Member profile - quasarcreator's H6 Wagon

Show off what mods you've done to your car.

Member profile - quasarcreator's H6 Wagon

Postby quasarcreator » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:46 pm

Finally decided to make a build list/thread.
Been a member of this forum since march 2016, but got my lib in June this year (2017) and have been loving every minute of it.

My car is a 2008 3.0r spec B wagon, with the 6-speed and in diamond grey :)
When I picked it up it had around 96,000 km on it.

First, a list of planned/completed mods for the car: (and photos below that)

Want
Purchased/in progress
Installed

ENGINE:

KiDo Tune
Corgiwerx double row bearing idler pulleys

DRIVETRAIN:

Corgiwerx Gearbox Bush kit
Short Shifter

EXHAUST:

Raptor headers with hi-flow cats
Third cat delete (replaced with y-pipe)
Hotdog resonators in place of stock mufflers

EXTERIOR:

OEM Honeycomb Grille

INTERIOR:

Diamond Works Si-Drive cover - Black

SUSPENSION:

Coilovers - MCA Blues/Stance XR1

WHEELS:

XXR 530D 18/19 x 9 (Graphite ML or Silver ML)

AUDIO:

Big sound system - Amp, Sub, replacement speakers

More stuff will be added to this list soon, when I think of what I need. (or want, rather)

In any case, here are some photos of the car currently, completely stock, aside from a few stickers :wink: I love taking photos so I expect this to be quite a photo heavy thread, just a heads up haha.

Lastly, some sound clips of the exhaust:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCpchf9A5Cs
Last edited by quasarcreator on Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:50 pm, edited 21 times in total.
quasarcreator

Car: 2008 3.0r spec. B wagon 6mt

Re: Member profile - quasarcreator's H6 Wagon

Postby quasarcreator » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:07 pm

Yesterday I went to the local car audio store (Ryda Dot Com) to get a replacement sub, as the stock Mcintosh one had given up on me - making annoying farting noises on kicks and loud bass. The guy recommended an 8 inch Kenwood sub, which would apparently fit with "a bit of bending of the metal with a hammer". Got home and noticed that it would require a lot more work than that.
In any case, I went back today to get a refund, which fortunately, they gave me. Asked one of the staff to have a look to see what I was talking about, and he then proceeded to tell me that they've never done an install on a wagon, only on sedans, which means it wouldn't fit. Would have been great to know that when I bought it (even though I specifically said I had a wagon) :angry2:

The fairly beaten up stock grille, with the sub behind
What was destined to be the replacement sub
The cracking around the cone - it's possible to lift the entire cone off the rim
A close up.

Drove around without the sub in, and honestly I couldn't even tell the difference. It sounds almost tighter without it, which is weird
Went to a different audio shop today, the guy working there said there are no aftermarket subs which fit the stock mounting position. Is this true? I find it hard to believe... he said it would be $350 to get the Mcintosh refurbished... which seems like a waste of money. A simple amp and sub would be between $300 -$400, however I don't really want to loose any boot space. Hmm. Need to do a bit of research into this.
quasarcreator

Postby quasarcreator » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:22 pm

Today, I also investigated my not-working reverse lights. Initially I figured it could be that the bulbs had blown, but it seemed very strange that two of them would break at the same time - so decided against buying replacements. My other suspicion was that it could be a wiring issue - something that would be a big pain to work out.
After checking the bulbs themselves and noticing that the filaments were all still intact, I was ready to leave it for tomorrow until my dad suggested to check the fuses. After consulting the owner's manual, I located the reverse light fuse (number 18), got the fuse puller and spare 10 amp fuse from the engine bay fuse box, and replaced it. Sure enough, the reverse lights started working again! I wasn't excepting a blown fuse, so it was quite surprising haha :) Was hoping blown bulbs would give me an excuse to get fancy aftermarket ones, but alas... another day haha.

