Member Profile - jawolf's MY12 Gen V Liberty GT

Show off what mods you've done to your car.

Re: Member Profile - jawolf's MY12 Gen V Liberty GT

Postby bigBADbenny » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:34 am

The only things I can suggest re timing belts, is a billet guide, properly set up, and the fancy RCM motorsport type tensioner with the extra wrap.
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby JAWolf » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:16 pm

bigBADbenny wrote:The only things I can suggest re timing belts, is a billet guide, properly set up, and the fancy RCM motorsport type tensioner with the extra wrap.

Will look into the tentioner/guides, hope the timing belt remains good *fingers crossed* she seems to be running well again. Happy to have the car back... And thank you for the suggestion

Link to the i2 log (hopefully my worksheet is there with nice displays for first 2 tabs)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/17H7XHk9BAVdGtyw14uLcsZd3LQ2O3Iy1/view?usp=drivesdk
JAWolf

Car: Gen V Liberty GT wagon
Profile URL: https://tinyurl.com/y3o238rd

Postby bigBADbenny » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:40 am

Cheers!
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby satogixxer » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:19 pm

JAWolf wrote:as yet my time with the car has been about 8500km of driving (4500km to kill shot peened/isf treated box , and 4000km once back to get to stripped timing belt - being replaced with Tomei one). Hopefully after this fix I'll be able to shoot for a year of trouble free (mechanically) driving too. So currently at 0 days since last incident (does the counter only start once you get the vehicle back )

Sorry to hear about the timing belt issue, but sounds like you have it sorted now so hopefully no more issues for you! I guess the incident counter should start when you have your car back. :wink:

JAWolf wrote:Curious do you get more vibration through the vehicle since going to the TY856(for me I get some between 2300-2800 under load, might try and work out if there is anything I can do to reduce)?

I definitely get a lot more vibration through the vehicle, but only a little would be attributed to the gearbox - and yes at lower RPM is more noticeable. Generally NVH is much increased due to a combination of things such as gearbox, clutch, engine mounts and obviously engine/cams etc. Most noticeable while idling especially when car is cold and warming up.

How do you find your twin plate? i.e. usability/noise etc. (it's an Exedy right??)
[Liberty GT MY10 6MT]: STI bits | STI Brembo's + Dixcel | DAMD D-shape | Cusco coilovers & sways | HKS LA clutch | BLITZ pod | Plazmaman FMIC | Deshele built EJ25 | Emtron ECU | BorgWarner EFR 7670 | 369kw atw
[Outback 3R MY04]: Stock as a rock
Profile video here
satogixxer

Car: '10 Liberty GT 6MT + '04 Outback 3R
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=20495

Postby JAWolf » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:31 pm

satogixxer wrote:Sorry to hear about the timing belt issue, but sounds like you have it sorted now so hopefully no more issues for you! I guess the incident counter should start when you have your car back. :wink:

Incident counter at 1(ONE) day (or should I say 30 hours which at least as number is far more impressive.

(the linked i2 dump included engine stopping , at 100 kmh - worst part was brakes required a lot of pressure as the engine wasn't assisting, and the steering is rather heavy with no assist - that timing belt ended a very bad day overall when it stuffed up!)

satogixxer wrote:I definitely get a lot more vibration through the vehicle, but only a little would be attributed to the gearbox - and yes at lower RPM is more noticeable. Generally NVH is much increased due to a combination of things such as gearbox, clutch, engine mounts and obviously engine/cams etc. Most noticeable while idling especially when car is cold and warming up.

How do you find your twin plate? i.e. usability/noise etc. (it's an Exedy right??)

For me I get most vibrations between 2100-2800 rpm (tinny sound, I'll see if it isn't something I can try somehow to quieten). I'm on STi inlet cams and stock exhaust, so it is pretty similar to stock, bar exhaust note change (used the legacy.com forums suggestion of STi inlet camshaft to get extra 1 mm of valve lift). On E85 cold starts on a cold day are an arse (sometimes 3 attempts needed before it starts- rarely had it on anything less than E20 ... so can't say how it is to start on 98). Guess that is part of "E85 life".

I am running an ORC 559 Metal Series Twin plate - in previous transmission I used the Xtreme clutch (but slipped between 3000-3600 in 4th :/) - so went for the "I don't want anything to go wrong option" and got a clutch that was higher rated than what I "needed" (didn't want to stuff around with trying something and it not being able to handle power delivered, then going through getting a new clutch... again). The clutch is loud when disengaged, like a really bad thrust bearing and quiet when engaged. The engagement is weird, it starts gripping at about 20% of clutch travel, and fully engages at 80% near top (and appears to be lightened, so hill starts are... not fun... but you are on boost :) ) The few times driving in traffic with it was not a huge amount of fun, but you do get used to it, and made it to the destination and back.
JAWolf

Postby Libacy Gt » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:12 pm

Excellent build, my type of car, the sleeper of all sleepers, must be an absolute beast on the road. My goal initally was 300kw, unfortunatley couldnt get there. Good luck ,
Libacy Gt

Car: Lib Gt Wagon Gen 5, 5EAT 2011
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=34162

Postby satogixxer » Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:40 am

JAWolf wrote:On E85 cold starts on a cold day are an arse (sometimes 3 attempts needed before it starts- rarely had it on anything less than E20 ... so can't say how it is to start on 98). Guess that is part of "E85 life".

