Member Profile- 2007 3.0r-b sedan 65Z 6MT

Show off what mods you've done to your car.

Re: Member Profile- 2007 3.0r-b sedan 65Z 6MT

Postby JezzaH6 » Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:23 pm

Winton 16-12-2022

I need to make the time to take the car on track more.

It has been over a year since I last had the car on track, which is unfortunate. Thanks to Covid it has been an absolutely hectic year, but when I got a message saying a few mates were heading to Winton, even with a different crowd (Winton Drive School, rather than EXE Crew or Track For Days) I knew I had to make the time to get the car on track at least once in 2022. At this time of the year it was hard to get the time off to both prep the car and actually attend, but I am really glad I was able to make it.

Track Day Prep

Coolant tank relocation

My stock coolant overflow tank was a very tight fit against the front of the timing case thanks to the thick triple core 42mm radiator, to the point where there would be very limited airflow around the passenger side of the engine and causing a large reduction in total airflow through the radiator on that side. I had already tried to solve this problem by closing as many of the gaps around the radiator as possible with self-adhesive closed cell foam and aluminium plates, but previous track days have still seen the coolant hit 100c+ after only 2 or 3 hot laps.

To try and increase airflow through the radiator I decided to relocate my coolant overflow tank. The stock one is tall, thin and doesn’t have great mounting options, so I ended up purchasing a generic aluminium 1l tank to re-purpose into holding the extra coolant. This was mounted to the passenger side shock tower with an aluminium bracket, meaning the alarm siren had to be relocated to the firewall.

As this is just to catch the coolant overflow the vertical position of the tank isn’t critical. The tank came with some clear tubing to act as a sight glass, and I marked the ‘full’ position by filling it up from the old tank and marking the level with a piece of heat shrink. A new longer hose was run from the radiator fill neck to the new bottle, and the fitting was modified with a piece of soft tubing epoxied into it to ensure it can pick up coolant even if the level is low. The vent port was connected to a line and wrapped up and over the tank to help prevent coolant from sloshing out.

Thermostat replacement

I had noticed an interesting trend after installing the much thicker radiator, which at 42mm thick and three cores holds almost 4 times the amount of coolant as the stock radiator. For general driving, if I drop it down a gear or two and accelerate hard the coolant temp dropped by 8-12c, before relatively slowly coming back up to operating temperature.

My theory here was the stock thermostat wasn’t allowing for enough coolant flow through the radiator to make use of the vast increase in volume; this was backed up with thermal images showing the drivers side of the radiator (the opposite side to the coolant hoses) was a good 10-15c cooler than the passenger side. By suddenly increasing the engine rpm, and thus subsequently increasing the water pump rpm, there was a flow-rate spike in the coolant system which caused the colder coolant the get sucked into circulation, decreasing the overall system temperature.

I swapped over to to a Tridon ‘High Flow’ thermostat (TT294-190), which after testing in a pot of boiling water showed an increase in area when fully open by about 12% compared to the factory one. As an added bonus this thermostat opens at a warmer temperature (88c vs 82c for the stock one), which will help bump up both coolant and oil temps for day-to-day driving for increased efficiency, while still allowing for more coolant flow when the car gets hotter- in theory at least.

Titanium brake shims

Mindful of the (relatively) small front pads and rotor rings of the AP Racing calipers I made a set of titanium shims to try and help prevent the brake fluid from boiling. Titanium is quite a poor conductor of heat, so even this thin 1mm shim should help prevent a significant portion of brake heat from being transferred to the brake fluid.

This was surprisingly easy to cut; a good set of tin snips made short work of the thin stock. The calipers were bled with Motul RBF660 as well to help fight fluid fade.

5203-2RS bearing replacement

From experience the 5203-2RS double row ball bearings don’t seem to last quite as long as the stock single row bearings in the serpentine belt idlers, and I had noticed mine getting a bit noisier over the last few months. When I initially did the upgrade I got a good deal on 6; the replacements are my last 2 giving a lifespan of only 1.5 years or so. Admittedly they see high sustained rpm in this car, but these angular contact ball bearings will also have more friction than the stock single row bearings and I will be switching back to the stock idler pulley bearing configuration when this pair are inevitably worn out. Hopefully the single row bearings will hold up to the RPM's better.