[iImage
The inside of the fuse box

The very handy fuse pulling tool

The blown fuse - note the broken connection inside the plastic housing, and the black marks on the pins

The now functioning again reverse lights :D

This turned out to be a very easy fix, which is great because it definitely isn't safe to be driving around without reverse lights - had a few people beep at me when I stopped to reverse park, and fair enough, they probably had no idea what I was doing haha
quasarcreator

Postby applegeek897 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:57 pm

Car looks good man, top photos are broken. Keen to see them!
Daily: '00 Daihatsu Cuore "Kelly" - Build Thread -
Project / Weekender: '05 Subaru Liberty 3.0R-B Wagon - Build Thread -
Motorcycle: '14 Triumph Street Triple 660 - Build Thread -
applegeek897

Car: 05' 3R-B Wagon, 00' Daihatsu Cuore
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=31247

Postby dan_ashcroft » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:14 pm

Lucky it was only fuses and not the reverse light switch!

(Can't help with any wagon audio info as I have a sedan.)
dan_ashcroft

Car: MY06 3.0R-B on E85

Postby MadmanSean » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:21 am

Yay another Wagon!
Keen to see the pics of your car, fix the pics asap :)
Subaru ECU Unbricking, Unlocking and Bench Flashing/Recovery service! Check out SICK CHIPS @ https://www.facebook.com/SickChips/
http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=35489
If you'd like to say thank you feel free to Buy me a coffee https://www.buymeacoffee.com/sickchips
MadmanSean

Car: 2007 Libert GT SpecB wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=33793

Postby quasarcreator » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:27 pm

MadmanSean wrote:Yay another Wagon!
Keen to see the pics of your car, fix the pics asap :)

Cheers all :)

I've tried so many times to fix the pics up there, but when I try edit the post the website just stops working and won't load...
Maybe I have to delete the post and start again? I'll give it another shot - if not, I'll just make a new reply in this thread haha

*EDIT*

Of course straight after writing this, I managed to fix the issue with the photos - enjoy!
quasarcreator

Postby quasarcreator » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:47 pm

Just gonna post some pics from the last couple months, cos I have been pretty inactive haha. Will be getting much more active again though, got several mods planned for the coming weeks :wink:

The 3 cars in the family all lined up! All pretty different I'd say :)

Also, got to go to Japan over January, so here are some of the cool Subies I saw - I spotted many other cars too, but these are just the Subies:

Exiga GT

Levorg:

Bugeye:

Gen V Cop car:

JDM Minitruck (Subaru Sambar I believe?)

A couple of STis:

And last, but definitely not least, a preface GT Wagon!

Sorry for the pic spam! But it was an amazing trip, would highly recommend Japan to anyone, even if you aren't into cars - so much stuff to see and do there :)
quasarcreator

Postby quasarcreator » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:20 pm

My suspicions were right, and on Monday I finally got my broken CV boot fixed. After hard driving, there would be lots of smoke coming out of the passenger side of the car, so I took a look and found a bunch of green gooey oil all over the cat and suspension pieces. The same thing happened to me in June last year just after I got the car, so I knew straight away what it was haha.

My neighbour's son owns a workshop close by, (Inner City European) so he was able to fix it (for much less than the stealership!) We have some sort of agreement going in too where he lets me come in and watch whatever he's doing, so I can hopefully learn stuff for myself :) So, I took some photos of the CV boot repair - it was the first time I've seen my car up in the air too, which revealed some other issues...

Going up...

The old leaky CV boot: (note the green stuff on the cat)

Old vs new:

Took well over ten minutes to get the driveshaft out, cos one end was seized inside the hub. A few other things were really hard to remove too actually... mechanic said the car must have spent a lot of its life near the ocean/harbour, which makes sense since I got it from the northern beaches. And sure enough, lots of stuff under there is rusty... take a look:

The exhaust looks especially bad, particularly the bolts holding the mufflers to the y-pipe. (which explains why they were almost impossible to undo when I tried a couple of times at home) Looks like any future work I do myself is going to be fun :? lucky I have plenty of WD-40 at home.

Overall though, the whole process was quite simple and interesting to watch. We made sure to put some grease on the end of the driveshaft to stop it getting stuck again. I was surprised that the whole driveshaft was replaced, rather than just the boot, however the replacement driveshaft came just over an hour after being ordered. They took away my old one, presumably to be refurbished :)
quasarcreator

Postby quasarcreator » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:34 pm

A brief update on future plans:

Firstly, sometime this weekend Corgiwerx should be sending me one of their idler pulley replacement kits, with the double walled bearings - these have started to go on my engine, which results in a loud, annoying ticking sound from the engine, especially noticeable at idle. I'm just glad it's that and not something more expensive :lol: It isn't the most pressing issue though so I'm in no rush to fix it.

