Member Profile - nay's MY14 Liberty GT

Show off what mods you've done to your car.

Re: Member Profile - nay's MY14 Liberty GT

Postby LibertyTragic » Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:00 am

nay wrote:I had my eye on the Mars ones a while ago, but I left it too long and stock ran out :( :( .

Yeah I am on the wait list for the next batch. Mars said they are expecting them in late Feb/March.

nay wrote:I'm almost certain Mars source their GEN 5 Headlights from this same supplier, and some of the photos are even identical.

I think you're right. Thanks for the link, as tempting as it is to save a few bucks, I think I prefer the piece of mind dealing with an Aus business so at least I have some fall back if I get issues with them. I searched around and there seems to be reasonable amounts of positive reviews for Mars from purchasers of different makes and model cars (lancers, 4wds etc), so fingers crossed!

nay wrote:Only thing stopping me from purchasing these is that I don't really trust Chinese brands when it comes to important components like headlights.

Agree, I can't remember too many times I have been stoked with the quality of Chinese rip offs, but at least the main part of the headlight, the HID, is transferred from the factory unit, so it should at least function ok. I'm worried about how the plastic is going to go in the North West sun though. I'll try protect it best I can with a ceramic coating or something, but we'll see!
LibertyTragic

Car: 2009 Liberty GT Premium
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=36145

Postby nay » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:42 pm

LibertyTragic wrote:I think I prefer the piece of mind dealing with an Aus business so at least I have some fall back if I get issues with them.

Ahh yeah, that's a good point. Hopefully I don't run into any issues when I have mine.. I'd imagine warranty would be a complete nightmare, or even non-existent :? :?
[MY14 Liberty GT 6MT]: Tuned by MSR Engineering | Invidia Q300 TBE | Whiteline F + R Sway Bar Kit | Exedy HD Clutch | HKS Super SQV4 | Silvers Neomax S
nay

Car: MY14 Liberty GT 6MT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=36098

Postby nay » Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:17 pm

Couldn't help myself and I went on a little international online shopping spree...

Andddd the first item has arrived...Crystal-Eye V2 Sequential Indicator Headlights! Keen to install them very soon.

It also came packaged with a bonus JDM Nescafe box for good measure :lol: :lol:.

Have a few more items expected to arrive within the next few weeks 8)
[MY14 Liberty GT 6MT]: Tuned by MSR Engineering | Invidia Q300 TBE | Whiteline F + R Sway Bar Kit | Exedy HD Clutch | HKS Super SQV4 | Silvers Neomax S
nay

Postby spike2135 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:32 pm

Oooooh i've seen these... :shock:

super keen to see them fitted!

spike2135

Car: BR9
Profile URL: https://ibb.co/Ky2X4V3

Postby nay » Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:07 pm

spike2135 wrote:Oooooh i've seen these... :shock:

super keen to see them fitted!

Very exciting =D They might even be installed by the end of the week.. If I have time!
nay

Postby LibertyTragic » Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:54 am

Yes! Make sure you post up a how to :)
LibertyTragic

Car: 2009 Liberty GT Premium
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=36145

Postby satogixxer » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:29 am

nay wrote:Andddd the first item has arrived...Crystal-Eye V2 Sequential Indicator Headlights! Keen to install them very soon.

Nice choice Nathan, these will look awesome... :good: Looking forward to seeing them installed!
[Liberty GT MY10 6MT]: STI bits | STI Brembo's + Dixcel | DAMD D-shape | Cusco coilovers & sways | HKS LA clutch | BLITZ pod | Plazmaman FMIC | Deshele built EJ25 | Emtron ECU | BorgWarner EFR 7670 | 369kw atw
[Outback 3R MY04]: Stock as a rock
Profile video here
satogixxer

Car: '10 Liberty GT 6MT + '04 Outback 3R
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=20495

Postby nay » Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:22 pm

Tried to install the headlights today and after a long effort I discovered the indicators on the left headlight are faulty and do not work.

Not sure what to do at this point... If I have to ship these back to the manufacturer it would cost waaay to much and I will probably have to pay for shipping for the replacement.

Currently trying to find out if I can locate the fault and whether or not I'll be able to fix it.
nay

Postby Yowie » Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:49 pm

Good luck with the left indicators issue.

Without undermining the annoyance factor of that, I find it amusing there is a Ben Stiller meme in your thread from a few days ago and now the Zoolander "can't turn left" problem rears its head.
Yowie

Car: SH Forester XT

Postby nay » Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:48 pm

Yowie wrote:Good luck with the left indicators issue.