The track day itself

Weather wise this was one of the most perfect track days I have ever been to; starting around 16c and hitting a maximum of 26c and no rain in the area for a few days I was quietly confident that the car would hold up well.

The event itself was a lot busier than I am used to, however, with close to 80 entrants spread across 5 sessions. To make it even harder the first session was dedicated to actual race cars, including open wheelers, which although really cool to watch meant the rest of the street cars were jammed into the remaining 4 sessions. This put me in the second fastest street car session which also made for an interesting challenge.

Given the very wet winter and the long time since the last track day I felt incredibly rusty, but this didn’t stop the car from performing! The traffic meant I was unfortunately not able to set a new personal best, but my optimum time on racechrono throughout the day is actual 0.13s faster than my current PB; given the traffic and my lack of confidence I was decently happy with this!

Learning experiences- the most interesting part!

The coolant tank relocation made an enormous difference to the maximum operating temperature reached by the car, as well as how quickly the temperatures recovered! By removing the restriction to airflow down the passenger side of the engine there was a significant increase in total airflow through the radiator, and the coolant never got above 97c (in 26c ambient, with the heater set to max and the blower motor on setting 3).

This is still very hot, but compared to previous track days this is awesome news, and the car could be pushed as hard as possible for an entire 15 minute session without even having to think about engine temperatures. The car also noticeably cooled down on the straights; previous days it barely managing to drop 1 or 2c coolant temp on the main straight, but this time dropping a good 4-5c on the straights. Oil temps were similarly perfect, hitting a maximum of 129c.

I was a bit concerned about the higher opening temperature of the thermostat. This has cause the car to run slightly warmer for day to day driving, averaging 88-90c on the highway compared to 84-86c with the stock thermostat. This hasn’t been an issue in traffic, there is just less of a gap between the thermostat opening and the fans coming on. It held up perfectly on the few occasions I’ve been able to drive through the hills, but as I have learnt in the past that is a poor comparison to how hot a car gets on track.

In theory the maximum temperature of an engine is limited by radiator surface area and how quickly it can dissipate the heat, rather than the thermostat opening temperature. I was hoping this would be the case, but as everyone normally suggests a colder temperature thermostat if a car is running hot I was curious to see if I was right.

I’m not quite sure why people recommend colder thermostats; on the surface I can see why it makes sense but looking into how an engine cooling loop works it is clear that the maximum temperature is limited by the thermal dissipation of the radiator, not the opening temperature of the thermostat. Once the thermostat is fully open there is no more restriction to coolant flow and engine cooling, regardless of what temperature this is happening at.

I have noticed a small increase in fuel economy as well; not sure if this is a placebo or not, and it’s only about 0.2-0.4l/100kms on longer highway trips, but a hotter engine is more efficient on paper so it does kind of make sense. The hotter operating temperature also helps keep the oil temperatures in check in the cooler months we’ve had here in Melbourne.

The downside to this increase in hot air flowing down the passenger side of the engine is now everything there gets way hotter! The battery, fusebox, wiring loom and even the clutch slave cylinder were significantly hotter than they normally get; I will have to keep an eye on them. It also managed to melt the fittings out of the ABS body of the alarm siren! Luckily nylon cable ties held up a lot better and will probably end up being the long term solution.

The most interesting modification since the last track day is definitely the AP Racing brakes. Paired with RBF660 and titanium shims the brake pedal felt amazing for the entire day, with zero sign of the pedal softening even when the brakes got really hot. The paint on the calipers held up amazingly well, with the two pack clear coat holding up great.

There was one absolutely massive oversight in the setup, however, and I can’t believe I didn’t think of it beforehand. I had Intima RS pads installed in the REAR brakes, as these are a carbon track pad with less cold friction, to try and help bring the brake bias to a reasonable level for the street. With Intima SR (fast street pads, better cold performance) at the front the bias for street driving was perfect, and they held up for about 4 hot laps without any problems. The car pulled up really well, with a very confidence inspiring pedal feel and they were actually able to lock up hot AR1’s, which is not something I have experienced before and made it fun to use the brakes to initiate a slide.

