Member Profile-(Libacy Gt) Gen V Gt AUTO Wagon

Show off what mods you've done to your car.

Re: Member Profile-(Libacy Gt) Gen V Gt AUTO Wagon

Postby Libacy Gt » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:21 am

Yowie wrote:Yeah, what's with E85 jumping in price so much in recent months? :angry2:

I know different dynos are comparing apples to oranges and auto gearboxes muddy the water a lot..... BUT for my own interest I compared your dyno chart to mine (2.5L, VF46, 4-speed auto viewtopic.php?f=10&t=36234 1st post ).

Our power levels are virtually identical between 85kph and 165kph. The differences are:-

1. my power ramp-up starts at 60 kph (not 85kph);

2. your power level is still climbing at the top-end while mine is tapering-off;

3. your boost level is holding pretty steady (2psi taper-off) while mine has a more substantial drop from 17/18psi down to 14psi

Presumably your dyno chart is indicative of a larger turbo with more potential, while mine shows a turbo well & truly maxed-out (albeit with more responsiveness).

I'm looking forward to seeing the results of your higher-boost tune. That should put an end to the "similar power at similar speed" thing :p

They are basically taking advantage of the situation, because only UNITED sells e85, they can practically do what they want, the store manager flat out said, 'because less people on the road and they are making less profits on normal fuel so they increased e85 to make up for it, very unethical, i emailed united and received no reply, no one cares, the store managers just laugh when i mention it, so long as there is no competition they can do as they wish, and keep in mind they use sorghum wheat as the ethanol and that has kept its low prices, their cost is very low. They making huge profits i believe.

Interesting with your chart comparison. Yes your right my boost level holds very well and on the road feels like it doesn't drop but just keep pulling, impressive for a stock housing turbo. Your car must feel very "zippy" with such a quick spool. Will see if my hybrid actually has more to give. My ultimate worry is the auto box and i don't want to go through a rebuild.
Libacy Gt

Car: Lib Gt Wagon Gen 5, 5EAT 2011
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=34162

Postby JAWolf » Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:14 pm

Libacy Gt wrote:im assuming your Gt pumps Turbo was not a direct bolt on? Did it need alot of custom work to make it happen? Is your car manual? What power level did you reach? Not many people with highly modified Gen v's around. I checked with the Rumble shack and ECUTEK supports flex fuel so i will got with that option soon. I spoke to COBB, they dont have Flex support for Gen V.

Apologies I missed seeing the reply. The turbo wasn't a bolt on , but they used a PSR FA20 EL headers to the turbo. There were quite a few changes, the position of the turbo is close to where original one was, but engine had to be move up (billet spacers were used if I remember correctly). The car stripped a tooth in 2nd in gear on original "strengthened" 6 speed manual, so if your goal is 300+ awkw the 6 speed manual from the Gen5 is not an option either (so went to STi 6 speed ...and R180 rear diff). If you can't do true full flex - the using i-Drive for selection works ok (S# was e70+ , S for 98 -> E85 , I was "safety" mode). As far as a model goes for mods the GenV isn't the sane choice for going high HP (between turbo and transmission options that are cheap/easy to do)

https://www.facebook.com/alldrivesubaroo/posts/2668723366521456 is ADS's post about the car (if you look through engine build images you'll see one with how turbo is mounted.

Current tune is 297 awkw (moved from stock ECU -> MoTeC )
JAWolf

Car: Gen V Liberty GT wagon
Profile URL: https://tinyurl.com/y3o238rd

Postby Libacy Gt » Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:08 am

JAWolf wrote:
Libacy Gt wrote:im assuming your Gt pumps Turbo was not a direct bolt on? Did it need alot of custom work to make it happen? Is your car manual? What power level did you reach? Not many people with highly modified Gen v's around. I checked with the Rumble shack and ECUTEK supports flex fuel so i will got with that option soon. I spoke to COBB, they dont have Flex support for Gen V.

Apologies I missed seeing the reply. The turbo wasn't a bolt on , but they used a PSR FA20 EL headers to the turbo. There were quite a few changes, the position of the turbo is close to where original one was, but engine had to be move up (billet spacers were used if I remember correctly). The car stripped a tooth in 2nd in gear on original "strengthened" 6 speed manual, so if your goal is 300+ awkw the 6 speed manual from the Gen5 is not an option either (so went to STi 6 speed ...and R180 rear diff). If you can't do true full flex - the using i-Drive for selection works ok (S# was e70+ , S for 98 -> E85 , I was "safety" mode). As far as a model goes for mods the GenV isn't the sane choice for going high HP (between turbo and transmission options that are cheap/easy to do)

https://www.facebook.com/alldrivesubaroo/posts/2668723366521456 is ADS's post about the car (if you look through engine build images you'll see one with how turbo is mounted.

