Member Profile - A9Y288 3.0 Spec B

Show off what mods you've done to your car.

Member Profile - A9Y288 3.0 Spec B

Postby A9Y288 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:55 pm

Hey guys finally getting around to making a topic for my car after a year of owning it. I previously had a gen 2 ski fx wagon that i enjoyed but was a little slow for my liking had a set of coilovers i found at pickapart and it felt like a go kart but it was time to move on to better things.
I purchased the car on boxing day in 2017 and enjoyed the car stock for a about 2 months

Decided to do a full service and check all the filters the pollen filter was the worst

Found some wheels i liked the look of in japan and decided to jump on them hyper bronze rays gram light 57G in 18x7.5 +48. In the same container load from importmonster i got some japanese subaru floor mats which i prefer the look of.
When they showed up i was excited like most people would be I was at a mates and decided to fit them only to find 4 wheel nuts on the right front were cross threaded and completely screwed to the point we snapped 3 so the car went on a tow truck. new studs were ordered the next day and that night had them swapped in to get the car mobile again however not having a press meant risking it with a hammer and wood with no success in the end unfortunately with an abs warning light on the dash. The magnetic encoder that the abs sensor reads to determine wheel speed for the rhf was damaged while replacing the studs. luckily i was at trade school that week as im an apprentice mechanic and i was able to take the car on a test drive with a scan tool plugged in to see the readings of all the wheel speed sensors to find the abs issue. purchased a new hub and had it installed that day.

I jumped in the car one day and as soon as i got in the base of the seat broke so i was after a new seat which was tricky to get a hold of for me but i stumbled upon something a bit nicer. I found a set of tbsti seats for sale missing the bottom half of the back seat but including door trims and sill plates. Those went in and i much prefer the cloth to the leather i found myself sliding around too much with the post facelift seat design.

I went with a few mates to a tampered motorsport trackday at sandown for my first experience on a track and to really push my car to see where i needed to do in the direction of upgrading. i faced the usual understeer but i already had swaybars in mind so that was too much a shock what was a shock was the brakes after 1 and a half laps in the damp they were toast for the next hour with the shudder being so bad on any application that it was almost uncontrollable.

New pads and rotors were now top of my list and i settled on DBA T3 rotors with Project Mu hc800 pads. New Whiteline front and rear swaybars got installed the same day as the brakes and completely transformed how the car handled and stopped.

Next on the list was an ultrex front lip love how it looks even if it means scraping on my driveway at stock bilstein height if im not careful.

Now i have just been enjoying the car since and that gets us to today. future plans are a honeycomb grille to complete the styling and past there in not really sure yet. I know at some point i have to attend to the front driveshafts which both have split boots but i'll wait for it to become more of an issue before i set aside a day to do them.
A9Y288

Car: MY09 3.0 spec B wagon

Re: Member Profile - A9Y288 3.0 Spec B

Postby applegeek897 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:03 pm

Nice stuff dude!
Daily: '00 Daihatsu Cuore "Kelly" - Build Thread -
Project / Weekender: '05 Subaru Liberty 3.0R-B Wagon - Build Thread -
Motorcycle: '14 Triumph Street Triple 660 - Build Thread -
applegeek897

Car: 05' 3R-B Wagon, 00' Daihatsu Cuore
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=31247

Postby bigBADbenny » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:36 am

Awesome!
Iirc you’re better off addressing the split cv boots immediately, even ziptieing a temporary boot over the crack, and replacing boots later might be cheaper than reco driveshafts :)
I see you’re in Vic, get quotes from A1 driveshaft or statewide driveshaft :good:
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby A9Y288 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:39 am

bigBADbenny wrote:Awesome!
Iirc you’re better off addressing the split cv boots immediately, even ziptieing a temporary boot over the crack, and replacing boots later might be cheaper than reco driveshafts :)
I see you’re in Vic, get quotes from A1 driveshaft or statewide driveshaft :good:

