Member Profile - Tresidder17's Spec.B H6

Show off what mods you've done to your car.

Member Profile - Tresidder17's Spec.B H6

Postby Tresidder17 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:37 pm

Hey guys,

I picked up my liberty in July of 2017 and thought it was about time i made a profile.

Im the third owner. First owner sold the car two the second owner at 110,000kms. Second owner had it for less than a year and I picked up the car with 118,000kms.
The car was 100% stock and in great mechanical condition. It also came with all the extras like a black leather interior, sat nav and dual zone climate control.

Basic Specifications

Engine: H6 3.0
Transmission: 5EAT
Year: 2006 MY07
Colour: 32J Obsidian Black Pearl

Photos

*coming soon*

Modifications

- K&N Air Filter
- Kenwood DDX7017BT (head unit)
- Hertz Energy ES F20.5 (subwoofer)

Future Modifications

- Finish Upgrading Audio System
- Aftermarket Exhaust System
- Kido Tune
- Upgraded Brakes
- Adjust Ride Height
- Interior Retrim
- Aftermarket Rims
- Minor Styling Upgrades
Last edited by Tresidder17 on Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tresidder17

Car: MY07 3.0 Spec.B 5EAT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=35209

Re: Member Profile - Tresidder17 Spec.B H6

Postby Tresidder17 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:58 pm

My walk-through on how to install an aftermarket head unit and keep the stock McIntosh amp can be found here (viewtopic.php?f=22&t=35068)

Since then my stock sub woofer has died. Pieces were literally falling off into the boot. I ordered a Hertz ES F20.5 which is a low profile 8" subwoofer (actually slightly lower than the stock sub). The install was relatively straight forwards so i didn't take any photos but it is a bit annoying that you have to remove the rear seats and C-pillar trim to get to the parcel shelf. The install itself was easy though, just solder the two wires to the new sub and it drops right in the old sub's hole.

Some people have said that the bottom of their aftermarket subs have got in the way of the torsion bars that lift the boot lid or that the magnetic force of the sub has attracted the torsion bars, neither of these have issues have occurred for me.

I'm happy with the sound quality of the new sub and the sound quality is a lot better than stock in my opinion. The new sub does lack the kick of the stock sub though. This is probably due to the fact that the Hertz sub is designed for higher power than the McIntosh amp is capable of outputting. This, however, does leave room for an upgrade to the amp in the future without the need to replace the sub again.

My only issue is that the parcel shelf still gets an annoying vibration sometimes. This was an issue with the stock sub too but i am still yet to find a solution.
Tresidder17

Re: Member Profile - Tresidder17's Spec.B H6

Postby Tresidder17 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:34 am

So I had an interesting Friday night. I was driving in the city when I had someone reverse into the front of my car (a simplified version of the story). They were really good about it and took 100% of the responsibility so all is fine.

cardamage1.jpg
cardamage1.jpg (143.88 KiB) Viewed 6497 times

I took the car to the crash repairer today. It will obviously need a replaced bonnet, bumper, etc. The radiator support frame was also pretty bent so that needs replacing but the radiator and left quarter panel seem to be fine at this stage. I can't complain too much as the car had some scratches in the bonnet and front bumper from the previous owners that really bothered me and would have required a respray to fix but now i can't say the car has never been in an accident. Thankfully there was no mechanical damage at all.
Tresidder17

Postby applegeek897 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:21 pm

Pity about what happened mate but at least it'll be funky fresh when its all fixed up.
Daily: '00 Daihatsu Cuore "Kelly" - Build Thread -
Project / Weekender: '05 Subaru Liberty 3.0R-B Wagon - Build Thread -
Motorcycle: '14 Triumph Street Triple 660 - Build Thread -
applegeek897

Car: 05' 3R-B Wagon, 00' Daihatsu Cuore
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=31247

Postby Tresidder17 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:01 pm

Yeah should be better than when I bought the car, if they match the paint correctly. But its going to be difficult not having a car until next Friday aha
Tresidder17

Postby bigBADbenny » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:37 am

Stick on sound deadener mat is the solution for canceling sub vibrations on the parcel shelf etc.
Get a tone generator app on your phone, connect to the sound system to find the resonant frequencies...
Start with 20% coverage on eg the underside of the shelf and go from there...
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby Tresidder17 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:47 pm

Thanks benny, that's a good idea. I'll check it out one day when i have the spare time
Tresidder17

Postby Tresidder17 » Mon May 07, 2018 8:36 pm

Bit of an update, i got my liberty back (quite a while ago). Repairs were good. Basically, the radiator support panel and everything infront was replaced. So new radiator, air con condenser, front bar, bonnet, etc. All brand new and genuine. Paint match on the front bar and bonnet is perfect. Repairs cost was... lots. Luckily, it didn't cost me a cent. I haven't had any time to take photos with my uni schedule.

As a small project I bought an aftermarket flip key for the car. Saw the same key listed on ebay from a Chinese vendor for $30 and from an Australian vendor for $180. I contacted the Australian vendor to ask if there was a difference and they gave me a load of crap about how their key is "genuine" and the Chinese key wouldn't work. It all sounded a little bit like they just wanted me to buy their key so I risked the $30 and bought from the Chinese vendor. The key came earlier than expected and is perfect.
Next step is to get the blank key blade cut. Cost me $30 for the cut and the locksmith was telling me how they sell the same key for around $200 "to stay competitive with online prices", I guess he couldn't see any issue with the quality.
I took the transponder out of the old valet key that I never use as I could not be bothered paying $60 to get the new one that came with the aftermarket key programmed.
Then just follow the instructions in the FSM to register the keypad to the car and its done. Easy.

Picture isn't great quality but the key looks great and works perfectly.
I'd recommend it to anyone to update the horrible triangular key.
Tresidder17

Postby bigBADbenny » Mon May 07, 2018 8:52 pm

Nice one!
Thanks for the explanation.
Seems like the way to go, this key just requires cutting, chip swap (or chip re-program) and registering...
but no need to swap over the buttons?
bigBADbenny

Postby Tresidder17 » Tue May 08, 2018 9:23 am

Yeah so if you take the transponder out the valet key it will already work, no need to reprogram or register anything.

As for the buttons, the aftermarket key came with its own keypad and the circuit board is a totally different shape to the board in the standard key. The key comes programmed so it already knows what signals to send when you press each button. All you have to do is register the key to the car so the car will accept the signals (you are essentially programming the car, not the key).
Instructions to register the key are in the fsm. You have to connect a wire to put the car in registration mode and then follow the steps to register the key, its easier than it sounds. It took me a while to find the wire, it is behind the kick panel in the driver's foot well to the right of the accelerator pedal, At first I was looking behind the big panel at your knees that cover's the small fuse panel, no matter how hard you look, you won't find it there :lol:
The last thing to remember is that you must register all your existing keys to the car again when you do this. You can't just add the new key to the car's memory.
Tresidder17

Postby bigBADbenny » Tue May 08, 2018 4:40 pm

Awesome, thanks for the clarification :)
bigBADbenny

Return to Post your mods