Without undermining the annoyance factor of that, I find it amusing there is a Ben Stiller meme in your thread from a few days ago and now the Zoolander "can't turn left" problem rears its head.

haha I'm glad you discovered that, I would've never made that connection :lol: :lol:
nay

Postby nay » Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:44 pm

Found the problem, was a faulty connecter/plug. The copper contacts inside were misaligned and weren't making contact.

I've managed to bend them in the correct direction so that they make proper contact. Seems to work for now.

Hopefully that's the last of the problems.

Will post some pics soon.
nay

Postby nay » Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:17 pm

Sydney lockdown has me bored again and I haven't posted in a while... so here's an update on the car.

Headlights and new front lip
I've had the Crystal Eye headlights installed for a while now and I can thankfully report that I haven't run into anymore issues. Indicators are working as intended and the DRLs are still as bright as day one.

To compliment the look of these headlights (and also because the old lip was beginning to crack), I've recently installed a more aggressive front lip from SOTN'A Aeroparts in Russia. Very pleased with the quality and fitment is absolutely spot on. I also love the way this things looks! Still very subtle, but somewhat aggressive looking.

Been thinking about changing the side skirt extensions to the genuine Subaru STI ones, but I'm still on the fence as they're very pricey!

New clutch and flywheel
Few months ago began to have some issues with the clutch. The clutch pedal developed some extra play when fully depressed and the pedal became increasingly harder to press. Not too long after this, I noticed that the clutch throw-out bearing developed a very distinct rattle/squeak when the car was idling. I decided to replace the clutch with the exact same Exedy HD one that I had only upgraded to around ~25,000 kms ago back in October 2019.

Dropped the car off to my mechanic for the clutch replacement and they had discovered a pin in the clutch master cylinder was installed incorrectly which was most likely the cause for the strange clutch pedal issues. Moreover, the plot thickens when they removed the old throw-out bearing from the gearbox. It appears that the old throw-out bearing was not the usual Exedy one that should've been installed with the heavy duty clutch that was currently on the vehicle. My guess is that the mechanic who previously performed the clutch upgrade had broken the bearing supplied in the clutch kit and decided to reuse the old OEM one, or installed one they found lying around the shop.

Attached some pics below - new correct bearing on the left, faulty bearing on the right. Old bearing was missing the inner sleeve, which probably caused the rattle and squeaking.
ImageImage

Also decided to upgrade the stock flywheel with an Exedy Lightened one (p/n FF502A) while the gearbox was out. With everything fixed up (new master cylinder pin, clutch and flywheel) the car feels great to drive again. The chromoly flywheel takes some getting used to as the revs drop quicker between gear shifts and taking off is ever so slightly trickier. However, it didn't take long to adapt and the car feels amazing when on boost and higher in the rev range. Definitely very happy with the upgrade.

COBB short shifter, bushing and STI transmission mount /w Whiteline gearbox inserts
Previously had the Perrin short shifter and brass bushing installed in the car. Shifts were very short but I felt like it required too much effort to get into each gear, especially 2nd and 3rd. Temporarily switched to the Kartboy short shifter, but it still felt very similar to the Perrin one. Ended up going with the COBB short shifter/bushing combo and I am pretty happy with it. It isn't as short as the perrin/kartboy one, but the extra weight of the COBB plate makes much easier to get into gear.

Also installed the STI transmission mount and whiteline KDT901 gearbox inserts at the same time. This made the trans very solid and shifting feels very direct. However, any sort of gearbox movement is now amplified and I can definitely notice some gearbox whine during low RPMs.
nay

Postby sukhoi999 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:21 pm

Those crystal-eye sure adds a lot of stare
Well done!!

for the side skirt, wanna give DAMD ones a shot?
it's not as triangle-ish as the STI one

sukhoi999

Car: MY10 Liberty 2.5 NA Premium Wagon

Postby nay » Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:57 am

sukhoi999 wrote:Those crystal-eye sure adds a lot of stare
Well done!!

for the side skirt, wanna give DAMD ones a shot?
it's not as triangle-ish as the STI one

Those DAMD ones look awesome. I'd imagine it would be an absolute pain to source though! Will definitely keep an eye on these... very tempting.

In the mean time, I've purchased some replica STI side-skirts from Russia and I'm waiting for them to arrive. I'm very curious to see how they fit and look.
nay

Postby sukhoi999 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:01 pm

Garage88 is actually authorized distributor for DAMD here down under.

previously asked for Quote and it's about $900 ish shipped.
unpainted of course.

was very tempted to get one myself earlier in the year.
sukhoi999

Car: MY10 Liberty 2.5 NA Premium Wagon

PreviousNext

Return to Post your mods