The problems started after the fourth hot lap. Even with such large rotors, the (relative) small pad size meant the not-track-optimised SR pads were starting to fade. This would have been fine, except for the fact that the RS pads at the rear where right at their optimum temperature. This meant the pedal was still firm, but all of a sudden the front brakes weren’t doing anything while the rear brakes were working better than they ever have before, causing sudden and unexpected oversteer while braking. The first time this happened was definitely a brown pants moment!

In hindsight this is really obvious, but it’s also not something I have experienced on the street which I guess lulled me into a false sense of security. Just goes to show how much more load track use puts on things compared to even fast street!

Thankfully I brought the AP Racing pads as spares with me as well; swapping these into the rear brakes would stop that problem from occurring, at the expense of fading out faster than better pads. I also turned down the activation pressure of the proportioning valves going to the rear calipers; at an educated guess it is now operating close to 70/30 F/R split.

This new setup worked really well, with a firm pedal and good stopping ability. This was let down by the lower performance AP Racing pads, which started to fade out after about 3 hot laps. Not the worst problem in the world to have, and given the traffic on the day a cooldown every couple of laps helped get out of the worst of the traffic.

After swapping pads (I didn’t bother swapping the titanium shims) there was a noticeable increase in caliper temperature- even though I swapped to a much less aggressive pad. Unfortunately I didn’t have my thermal camera with me, but the titanium shims were definitely preventing a significant amount of heat from transferring into the caliper. Whether this was at a detriment to pad temperature remains to be seen.

The Quiafe rear LSD held up phenomenally well, and the car has significantly more mechanical grip than stock these days. With the correct line the accelerator can be held flat throughout most corners, relying on DCCD and the limited slip differentials to hold the car on the line. I am really happy with the driveline setup of the car at this point in time!

Overall I am happy with how the car held up on the day, aside from a few minor niggles. The pad issues will definitely need to be solved before the next track day; thankfully that problem can be attributed to a (pretty massive) oversight, and pads are cheaper than many other problems that could have come up. My biggest learning experience, however, is that I need more seat time, and I really hope I can get on track again before another year passes.

Last edited by JezzaH6 on Fri Nov 24, 2023 4:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2007 Subaru Liberty 3.0r-b 6MT
JezzaH6

Car: 2007 3.0r-b 6MT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=36687&p=450058#p450058

Postby Yowie » Thu Dec 29, 2022 11:06 pm

Quality write-up!

Great to see the car get better and better for track days.
Yowie

Car: SH Forester XT

Postby bigBADbenny » Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:04 am

Bonkers!
Awesome you’re happy with the driveline setup!

I forget the exact type of diff, but is the Quaife a service item?
What’s your clutch and how is it holding up under duress?

Have you considered some diy aero to further improve track lap times?

There’s a video on Misha’s Nurburgring channel where someone’s VXR220 road holding is transformed with just an inverted aerofoil type front splitter and a large venturi tunnel out back, both pieces diyed by the owner in carbon kevlar.

On another note, do you use oscilloscopes in your mechatronic work?
I just found out about their usefulness in automotive diagnostics, and I’m obsessed lol. :swoon:
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby JezzaH6 » Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:01 pm

Yowie wrote:Quality write-up!

Great to see the car get better and better for track days.

Thanks! Was never the intention when I first got the car, but the challenge is good. Still wouldn't call it a track car, but it's at the point now where it is definitely a street car that is capable of being pushed on track, and what I've learnt getting here would be very hard to learn any other way.
JezzaH6

Postby JezzaH6 » Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:12 pm

bigBADbenny wrote:Bonkers!
Awesome you’re happy with the driveline setup!

It's definitely a lot of fun!

I forget the exact type of diff, but is the Quaife a service item?
What’s your clutch and how is it holding up under duress?

The Quaife is a gear-type lsd; aside from oil changes like any other differentials there is no special maintenance required.

Clutch is a Mantic 'Stage 1' heavy duty, paired with an Exedy lightweight flywheel. I really like the lightweight flywheel, but I don't think I would replace clutch with the same one as the pedal feel isn't amazing. The ability to very quickly change rpm through the hills and on track makes the lightweight flywheel so much fun, but I wouldn't recommend if you find yourself in stop start traffic often or for towing. Wear wise the clutch is holding up amazingly well- got about 50k kms of hard driving on it now and it shows no sign of imminent failure.

