Member profile - quasarcreator's H6 Wagon

Show off what mods you've done to your car.

Re: Member profile - quasarcreator's H6 Wagon

Postby quasarcreator » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:44 pm

Yesterday I visited the Corgiwerx HQ to get my new double walled idler bearings installed! Was actually pretty interesting seeing the whole process, and it's definitely removed most of the ticking noise that was there before. There's still a bit of noise but it's much quieter, no idea where it's coming from though :/
The fact that I had been driving for 30 minutes to get there made the install a bit difficult as my engine was still really hot, especially when it came to putting the nut on for the different bolt needed due to the new bearing.
Next I need to hit up Peter for some gearbox bushes, only thing stopping me is the difficulty of the install... anyone have any tips?
quasarcreator

Car: 2008 3.0r spec. B wagon 6mt

Postby quasarcreator » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:13 pm

A bit under 2 weeks ago, my Diamond Works Si-Drive cover arrived in the mail, and now after a little while of using it I can say that it's amazing, and well worth the price. Not only does it look fancy and help add to your interior, it feels so much nicer to use - more quality, more weight to the action, and easier to grip, in part due to the textured edges.
Here's some photos:

quasarcreator

Postby quasarcreator » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:29 pm

So just yesterday I attended the bathurst cruise, was rly fun and we actually had almost 20 people come along! Headed out from Richmond to Bells Line of Road, which I'd never been on before but absolutely love now - not only is the road fun to drive, but the scenery is stunning. Saw probably the nicest sunset I've ever seen heading back to Sydney in the evening along the road.
In any case, some photos from the mandatory wash the night before:

Short stop along Bells line:

Bonus photo that was taken by someone else (can't remember who sorry :P) you can see my lib just behind the blue gen 6 :)

IF you didn't already hear, ritchie's impretzel blew a drive shaft (front left) trying to launch in Lithgow - so he left it there and came back with a new driveshaft for it, and fixed it in the maccas car park.

There was a random slowdown of traffic on Bells line on the way back, so I pulled into a dirt driveway and ended up having a rest for 20 minutes or so, and ate some shapes. Was actually a good idea cos even though there was a little more traffic coming down, it meant I got to enjoy the sunset haha.

Overall though, it was a great day, cheers to all who came and helped to organise it :) We got some drone footage too so I'm curious to see that.
quasarcreator

Postby quasarcreator » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:18 pm

Last Saturday I drove up to the central coast to pick up something for the Lib! Scored a great deal on the facebook page for a honeycomb grille from Adam. (Diamondworks) Swapped him my stock grille cos he's converting his GT spec. B back to stock. Awesome dude, we had a nice chat about stuff. (audio, paint, etc.) Had a nice drive along the Pacific Highway in the evening, there was hardly any traffic except for a Mazda 3 that I was stuck behind for 5+ minutes (down a really good stretch of road too! Oh well haha)
Some pics:

Also, the next day (Sunday) I finally got a tune from Matt! Learned so much interesting stuff about all the things a tune could do, such as making my idle more stable, maintaining the same RPM when the aircon is turned on, much nicer throttle response, and I can even shift faster now! The thing that was most amazing was the fact that now somehow my exhaust sounds slightly different too, it's subtle but definitely noticeable. Additionally, if I give it enough throttle when rev matching, the car gives a really aggressive snarl which is very different to before, I absolutely love it :D Matt also noticed (via his tuning software) that one of my vacuum lines was unplugged - turned out to be the one for the MAP sensor. We put it back in, and it helped the idle even more haha. If I can manage to drive sensibly for long enough, hopefully I'll see some better fuel economy too.
quasarcreator

Postby quasarcreator » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:31 pm

So coming up later this week is my birthday! Parents said they'd give me a bit of help buying a sound system for the Lib, which was the next thing I planned to tackle, so perfect timing. I honestly think the McIntosh system isn't that great, despite it being a premium sound system. Doesn't help that my sub blew last year, and I'm also pretty sure one (or more) of my passenger side speakers is dying too. (sounds kinda quiet, and also crackly) So I guess my question is, what do I need to replace?
I want to keep the stock head unit (I like how clean it is and I don't wanna fork out the cash for a new fascia and head unit) plus I want to keep the CD stacker - old fashioned of me, I know :wink:
I'll need an amp too, as well as front and rear speakers, and a sub. Any recommendations?
Also, do I need to buy new crossovers for the front? What about the rear?
I've also heard I'll need a line converter for the amp, however I've heard this can make a bit of noise. Read something somewhere about someone splicing the head unit outputs into the amp RCA cables or something?
I'm planning to follow James' (Applegeek897) install for the sound system as his was super detailed.