Yes normally that's "E85 life" in most cases... don't know what's been done with the tune on my Emtron but surprisingly I don't seem to have cold start issues though. Even middle of winter with mornings here around 5C, car was starting first crank. So it may be possible to adjust your cold start tune for easier starts on E85 it seems. :?:

JAWolf wrote:I am running an ORC 559 Metal Series Twin plate - in previous transmission I used the Xtreme clutch (but slipped between 3000-3600 in 4th :/) - so went for the "I don't want anything to go wrong option" and got a clutch that was higher rated than what I "needed" (didn't want to stuff around with trying something and it not being able to handle power delivered, then going through getting a new clutch... again). The clutch is loud when disengaged, like a really bad thrust bearing and quiet when engaged. The engagement is weird, it starts gripping at about 20% of clutch travel, and fully engages at 80% near top (and appears to be lightened, so hill starts are... not fun... but you are on boost ) The few times driving in traffic with it was not a huge amount of fun, but you do get used to it, and made it to the destination and back.

I was originally running an Xtreme Clutch Ceramic twin plate for a while. Can't say I'm a fan, it was pretty horrible to use especially in traffic.

Now using the HKS LA twin plate - and for a twin plate it seems very friendly, almost like a stock clutch and makes driving in traffic quite bearable, and it's not too noisy either.

But it has been hard to know what is "normal" for this clutch too. For a long time, I could smell clutch burn smells and always worried that I'm misusing the clutch and wearing it out. But I'm told this is common for this clutch due to the material used. The burning smells seem to go away eventually, so now the worry will transition to "have I worn it out and how much life has it got left!!" Who the hell knows... :roll: :?

Still, I'd recommend trying the HKS LA twin plate if you end up looking for another clutch at some point. My experience with it has been generally good, it is easy to use for a twin plate and seems to have held fine in my car on dyno runs up to 350+kw.
[Liberty GT MY10 6MT]: STI bits | STI Brembo's + Dixcel | DAMD D-shape | Cusco coilovers & sways | HKS LA clutch | BLITZ pod | Plazmaman FMIC | Deshele built EJ25 | Emtron ECU | BorgWarner EFR 7670 | 369kw atw
[Outback 3R MY04]: Stock as a rock
Profile video here
satogixxer

Car: '10 Liberty GT 6MT + '04 Outback 3R
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=20495

Postby JAWolf » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:08 pm

satogixxer wrote:Yes normally that's "E85 life" in most cases... don't know what's been done with the tune on my Emtron but surprisingly I don't seem to have cold start issues though. Even middle of winter with mornings here around 5C, car was starting first crank. So it may be possible to adjust your cold start tune for easier starts on E85 it seems. :?:

Mine takes a bit, I'm up in the hills (get snow at times, and most days 2-3 degrees colder than at township) - most of the time it takes 2 goes. 1st time nearly turns over. Your tune seems to be done extremely well. Once it is running all is well (it revs at about 1500 on cold idle).

satogixxer wrote:I was originally running an Xtreme Clutch Ceramic twin plate for a while. Can't say I'm a fan, it was pretty horrible to use especially in traffic.

Now using the HKS LA twin plate - and for a twin plate it seems very friendly, almost like a stock clutch and makes driving in traffic quite bearable, and it's not too noisy either.

But it has been hard to know what is "normal" for this clutch too. For a long time, I could smell clutch burn smells and always worried that I'm misusing the clutch and wearing it out. But I'm told this is common for this clutch due to the material used. The burning smells seem to go away eventually, so now the worry will transition to "have I worn it out and how much life has it got left!!" Who the hell knows... :roll: :?

Still, I'd recommend trying the HKS LA twin plate if you end up looking for another clutch at some point. My experience with it has been generally good, it is easy to use for a twin plate and seems to have held fine in my car on dyno runs up to 350+kw.

I'll keep that in mind if I do have to replace the clutch one day(good thing is you should be replace clutch disks so bit nicer than normal clutches). I'm used to being able to not have to give much revs when disengaging clutch , so I think it is just me not doing what I'm supposed to ... ie. giving more revs. I've most of the time been using the 4.5L Landcruiser you can do almost anything and not stall it including feathering the clutch without throttle up inclines, so going to the Liberty is an extreme change. I've not had any clutch smells, but even today I stalled the thing (again, not enough throttle post partial engagement) I do wonder if I should be more abrupt with it.

She is running a lot better since the belt change (prior to the change there was a stutter at times under load in moderate revs say 2200-2700). So fingers crossed I can head towards your year of being trouble free. Being in country Victoria, I've been able to give a few runs go for a few drives - and getting confidence back (for a while after an issue you worry, some cars you get to a point where you say, nope that is enough and move on, like the Fiesta ST we had, had from new, bog stock, but had quite a few issues).

It is awesome knowing there is a gen 5 running over 350 awkw ... (your car is an inspiration, and love that you just kept at it to get to that stage with reliability, and not giving up on the project)

Are you at the point where time of non-failure = time to create higher chance of failure (ie. more modifications)? I think I need a while of driving before I could contemplate anything more, first I have to take the car to the track, I'm sure I'll find brakes are weak point in a real world situation(glad the timing belt happened before doing a track day).
JAWolf

Postby JAWolf » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:14 pm

Libacy Gt wrote:Excellent build, my type of car, the sleeper of all sleepers, must be an absolute beast on the road. My goal initally was 300kw, unfortunatley couldnt get there. Good luck ,

I hope your journey continues well- I will be following to see how it goes. At present, just getting confidence back, it is amazing fun when all going well, but thing like the timing belt, do make you cautious.
JAWolf

Previous

Return to Post your mods