Current tune is 297 awkw (moved from stock ECU -> MoTeC )

nice, didnt know you had full build, had a look through, very impresisve, yes in hindsight i would have just got a Golf R wagon lol, didnt know what i was in for with this car, all just unknowns.
Libacy Gt

Postby JAWolf » Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:08 pm

As a starting point the gen V doesn't have the readily available options the gen 4 has. The interesting part is the low mount turbo, which is blessing/curse, you can get good low down torque, but the normally available transmissions don't like large amounts of torque(seems like around 250 awkw is where you could go on with the 6 speed transmission). In hindsight, would the 5 speed wrx box, with PPG 1-4 gears have been an option (as the gen V 6 speed is a derivative of that box)? Be a lot cheaper if feasible, and be significantly stronger than stock 6 speed gears. I'm unsure if going from auto to manual would require a different ECU, or different wiring(I still have my original one still after MoTeC upgrade)
JAWolf

Postby bigBADbenny » Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:50 am

JAWolf, is that the car with the superfinished 5+1 6mt?

I saw the post on FB, and died a little, tbh. I’m very sorry but not suprised it didn’t work out.

I have no experience with that shop but generally my advice is to avoid it, based on feedback from friends who have been gouged and or trapped.
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby JAWolf » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:12 am

bigBADbenny wrote:JAWolf, is that the car with the superfinished 5+1 6mt?

I saw the post on FB, and died a little, tbh. I’m very sorry but not suprised it didn’t work out.

I have no experience with that shop but generally my advice is to avoid it, based on feedback from friends who have been gouged and or trapped.

I was greedy, and was explicitly warned against going to that power level with original transmission - it was an unknown(really should of, as suggested kept to 250 awkw). Based on life events it is the least problematic(doing the car was an attempt at getting some "fun" in a rather grim time).

My main problem when shopping around was getting someone to actually work on the car. GetItRex would not return calls, when I did call them, they went from "We can do it if you are willing to wait" to "nah we won't do the job" (and this was on a basic engine rebuild with upgraded internals- ie. stronger pistons/rods/closed deck) - I tried a local shop, who said they'd do, and that was for a stock build, but they never returned calls to get a quote(after calling multiple times, to no response gave up). ADS were the only people who reliably responded prior to the work being carried out - they were within a few $100 for the engine rebuild of GotItRex, but were reliable with responses. Will say there was a lack of transparency at times with pricing, and quoting pre-gst was a frustration (I'd guess friends were quoted X but price drifted by time invoice came?).

I'd suggest the Gen V is a bad starting point, to me, masochistically, that was one of the interesting things (what can you do with a platform that doesn't have the support of say the gen 4). Happy to talk about my experiences good and bad, so others can learn from what I've learnt(and not fall into same traps). When she is running well, she is rather amazing. If you are in Melbourne, be happy once the lockdown is done, to take you out in the car!
JAWolf

Postby bigBADbenny » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:32 am

Love to catch up. Wish it was asap.
Considered a member profile here?
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby JAWolf » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:07 am

bigBADbenny wrote:Love to catch up. Wish it was asap.
Considered a member profile here?

Have one :3 http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=36421

I would love to see a few more Gen Vs getting some love, so happy to share the good/bad
JAWolf

Postby Libacy Gt » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:11 pm

JAWolf wrote:
bigBADbenny wrote:JAWolf, is that the car with the superfinished 5+1 6mt?

I was greedy, and was explicitly warned against going to that power level with original transmission - it was an unknown(really should of, as suggested kept to 250 awkw). Based on life events it is the least problematic(doing the car was an attempt at getting some "fun" in a rather grim time).

My main problem when shopping around was getting someone to actually work on the car. GetItRex would not return calls, when I did call them, they went from "We can do it if you are willing to wait" to "nah we won't do the job" (and this was on a basic engine rebuild with upgraded internals- ie. stronger pistons/rods/closed deck) - I tried a local shop, who said they'd do, and that was for a stock build, but they never returned calls to get a quote(after calling multiple times, to no response gave up). ADS were the only people who reliably responded prior to the work being carried out - they were within a few $100 for the engine rebuild of GotItRex, but were reliable with responses. Will say there was a lack of transparency at times with pricing, and quoting pre-gst was a frustration (I'd guess friends were quoted X but price drifted by time invoice came?).

I'd suggest the Gen V is a bad starting point, to me, masochistically, that was one of the interesting things (what can you do with a platform that doesn't have the support of say the gen 4). Happy to talk about my experiences good and bad, so others can learn from what I've learnt(and not fall into same traps). When she is running well, she is rather amazing. If you are in Melbourne, be happy once the lockdown is done, to take you out in the car!

i know exactly how you feel, went through the same trap with a much lower result then you currently have. If someone has unlimted funds then by all means go for it lol. Now that you have a 300kw sleeper wagon how is it treating you? are you having issues with it?
Libacy Gt

Postby JAWolf » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:43 pm

Libacy Gt wrote:i know exactly how you feel, went through the same trap with a much lower result then you currently have. If someone has unlimted funds then by all means go for it lol. Now that you have a 300kw sleeper wagon how is it treating you? are you having issues with it?