When i first took the wheels off the car i noticed they were split and that was about 2 months after ownership and it looked like they had been leaking grease for some time. I dont know how it passed a roady like that but its luck of the draw really i neglected to look so that was my fault however im lucky having access to trade price so im not that concerned i just have to set aside some time to do them
A9Y288

Postby A9Y288 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:28 pm

just an update its been a while not all that much has happened though i will have more news in the next month or so just waiting on some stuff to arrive.
i got new plates for the car in the meantime just enjoying driving it as my daily
id like to lower the car however i already scrape on my driveway as it sits now so stock height it is unfortunately
need to do a service change the wipers and polish the headlights up but thats all easy stuff that i can get done quickly
A9Y288

Postby A9Y288 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:14 pm

time for that update on the car now that some things have changed.

found myself very fortunate to find myself a set of work meister s1 wheels while i was looking for things for the car on import monster the wheel specs are 18x8 +43
they are alot different than the rays i had on it before but im liking the change so far.
got myself a set of re003's in bridgestones 4 for 3 deal i wanted to try the new s007a but there was none available. the re003's are fairly grippy but in the cold i have to be more weary

in the coming days the rays wheels will be put up for sale to fund other projects just have to clean the brake dust off them and advertise them

gave the car a service and good look over re tightened all the sway bar bolts to make sure they wont come loose and found im looking at having to do lower control arm bushes in the near future they are just starting to split

next on the to do list is wait, i have a honeycomb grille on its way from japan. in the meantime other projects will take more of a priority as this isnt my only car and id like to start enjoying my other cars and get them back out on the road once again
A9Y288

Postby A9Y288 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:09 pm

its been quite a while since i have posted any updates and i know i said i wouldnt be doing all that much to the car going forward however the modifying bug hit as always

when i first saw the grille on yahoo auctions japan i had noticed a piece of conduit behind the grille in the photo and with next to no description i just thought nothing of it.
i picked up the grille and found the conduit went too an illuminated badge so got the grille fitted and decided to wire the badge to the parkers with bullet connectors that were already in the loom included.
it was a good thing those connectors were there as the badge is illuminated blue which isnt the most legal of colour choices so i have it disconnected most of the time.

one night i got a bit bored playing with some vinyl wrap and decided to make myself a set of eyelids i dont hate them and from some angles the car looks alot better not too bad for a free mod

next job on the list was some led parkers numberplate and reverse globes so worth it as now the parkers match the low beam and the reverse lights give off alot more light making it alot easier to see at night

so now comes the exhaust work: i found a set of hks silent highpower rear mufflers and jumped on them they are a little over the top being 120mm tips but they arent obnoxiously loud or droney

next on the agenda was some raptor headers and while i was getting them fitted i got a third cat delete done at the same time.
it woke the car up somewhat alot more fun to drive now. i can only imagine how much better the car will be with a tune

and lastly i got around to doing those driveshafts that were spraying grease got both the fronts genuine from subaru for 195 each new so i cant complain as reco shafts were only a bit less and it only took me half an hour to fit them

A9Y288

Re: Member Profile - A9Y288 3.0 Spec B lo

Postby bigBADbenny » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:55 pm

Very well done on all counts!
Iirc green is a no-no up front, the blue looks mad!
If the muffler tips are a bit off, loosen all the bolts to the cat back, pack out the tips in the bumper with cardboard or rags till they’re straight, then do up the bolts.
Might just be the pic angle tho :P
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Re: Member Profile - A9Y288 3.0 Spec B lo

Postby A9Y288 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:43 pm

bigBADbenny wrote:Very well done on all counts!
Iirc green is a no-no up front, the blue looks mad!
If the muffler tips are a bit off, loosen all the bolts to the cat back, pack out the tips in the bumper with cardboard or rags till they’re straight, then do up the bolts.
Might just be the pic angle tho :P

yeah it is just the angle of the photo they sit a bit lower than id ideally like but im overall happy with the placement of the mufflers
the blue on the badge isnt really all that intense so its good as a show off kind of thing for photos other than that it was just a nice bonus that came with the grille i wanted
A9Y288

Return to Post your mods