldn’t scratch the sealing surface or damage the shifter shaft.

I ended up pulling the rear casing off the gearbox, which meant I was able to correctly press out the old seal, as well as inspect the internal condition. It also let me have a look at the centre diff- as this is a DCCD unit I was definitely keen to see what it looked like (even if it was ultimately pretty unimpressive looking)!

The shaft seal replacement was uneventful, but what was really annoying was trying to get all the internal oil trays lined up again. The stock gearbox used an oil pump, but the replacement gearbox relies on splash lubrication, so getting these trays lined up was critical. Trying to hold these in place, as well as correctly routing the DCCD wiring and holding the split shaft bearings in place was difficult, and ended up taking many attempts. I found a trick using petroleum jelly to hold it together; testing this in a gear oil sample showed it dissolved completely with no signs of incomplete mixing.

Eventually it all came together, and with the sealant dry everything else could be reassembled and the gearbox filled with oil. This seems to have fixed the problem, and the back of the gearbox has remained dry since.

While everything was apart anyway I took the opportunity to rebuild the shifter linkage. I have replaced the bushings in the past, but had noticed these were already showing signs of wear, so I had another set waiting for the next time I was in there. I had never removed the lower shifter pivot, however, and the grease in that was pretty crusty. The pivot cup hold-down has an o-ring in it for some compliance which was quite crushed- replacing the grease and the o-ring, as well as the new shifter bushes, has really improved the shifter feel.

I haven’t seen too many examples of this seal failing, and I am not sure why this one decided to. The kms are relatively low for the age of the box, so potentially it had sat for a while, but since installing it has done numerous track days and lots of other driving with no signs of failure. Who knows.

Wow and kudos for ruling your mechanical “setbacks”, or as I refer to my own: mechanical “opportunities” :P

The post is serendipitous for me as I need to do all the gearbox linkage knuckles and bushes, and I’m not sure what I’ll find with the audm my07 STi shift knuckle double roll pins. There’s an awesome Corgiwerks post I’ll dig up for context.

But the point being, it’s potentially good practice to replace this seal when doing a major overhaul and clutch job?

If the box was fully dropped then removing the rear section might be unnecessary?
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Re: Member Profile- 2007 3.0r-b sedan 65Z 6MT

Postby JezzaH6 » Mon Jun 19, 2023 2:44 pm

Wow and kudos for ruling your mechanical “setbacks”, or as I refer to my own: mechanical “opportunities” :P

Hahaha opportunities is a great word to use here- and it is a great opportunity to learn something new. Just wish it didn't all happen at the same time :lol:

I’m not sure what I’ll find with the audm my07 STi shift knuckle double roll pins

Have done these more times than I'd like to admit, and honestly haven't really had any issues with them. Take the time to get things out of the way to make your life easier, and have a few different sizes of punches, and a relatively small hammer, ready to go and they should just come straight out. Even easier if you can find a set of longer punches.

But the point being, it’s potentially good practice to replace this seal when doing a major overhaul and clutch job?

If the box was fully dropped then removing the rear section might be unnecessary?

I would 100% recommend replacing this seal if the gearbox is out. It is possible to do with the box in the car, but it's way more difficult and time consuming. I would still do it by removing the rear section of the gearbox- I'm still not confident that it could be removed with the shaft installed without risking scratching any of the sealing surfaces. With the gearbox out of the car though it could be stood upright on the bellhousing when reassembling- this is the way the gearbox is assembled in the factory and means gravity is holding all the oil guides and bearings in place, which would make it incredibly easy to line everything up again.

The part that makes it difficult in the car is gravity is pulling the oil guides and bearings out of alignment, whereas with the gearbox standing upright gravity is holding these parts in the orientation they are supposed to be in.
2007 Subaru Liberty 3.0r-b 6MT
JezzaH6

Car: 2007 3.0r-b 6MT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=36687&p=450058#p450058

Previous

Return to Post your mods