Member Profile - nay's MY14 Liberty GT

Show off what mods you've done to your car.

Re: Member Profile - nay's MY14 Liberty GT

Postby LibertyTragic » Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:16 am

Nice to know the sti seats confirmed fit! Seen that mod on the US legacy GT forums but was never a closed case on potential mods required. Contemplating them myself now :)
LibertyTragic

Car: 2009 Liberty GT Premium
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=36145

Postby MadmanSean » Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:43 am

Ooh la la! Those VA STI seats really bring the interior into the current decade. Love em!
Subaru ECU Unbricking, Unlocking and Bench Flashing/Recovery service! Check out SICK CHIPS @ https://www.facebook.com/SickChips/
http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=35489
If you'd like to say thank you feel free to Buy me a coffee https://www.buymeacoffee.com/sickchips
MadmanSean

Car: 2007 Libert GT SpecB wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=33793

Postby nay » Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:40 pm

MadmanSean wrote:Ooh la la! Those VA STI seats really bring the interior into the current decade. Love em!

I agree! Provides a nice sporty, modern look :D
[MY14 Liberty GT 6MT]: Tuned by MSR Engineering | Invidia Q300 TBE | Whiteline F + R Sway Bar Kit | Exedy HD Clutch | HKS Super SQV4 | Silvers Neomax S
nay

Car: MY14 Liberty GT 6MT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=36098

Postby nay » Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:06 pm

Suspension issues!
Car developed a loud squeaking whilst coming to a stop. Although the lib is no stranger to occasional suspension squeaks, this was definitely new, consistent and much louder.

With the car up on the hoist it turns out the front LCA bushings were worn out and were the culprit for this new loud squeaking. Also, both whiteline front + rear adjustable endlinks were worn out causing some occasional squeaking.

In hopes to silence this squeaking, I decided to upgrade/replace a few suspension components:

- Upgrading OE front rubber LCA bushings to SuperPro Polyurethane bushings
- Replacing front + rear endlinks with non-adjustable whiteline ones (adjustable ones are commonly known to fail)
- Replacing current front + rear swaybar bushings with new ones.

ImageImage

With the new parts installed, I'm glad to report that all squeaking is now gone! The SuperPro Polyurethane bushings are a great replacement for the OE rubber ones. The car feels noticeably more stable whilst braking and it also resolved some "steering wander" which I thought was alignment related.

Boomba Short-shift plate
Decided to swap out the COBB Short shifter for the Boomba one instead. After trying and testing almost every aftermarket shifter plate (Perrin, Kartboy, COBB), this Boomba one is probably my favourite.

The reduction in throw is very similar to the previous ones, but the Boomba one is much smoother and less notchy - most likely a result of the increased weight of the plate.

The only downside is that I couldn't find any local retailer that stocked this part, so I had to order directly from the US. Such a shame because it's probably the best one for the lib/WRX.
[MY14 Liberty GT 6MT]: Tuned by MSR Engineering | Invidia Q300 TBE | Whiteline F + R Sway Bar Kit | Exedy HD Clutch | HKS Super SQV4 | Silvers Neomax S
nay

Postby Yowie » Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:45 pm

Nice work with the suspension.

Did you press bushes into the lower control arms yourself (eg with the bench vice) or was it a suspension shop job?

Also, as you probably already know, future squeaking could be lack of grease on poly bushes (especially swaybar bushes). I've fallen for the trap of assuming worse was going on when it was just the front swaybar bushes needing fresh red grease.
Yowie

Car: SH Forester XT

Postby nay » Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:46 pm

Yowie wrote:Did you press bushes into the lower control arms yourself (eg with the bench vice) or was it a suspension shop job?

I had a mechanic press the bushings (bench vice + tools) and install all the parts for me. It's definitely a very time consuming and laborious task though! The old bushings didn't come loose without a fight :lol:

Yowie wrote: Also, as you probably already know, future squeaking could be lack of grease on poly bushes (especially swaybar bushes). I've fallen for the trap of assuming worse was going on when it was just the front swaybar bushes needing fresh red grease.

Yup, that's what I've been told as well :). I'd imagine it's only a matter of time before the front swaybar bushes start making some noise. Luckily the rear bushes have PTFE lining so they should remain quiet for the most part.
nay

Postby aySKE » Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:32 pm

When I first got my GT Wagon in 2020, the LCA front bushing and front sway bar links were the first I changed after reading it from here. Personally I've left the rear end links to OEM as suggested by Michael from G88. Car is at 118,000kms, WL RSB 22mm hardest setting for the past 2 years, 1 track day, still good afaik!
aySKE

Previous

Return to Post your mods