There’s a video on Misha’s Nurburgring channel where someone’s VXR220 road holding is transformed with just an inverted aerofoil type front splitter and a large venturi tunnel out back, both pieces diyed by the owner in carbon kevlar.

Not sure if that's a rabbit hole I want to go down at the moment, especially as the car is still my daily driver. If it wasn't it would be something to consider, although since it is still primarily a street car I do prefer to err on the side of subtle.

On another note, do you use oscilloscopes in your mechatronic work?
I just found out about their usefulness in automotive diagnostics, and I’m obsessed lol. :swoon:

Yep we use them all the time- and they are how I came to the conclusion of inadequate shielding being the primary cause of problems with the wheel slip monitoring on canbus cars for the SpiiderPro DCCD controller install. Definitely an incredibly useful too!
JezzaH6

Postby JezzaH6 » Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:37 pm

It’s always a pleasant surprise returning to your car and seeing a puddle!

As a perfect example of why you shouldn’t install an oil cooler if you don’t actually need one, my car decided to spring a leak in one of the lines feeding the oil cooler. This seems to have happened on the drive to work, as there was a nice mess underneath down the length of the car, and the residual pressure after turning the car off forced out another litre or so of oil into the front bumper and onto the car park.

Thankfully the design of pretty much any aftermarket oil cooler makes bypassing it relatively straightforward. A lift home and back let me grab some tools and the car park wrenching began.

The oil was drained by removing the filter, and then the sandwich plate was removed. Thankfully I had a spare sandwich plate without the oil cooler fittings so I could keep the pressure and temperature sensors. Reinstalling the oil filter and topping up the oil finished off the car park repair.

Unfortunately this experience covered the whole front-end of the car in oil, and I ended up pulling the bumper and all the front end plastics off to clean this up. While everything was apart the oil cooler and lines were also removed at this point; they would have likely slowly kept leaking if fitted and I wanted them out of the way.

I don’t really have a theory on why the line split in the location that it did. It’s not in a location that would see significant vibration, and is between two hose clamps so there is no movement in this location at all. The leak seems to be a small pinhole; no notable drop in oil pressure was observed. I will cut the line open in the future and have a look exactly where it failed.

Overall an annoying experience, but not something catastrophic as long as it is noticed in time. I am not planning on re-fitting the oil cooler at this stage; this was installed before the thicker rad and it is possible it is no longer *strictly* necessary- will just have to keep an eye on the oil temperature gauge. If necessary though new hoses will be assembled and the cooler reinstalled!
JezzaH6

Postby Yowie » Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:56 pm

How bizarre.

I assume your setup has the water-to-oil heat exchanger near the stock oil filter location?
Yowie

Car: SH Forester XT

Postby bigBADbenny » Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:50 pm

Very interested to see the failure mode, also how long in Km did it take the leak to develop?

Just great it didn’t end in a fire like so many h4 turbos with header wrap :swoon:

Not sure if that's a rabbit hole I want to go down at the moment, especially as the car is still my daily driver. If it wasn't it would be something to consider, although since it is still primarily a street car I do prefer to err on the side of subtle.

Agreed, I did mean track specific aero parts you might fit at the track, especially since track spec rims n tyres, pads etc could be swapped over at the same time, on stands. But I guess it might be well beyond your current scope, eg tracking an otherwise close to street setup ;)
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby nvmylh » Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:29 pm

Another awesome write-up Jeremy!

You've got me thinking about trying a tridon hi-flow now, since my engine runs pretty cool.
nvmylh

Car: '08-H6-Wagon

Postby RX25SE » Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:59 pm

As usual, another excellent technical write up!

Looking forward to the next one.
RX25SE

Car: MY07 30RB 6sp Wag

Postby JezzaH6 » Fri Jun 09, 2023 2:43 pm

Yowie wrote:How bizarre.

I assume your setup has the water-to-oil heat exchanger near the stock oil filter location?

Yeah really odd. And annoying. Thankfully going into winter I haven't seen the need to reinstall the cooler yet, although some blasts through the hills when the weather was warmer showed I definitely should before taking it on track again.

I am still running the factory coolant-to-oil heat exchanger- I would say for a street driven car this is absolutely essential to maintaining adequate oil temperatures over longer stints on the highway, as well as getting the oil up to temperature in a timely manner.
JezzaH6

Postby JezzaH6 » Fri Jun 09, 2023 2:46 pm

bigBADbenny wrote:Very interested to see the failure mode, also how long in Km did it take the leak to develop?