I'm averaging 4000 km per problem, basically car has to get timing belt replaced (was 12000 km old 8000 my driving), as it stripped the teeth somehow, it was replaced with a stronger (Tomei) belt. After things like that happen you kind of worry of it will happen again. I do know your pain there, and it is disheartening, and yeah my choices , when the original transmission died, were: have an expensive thing that does nothing, detune and reco original box, or upgrade

I hope there is a good option for you that allows you to enjoy what you have without worry, and you can get what you desire out of the car. Again I have a spare manual ECU... If that is needed if you wished to go to a manual conversation (would need to be unlocked from EcuTek flash, but I believe using Cobb access port with it can be used to overwrite it back to unlocked )
JAWolf

Postby Libacy Gt » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:07 am

JAWolf wrote:
Libacy Gt wrote:i know exactly how you feel, went through the same trap with a much lower result then you currently have. If someone has unlimted funds then by all means go for it lol. Now that you have a 300kw sleeper wagon how is it treating you? are you having issues with it?

I'm averaging 4000 km per problem, basically car has to get timing belt replaced (was 12000 km old 8000 my driving), as it stripped the teeth somehow, it was replaced with a stronger (Tomei) belt. After things like that happen you kind of worry of it will happen again. I do know your pain there, and it is disheartening, and yeah my choices , when the original transmission died, were: have an expensive thing that does nothing, detune and reco original box, or upgrade

I hope there is a good option for you that allows you to enjoy what you have without worry, and you can get what you desire out of the car. Again I have a spare manual ECU... If that is needed if you wished to go to a manual conversation (would need to be unlocked from EcuTek flash, but I believe using Cobb access port with it can be used to overwrite it back to unlocked )

Thanks for the offer , I won’t be upgrading to significantly higher power , that would require full auto rebuild , upgraded turbo and custom piping and fitment, maybe upgraded injectors, and will just go on an on, I’m getting it flexed fueled end of the month , I’ll tell them to max out the turbo and call it a day, I’m assuming will be around the 215-225kw Mark, if the transmission happens to give way then I’ll deal with it then , probably just recon it and dial down the turbo, but to flex it is my main priority now because not only will it help with me selling the car later down the line , at least then I can drive this thing long distances without worry and not to mention the ridiculous e85 prices

Btw please check your PM
Libacy Gt

Postby Libacy Gt » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:43 am

UPDATE:
Flex fuel has been done: couldnt push turbo past about 20psi due to back pressure, Plenty of torque and power at about 215kw on e85. Below is the dyno sheets. On the road goes good, struggling to shift into gear properly, abit of riding until engagement. This has more torque then many 300kw builds ive seen.

Also have noticed some coolant leak on the drivers side where Block meets cylinder heads. Not a good sign, i have been losing coolant for a long time now but never found any leaks and for some reason i just dismissed it.
Mechanics initially did a compression test because they thought the piston slap noise was piston rings busted or some sort of knock.
so compression test came out at: Cylinder 1: 125psi
Cylinder 2: 139psi
Cylinder 3: 134psi
Cylinder 4: 124psi
then they did a leakdown test which they said was perfect at 110psi across all 4 cylinders, so no leaks, and smoke test came out fine, so not sure how they missed the coolant pooling up. Will take it to the orginal engine builders to see whats going on.
Attachments
flex fuel hybrid turbo.jpg
flex fuel hybrid turbo.jpg (235.32 KiB) Viewed 5742 times
flex fuel hybrid turbo 1.jpg
flex fuel hybrid turbo 1.jpg (241.02 KiB) Viewed 5742 times
Libacy Gt

Postby Yowie » Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:34 pm

Very nice area under the curve there. Must be very satisfying as a road car*.

(*as opposed so some peaky motorsports-only thing).
Yowie

Car: SH Forester XT

Postby JAWolf » Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:41 pm

That is a solid power delivery, I really hope the last bits can be sorted and you can enjoy the car! I'm sure they can be.

Nothing like strong midrange torque.
JAWolf

Postby Libacy Gt » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:56 am

Yowie wrote:Very nice area under the curve there. Must be very satisfying as a road car*.

(*as opposed so some peaky motorsports-only thing).

i love fast acceleration in a car, thats the main thing for me, not much lag and that initial burst of power at low rpm, practical power i call it. I dont do track or drag strip , so its just what i need. ive put 98 fuel for the first time in i think 3 years, seemless transition with tune, its at e25 now, runs good, and fuel economy dropped from 22l/100km down to 13l/100km lol.
Libacy Gt

PreviousNext

Return to Post your mods