Any advice would be very appreciated :)
quasarcreator

Postby quasarcreator » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:37 pm

Soooo I've been a bit lazy with updating this thread lol, but luckily I've gotten some stuff done in the past couple of months :)

Firstly, was the nightmare that was trying to install my new sound system...
Decided after getting all the parts that I'd give it a shot myself, turned out to be a bad idea haha. In the end I ended up getting the shop I bought everything from to install it for me, which was super helpful. In any case, I learned lots in the process, such as what not to do.

Specs:

Sony XAV-AX 200 Head unit

Hertz 2-ways in the front

Hertz Components in the back

Pioneer GM-D9605 five channel amp

Kicker 12 inch sub

Here are some pics:

[April 24]: Started by deconstructing the area surrounding the head unit:

First, remove the shifter surround-ring-thingy

Pull off the silver trim pieces on either side

Unclip the cigarette lighter piece

Undo all the screws holding the head unit in, then gently pull it out

You can then admire the nest of cables under the dash.

Last I removed the passenger seat, and factory amp

The next day (ANZAC day) I drove down to the Shire to pick up a fascia from Paul, one of his piano black ones. The cool thing about these is that they look just like the factory facelift facias (gloss black) but have the appropriate hole and mounting points for an aftermarket head unit. Would definitely recommend to anyone doing an audio upgrade. Plus, it's cheaper than buying one from somewhere like AvoJDM, especially if you swap your stock fascia. Anyway, some more photos.

New fascia all ready to go

Door off

Some of the stock speakers removed - they look to be in ok condition but definitely sounded like some where detereorating

Rear door

I ended up accidentally cutting a bunch of wires I needed in the passenger door... thought they were old speaker wires, ended up being the wires for the window, door lock, mirror, and light. Big mistake. Decided not to go around snipping any wires after that :) Luckily, my neighbour was in the back lane and came over to see what I was up to, he gladly offered to help me solder all of them back up - showed me how to do it first, then left me to finish the rest myself. Total pain in the ass, but sometimes making mistakes is how you learn haha.

Didn't take too many pics of this (mostly cos I was frustrated and trying to concentrate) but here is a pic of the door harness out of the car. Most of the wires you can see at the end I had to resolder. (some to a plug with VERY minimal wire left) Also visible is my failed attempt at crimping. Decided I much prefer soldering :D

Don't worry, I insulated the connections before putting everything back together.

Had a bit of trouble fitting the head unit in, mainly because there was a small bit of plastic at the bottom corner which was in the way. Paul was nice enough to come over and visit me after I noticed the issue, and helped grind away the bit which was causing the problem. Amazing customer service if I say so myself, and can't thank him enough for coming over to give me a hand. After that, the head unit fit great:

After noticing that even with the appropriate Aerpro adaptors things still wouldn't all reconnect, and noticing just how much work would be involved in wiring and mounting all the speakers, I decided to just let the professionals do it. And I'm glad I did, because I picked it up after getting it all set up and was amazed with the result. The system sounds amazing, and it was useful having the audio place be able to tune the system and make it sound proper. They also told me that the sub they recommended didn't sound great in my car, so they advised I swap it out for a bigger 12 inch (same price) which although I don't like how much space it takes up in the boot, definitely sounds sick. The head unit (Sony XAV-AX 200) is also awesome, if you don't need the CD/DVD player you can opt for the less expensive version without it. Android auto is also so nice to have. Only got a few photos of the setup though:

quasarcreator

Previous

Return to Post your mods