Just great it didn’t end in a fire like so many h4 turbos with header wrap :swoon:

Agreed, I did mean track specific aero parts you might fit at the track, especially since track spec rims n tyres, pads etc could be swapped over at the same time, on stands. But I guess it might be well beyond your current scope, eg tracking an otherwise close to street setup ;)

Still haven't had the chance to actually cut it up, but on a closer inspection it seems like the line failed on a moulding line in the rubber portion of the hose. A higher quality hose therefore should help prevent this from happening.

I am very happy it didn't result in a fire- I do have an extinguisher in the car but I would prefer to never have to use it!

I have thought about it, but the space to store it at home has been my biggest concern. Now that the Lib isn't my only car though it is an idea I have been thinking about...
JezzaH6

Postby JezzaH6 » Fri Jun 09, 2023 2:47 pm

RX25SE wrote:As usual, another excellent technical write up!

Looking forward to the next one.

Thanks! Hopefully will be able to post again soon- the car has broken more times than this :lol:

Just hard to find the time to write it all up.
JezzaH6

Postby JezzaH6 » Fri Jun 09, 2023 2:48 pm

nvmylh wrote:Another awesome write-up Jeremy!

You've got me thinking about trying a tridon hi-flow now, since my engine runs pretty cool.

Thanks! I just wish this was one I didn't have to write up :lol:

I saw you have looked at it on your thread- how have you been finding it so far?
JezzaH6

Postby JezzaH6 » Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:40 pm

Shifter Shaft Seal Failure

Accelerating hard from the traffic lights and shifting quickly from first to second got me a nice strong burning gear oil smell (this happened at a similar time to the oil line failure- no idea why the car decided that month was the month it didn't want to hold fluids anymore)!

Thankfully this occurred not far from home, and a quick inspection showed only a small amount of gear oil leaked onto the hot exhaust. Limping the car home and getting underneath it showed the rubber section of the shifter shaft seal was torn, and on hard acceleration the gear oil sloshing to the back of the gearbox would leak out and splash onto the exhaust.

A replacement seal didn’t take long to arrive, and with the car up as high as possible on axle stands the work could begin. The gearbox undertray, exhaust, heat shield, tail shaft, gearbox support and shifter linkage all had to be removed just to give me a closer look. While people online stated the seal is removable with the gearbox in the car, I couldn’t find a way that I was confident wouldn’t scratch the sealing surface or damage the shifter shaft.

I ended up pulling the rear casing off the gearbox, which meant I was able to correctly press out the old seal, as well as inspect the internal condition. It also let me have a look at the centre diff- as this is a DCCD unit I was definitely keen to see what it looked like (even if it was ultimately pretty unimpressive looking)!

The shaft seal replacement was uneventful, but what was really annoying was trying to get all the internal oil trays lined up again. The stock gearbox used an oil pump, but the replacement gearbox relies on splash lubrication, so getting these trays lined up was critical. Trying to hold these in place, as well as correctly routing the DCCD wiring and holding the split shaft bearings in place was difficult, and ended up taking many attempts. I found a trick using petroleum jelly to hold it together; testing this in a gear oil sample showed it dissolved completely with no signs of incomplete mixing.

Eventually it all came together, and with the sealant dry everything else could be reassembled and the gearbox filled with oil. This seems to have fixed the problem, and the back of the gearbox has remained dry since.

While everything was apart anyway I took the opportunity to rebuild the shifter linkage. I have replaced the bushings in the past, but had noticed these were already showing signs of wear, so I had another set waiting for the next time I was in there. I had never removed the lower shifter pivot, however, and the grease in that was pretty crusty. The pivot cup hold-down has an o-ring in it for some compliance which was quite crushed- replacing the grease and the o-ring, as well as the new shifter bushes, has really improved the shifter feel.

I haven’t seen too many examples of this seal failing, and I am not sure why this one decided to. The kms are relatively low for the age of the box, so potentially it had sat for a while, but since installing it has done numerous track days and lots of other driving with no signs of failure. Who knows.
JezzaH6

PreviousNext

Return to Post your mods