Secondly, I've been in contact with Matt so that I can finally get a KiDo tune for my car! It's something I've been wanting to do for ages, but because of the HSC last year and only just recently getting a job, I had to put it off haha. He said he'd let me know when he's next in Sydney, I'm so keen.

Lastly, I think I've decided on my plans for the exhaust (at least for now) after months of reading the forum and Facebook. Originally I wanted to get an X-force catback, but after speaking to several people who say it doesn't make much of a difference for the money, I'm passing on that one. Instead, I'm likely going to get a resonator delete (replaced with a section of pipe) and replacing the two rear mufflers with straight pipe deletes. (or blast pipes, however you like to say it haha) All depends on price though, if it's too much, I might just end up going with the blast pipes. Alternatively, if anyone is selling either of those things, let me know, cos I'll buy them off you.

Plans for the not too distant future include wheels and coilovers, but that is all dependent on how much I can make being a wage slave at KFC :wink:

All jokes aside, really looking forward to what's coming up, and glad to finally be making some progress on the car!

PS: Should I make a YouTube channel so I can post small install videos and exhaust clips? Something I would definitely be willing to do
quasarcreator

Postby applegeek897 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:39 pm

Liking everything so far mate. I'd be interested in seeing some video content.
Daily: '00 Daihatsu Cuore "Kelly" - Build Thread -
Project / Weekender: '05 Subaru Liberty 3.0R-B Wagon - Build Thread -
Motorcycle: '14 Triumph Street Triple 660 - Build Thread -
applegeek897

Car: 05' 3R-B Wagon, 00' Daihatsu Cuore
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=31247

Postby Tonic » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:00 pm

Liking the story Q.

Keep up the good work.

Kido tune makes an amazing difference - can highly rrecommend commend that as best bang for your buck
Tonic

Car: 06 Liberty 3.0RB now 09 facelift

Postby quasarcreator » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:34 pm

applegeek897 wrote:Liking everything so far mate. I'd be interested in seeing some video content.

Cheers all :)

Getting my exhaust work done on Friday so will take some vids then
quasarcreator

Postby quasarcreator » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:21 pm

So finally today went to get my exhaust done!

Firstly, went to Bay Mufflers in Kogarah, fantastic service and fabrication :)
Originally I wanted to delete my resonator and both rear mufflers, but I was advised that would be ridiculously loud, so we decided against that. (probs a good thing)

The plan originally was just to remove the rear mufflers, but that changed a bit further on ;)

The rear muffler: (never realised how huge these are)

Ended up just hacking them off, probably a good thing as those bolts would have been a pain to remove:

Now, this sort of stuff never seems to go to plan - we ended up removing the third cat lol. Went for a pull down the street to test the setup, (no mufflers) when I came back he told me it sounded really restricted and quiet, even at full throttle. So we inspected the cat, and sure enough, it was done for. Completely full of dust and random crap, couldn't see through it. So we ended up lopping that off and putting in a y-pipe and small section of straight pipe to connect to the resonator:

After all that was done, we fired it up to see what it would sound like, and although it sounded pretty mean, it was quite twangy and raspy, so we stuck to our plan and put some hotdogs on the back:

Reused the old tips for this setup, works pretty well cos it all looks stock from the back hahaha.
Overall though, it sounds freaking amazing. It has certain characters that make it sound a little like an RB at times, but it's definitely very unique, I absolutely love it. I suppose the next step is to go for raptor headers and some high flow cats, then possibly an aftermarket resonator? I've seen a couple of vids with Vibrant performance resonators and they give the EZ30 a pretty cool sound, makes it growl a little more, almost like a VR6 (but way more subtle - vid in case you're interested: https://youtu.be/Y-BZQM54QNI?t=18s)

Just edited up a small little sound clip from my GoPro, I'll setup a YouTube channel then post the link here :)
quasarcreator

Postby quasarcreator » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:01 pm

Sound clips for the new exhaust!!!

https://youtu.be/y52LuiB1cuc

Enjoy
quasarcreator

Next

Return to Post your mods